Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...with something that required the removal of the backrest/sissy bar (in my case the seat from a VN900), what do you do with your documentation now that you don't have a trunk? I'm thinking I'll just carry it in my jacket, as I never ride without it. But I kind of want to keep it all with the bike. Under the seat isn't really an option since it requires tools to get the seat off, so that wouldn't be real convenient if I get pulled over.

Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Not sure why you removed the "tail box" as most aftermarket seats still retain this. My Corbin seat ...or the Saddleman and Mustang simply replace the stock seat without losing the box. If you are saying to put on a seat from some other bike and took off the whole backrest and toolbox to do so...then:

There is a nice lockable box you can buy that attatches to your licence plate bracket for around 20 bucks:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5476/400/

KM

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Glad you streightened that out KM, had me worried, I thought the same thing, then I thought about the CRS and wasn't sure, didn't know if I was remembering right or not... I thought the used 06 I bought with the Corbin seat still had the backrest... Just thinking CRS has got you, can be about as bad as when it does get you sometimes...lol...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry, wasn't clear. I went the route of replacing the stock seat with one from a VN900. Because it's larger, I had to remove the sissy bar and backrest assembly, along with the trunk/toolbox. I've updated the first post to clarify that point.

That box that goes behind the license plate looks like a pretty good option. I'll consider that one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I also read on another post that another member was going to use the ears as storagew bins, since he had done the ear shave and they served no functional purpose. I was thinking of doing the same, i like the look of the ears on it butwant the performance and the extra room that the airbox would open up, makes carb work a lot easier.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
^ Yeah it does. As far as the original post goes, how about a fastened fork bag and a sealable plastic bag inside? You can carry your GPS if needed, wallet, proof of insurance, registration, cell phone in the rain, your fill-in-the-blank, all that jazz. It's really low profile and it works like a charm.

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nicely. Just had to make a bracket to attach it to the bike. Now just have to figure out how to put on a backrest for the wife.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, he told me he also used a Heritage backrest. Not sure if he had to make any modifications to it or not. But I'm not sure I want something with a Harley symbol on the back of my Vulcan. I'm still thinking through the possibilities. I kind of want to figure something out so that I can easily put on and take off the backrest, because I really like how the bike looks without one but definitely want one for when the wife is on so she can feel more secure.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Yeah, he told me he also used a Heritage backrest. Not sure if he had to make any modifications to it or not. But I'm not sure I want something with a Harley symbol on the back of my Vulcan. I'm still thinking through the possibilities. I kind of want to figure something out so that I can easily put on and take off the backrest, because I really like how the bike looks without one but definitely want one for when the wife is on so she can feel more secure.
I never ran a backrest with mine,but if a heritage backrest works ,you can find one on ebay or elsewhere made by cobra or jardine or some other aftermarket manufacturer with out the HD emblem.The way mine is made on my 1500 remove four bolts and all you have left is the side plates. Just some suggestions for you ,good luck .I'm sure you'll work out what suits you cause that's what it's all about anyway :)

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I never ran a backrest with mine,but if a heritage backrest works ,you can find one on ebay or elsewhere made by cobra or jardine or some other aftermarket manufacturer with out the HD emblem. :)
The one I bought didn't have the emblem on it. Sure it can be recognized as a hardly peice, nut not right away. I did have to cut the mounts to more asteticly match the bike . But that was no biggie. Here's a shot from the back.

This gives you an idea of the mount. I used the same holes the origional sissy bars mounted on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts