Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with some of the fold-up or other portable trailers that are less expensive than the Kendon's? I need something that I can either disassemble or fold-up so that I can fit it in my garage.

I've looked at the Trailer In A Bag, and RHMC1, and this other stand-up kit, but I'm not as confident that these will pull as safely or as well.

Your shared experiences would be very appreciated.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
I can highly recommend this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356493_200356493

You'll have to supply the plywood / walls for it.

On mine, I didn't want it to fold, so I bolted it together and put one single piece of plywood for the floor. But, it is designed to fold up.

If you look at the customer photos on that link, you'll see my '89 VN750 on it. :)

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can highly recommend this one:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200356493_200356493

You'll have to supply the plywood / walls for it.

On mine, I didn't want it to fold, so I bolted it together and put one single piece of plywood for the floor. But, it is designed to fold up.

If you look at the customer photos on that link, you'll see my '89 VN750 on it. :)
It looks good. I think this Haul Master at Harbor Freight is very similar, and is only $289
Two questions ...
what did you do about ramps to get the bike up there?, and
how did it handle high speeds? Was the 12" tire an issue?

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
I bought a single folding ramp, which is about 10-12" wide, at Northern Tool. Don't see it on their site though. That's what I use. You can see it folded up on the back of the trailer here:

...I've used this trailer to haul the bike from Atlanta to Myrtle Beach, SC, and to Panama City Beach, FL, at speeds of up to 75 mph. Don't even notice the trailer is behind me, it is that smooth.

I dunno if the cheaper Harbor Freight one is as good a quality or not. Never messed with one of those.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Though...I did pick up that motorcycle front wheel chock at my local Harbor Freight. Works great!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have the same harbor freight trailer, bought the wheel chock at a motorcycle shop. And tada works great.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Do you guys who pull these trailers with the small wheels carry spare wheel bearings for side-of-the highway repairs?

I see the bearing sets for sale in flyers every summer and wonder how often the bearings fail on these small diameter wheels at highway speeds.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Do you guys who pull these trailers with the small wheels carry spare wheel bearings for side-of-the highway repairs?

I see the bearing sets for sale in flyers every summer and wonder how often the bearings fail on these small diameter wheels at highway speeds.
Nope...never even thought about it. *shrug*

About once a year, you're supposed to squirt grease in there though. There's a nipple thing there for it.

Need to get me a grease gun just to do that...thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
748 Posts

Nope; you have any idea how many million boat trailers have those same wheels and tires, and haul boats weighing upwards of 800+ pounds to the lake/river/bay all the time? The ones I see broke down on the side of the road are almost always two-axle trailers with large bass or ski boats on them, and car-size tires.

My tires rot before the wheel bearings will ever go bad.

Jim

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up buying this beast of a trailer. It's built like a brick $#!+house.
Stinger Trailer
It was $1,600 total, but I'm looking at it as a long term investment.

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Looks cool. I suppose that's great if all you do is haul a motorcycle. :)

I use mine not only for the motorcycle, but for hauling wood, camping stuff, furniture, etc. I even ended up building walls (removable) for mine.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
I use mine not only for the motorcycle, but for hauling wood, camping stuff, furniture, etc. I even ended up building walls (removable) for mine.
That is a really nice set up and leaves me with something to think about for the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts