Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question
I just bought a set of used forks off a 1988 750 it has air fittings on top of the forks

My bike is a 2001 and does not have them

Is there an advantage to the air forks or the 2001 forks. ... and will they fit my bike

Matt

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow, I knew that this fork set up was discontinued years ago, but I never thought to ask that question.

Which is better? hmmmmm?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Why did they discontinue them? were they too much trouble to maintain and Kaw changed to simpler forks? or, Are the new shocks superior?

Hmmmmmm.

·
Super Moderator
11,926 Posts
The air forks should logicly be better..as they have the advantage of adding air. The internal componets are the same I believe. However..the fact that they will only hold 7psi each as their limit makes this advantage small. The installation of the progressive springs and 15w oil to either types of forks would be a vast improvement. Not sure if having a few pounds of air would be that noticeable. Filling each leg precisely the same is a challange also. Progressive does make a fork balancing kit that connects the two air valves and would make filling easier.
You also have to carefully examine older forks for dents, and scratches..as this would shorten the life of the seals and possibly cause leaks. I think for the trouble involved and slight benifit..you are better off with new forks as opposed to the older ones, but having an extra set of forks around can save you some $$$$ if yours get bent.
Install the progressive springs and if you have the $$ the SuperBrace fork brace .. this will make a much better improvement than using the air forks..
KM

1 - 3 of 3 Posts