Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So these dust seals look like they need some attention this year. Just looking in the clymers and there are quite a few parts in there. If I get these replaced, then what else should I need to replace inside, if anything. Nothing seems to be leaking.
Thanks

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
So these dust seals look like they need some attention this year. Just looking in the clymers and there are quite a few parts in there. If I get these replaced, then what else should I need to replace inside, if anything. Nothing seems to be leaking.
Thanks

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Mine are cracked even worse than yours, so I will be watching to see where this thread goes. From my reading, I think we have to separate the fork tube from the outside slider tube, which means replacing the the top retaining ring too. IMHO, while it is apart that far, check and clean all the parts and change the fork oil.

lance`s complete DIY how-to rebuild the forks:http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12827

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
If all you do is replace the dust seal, you have to remove the wheel and the fork from the tree. After removing the fork, pry the dust seal off and replace. The oil seal involves more work. I did not seperate the forks when I replaced the oil seals. I worked them out the top, being careful not to scratch the slide side of the fork. Most guys here open them up and replace some of the inner components.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If all you do is replace the dust seal, you have to remove the wheel and the fork from the tree. After removing the fork, pry the dust seal off and replace. The oil seal involves more work. I did not seperate the forks when I replaced the oil seals. I worked them out the top, being careful not to scratch the slide side of the fork. Most guys here open them up and replace some of the inner components.
Thanks for the correction niterider. As usual I would have made more work for myself.:doh:
I have not noticed any oil leaking from my forks either, and they seemed to me to be working properly when I last rode the bike. Just deteriorating dust seals need to be replaced I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts