Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My battery died while I was riding. It came to a dead stop. I looked at my stator fuses (I have the three fuse mod) and two were blown. I replaced them and rode home with a fresh battery, but the headlight doesn't work now. I figure the stator is toast since it blew the fuses and the headlight isn't working.

I have a very tight schedule so if you'd be kind enough to give me the readings I should see (I know it's A/C, just don't remember how much) I am a bit to short on time to gather all the knowledge for testing it together. I appreciate it fellas!

Also, my second agenda for this thread was to document the teardown. :)

·
2,520 Posts
Your AC output between the any of the 3 stator leads should be 50-70.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Results are mixed. The readings below are with one fuse blown (One stator wire disconnected) because it keeps popping one of the 15a fuses, if that tells us anything. The readings however are taken on the stator side of the fuse link.

Case to ground, infinite ohms. Presumably no grounding present, all good.

wire to wire, .5 ohms roughly. (I did not unplug them I tested with everything hooked up).

Running voltage is 30 on 2 wires and little to none on 1 wire.

Before i blame the stator, can my VR be affecting these readings in any way?

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SO before a fuse blows, with all the wires connected I get no AC voltage from the stator. With one fuse out I get it from two wires........ Weird.......

I've done all the mods on this bike. Fuses, pickups, coils, etc.... I don't see a way anything could be affecting the stator since it creates its own energy. Should I be testing with the wires unplugged at any point that would make a difference? Saying, if the VR is bad and back feeding or something else that could be throwing the readings since it gives me voltage with two of 3 wires hooked up.

Now just to screw with me it's reading no ac voltage on my meter testing from wire to wire with fuses in, but the headlight is working properly when the bike is running (No mod on that). *Shakes head*

I'm showing 12v at the battery and the white/red wire at the junction box. Never rises nor falls, so battery only voltage. No AC voltage reading on stator with all three fuses in, but headlight is working.

Now it's periodically charging, and headlight isn't working. Changes its mind every hour.

·
I'm a rider
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
SO the good news, I STILL have never had a bad stator.... It's the VR spade connections failing. I've had SO MANY VR issues on ALL my bikes with melting connectors, burned spades, etc.... However I have always had the blue wire mod on all my bikes so this time the headlight thing screwed with me. I'd have went straight to the VR and checked the plug otherwise. I don't know why I can't get proper readings from my stator, but I'm chalking it up to a crappy DMM because once I redid the VR plug I got 14.8 V strong (up from 11.8 previously).

Went ahead and did the blue wire mod.

So all is well. :)

Reactions: Gaz73

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
so you basically just said redrum for the third time...lol

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: One1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts