Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am on a pretty long trip with a bunch of camping gear and a passenger. Now today was about a 200 mile ride. I noticed a bit of extra play in the front and it’s concerning me. Made it safe and all. But I was just checking the bike out and the front right fork cap screw seems stripped. It spins and gets sort of tight but then gets loose again. I couldn’t figure out if something was not lining up right or what. It looks pretty clean. Do I have to push down the front end to get it to bite properly? Are the 2 slots supposed to line up in a certain way? Do you think this is why the steering seemed a bit loose? Is this dangerous? Could I just get a nut to replace it? Sorry for all the loaded questions. Also, could it be just because of all the extra weight that this happened or why it feels like this? Thanks so much. We rode from Detroit to Saugatuck today. Staying another night here tomorrow so won’t be riding anymore until Friday. Any tips on a bunch of extra weight in the back would be appreciated too. THANKS

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
I'm not clear on what bolt/cap you're talking about. Right front... at the bottom? Top?

Need to identify which bolt it is in case it is causing the symptoms. Could be serious.

Added weight on the rear might make the front squirrelly. Can you move anything up front, or forward onto the seat?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: so I took the bike to this shop 1 mile from the motel. The guy was wearing a shirt from the bar I live around the corner from 200 miles from my house!!! Anyways... Mick checked it out and said to put more air in the tires. 42 in the rear and 36 in the front. That fork cap he looked at and is just a plastic covering and said it’s fine. He cranked around on the front end and said it’s fine but it’s gonna be weird with that much weight on the back.

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Yes it’s just a plastic cap to keep water out. If it’s loose a dab of silicon seal will hold it and can be removed when needed.

What tires do you have? Those pressures sound high to me. I ran 30/36 but that was the stock Bridgestones.

You can get some weight off the rear end by putting some stuff in a tank bag.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My tires are Dunlop D404. Rear is 150/90

front is 100/90 also Dunlop D404

I thought that was high too but he said with that weight that it’s a good idea. Would love a second opinion from the forum thanks everybody

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Tried to get back to you last night but the update had started.

Yes, tire pressure is not high, but with the extra weight, running a bit higher should be ok until you're done hauling.

I run 30/30 in mine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got 40 in the front now and 42 in the back. It’s been baking in the sun outside the motel all day. What do you think I should have it in the morning before the ride north?

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Probably really close to what it has now. After some riding it would be higher.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts