Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front end of the 1990 VN750 I just bought seems exceedingly soft. My technical manual says that if I unscrew the caps at the top of the fork legs, a schraeder valve will allow me to add some pressure to the chamber of each leg. I unscrewed the caps at the top of the legs, but... no valve! There's something that looks like a valve (it's threaded), but there's no hole, no pin; in short, it's not a valve. Anybody know if I can get more stiffness in there without changing the springs? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,734 Posts
I believe only the first few years had the fork valve. Heavier weight oil might stiffen it up some. Is it possible that some of the oil in there has leaked out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quite possible. I will check/change the oil and see how it feels. Was hoping there was some secret spot on the fork where I could adjust the stiffness and rebound (like on my mountain bike). If that doesn't work out, I guess there are new springs in my future...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I think the fork tube air valve was only used for about the first three years, `85-87'
Heavier fork oil will only slow the rebound, not give you stiffer springs.

I think I read a thread a while back about putting a different spacer in the top of the tubes to stiffen up the springs.
If I can find the link, I will post it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts