Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of changing fork seals. One side is apart, cleaned and ready for disassembly. I am concerned about getting the correct amount of fork oil installed. What is the best method. Measuring seems so inaccurate due to the amount of oil that going to "stick" to the container I pour from. So I was considering measuring the fork oil height. What is the correct distance from the top of the fork, as well as the correct way to measure? I assume I need to compress the fork a few times to release any trapped air?
I also thought I saw a write-up recently about aligning the forks by compressing both forks before tightening the triple tree clamps? Whats the best method to do this. Anything else I might want to know about replacing fork seals? TIA

Roger...:rockon:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ooops......change that to "assembly"....

Thanks again...

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
clymers has a bit about a homemade fork oil gauge - seems like it uses a cheap grease gun or some such to suck oil out of the forks to a predetermined level... If you have access to any clymers manual (even not for the kaw - they had the same instructions for my suzuki 550) look it up.

Personally, when I changed fork fluid on my 550 I went to the feed store and picked up a BIG syringe (biggest they had). Sucked oil in to the syringe and put it in the forks - a more uniform amount stays in the syringe than just pouring it in, and it seemed to work well (I didn't bother with a "measuring" devise).

Good luck

P.S. If you look at your post there's buttons below it - the leftmost button says "edit" - you can change something you missed or mis said easily that way.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think Bulldog has a writeup on changing the fork oil

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it!!!

Well....I took a ride around town yesterday....Home Depot, the feed store, and Napa auto parts. My quest ended... strangley enough... at a local animal hospital. There I explained my problem and the technician produced a 60 cc (1 cc=1 ml) plastic syringe. She told me to go home and take care of my "sick Kawasaki". No charge for the syringe. I put 360 ml of fork oil in each tube and I am confident of the accuracy.

Aint it just nice....when nice things happen!!

:smiley_th :smiley_th :smiley_th :smiley_th

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Here's to the helpful animal hospital :smiley_th

1 - 7 of 7 Posts