Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I changed the oil, oil filter,& the antifreeze today and learned the hard way that the radiator drain plug was plastic, needless to say it's metal now.
One thing that was of some concern was that when I pulled the oil screen out there was some metal shavings built up on the screen, not a large amount, maybe an area of about 1/4", should I be worried about this or just kepp an eye on it and maybe change the oil again in a couple weeks after I've had a chance to ride it for awhile?
The other question I have, has anyone used the K&N oil filter, when I installed mine I filled it with oil & oiled the O-ring before installing, tightened as described on the filter,"screw filter on until it seats the mount plate, then turn another 7/8ths of a turn", and after riding around the block I noticed an oil trail mark on the starter which might just be run-off as some oil did drip out a little as I was installing, just wanted to know if anyone has any feedback on this filter. I know that if it does wind up being a leaker I'll be getting one that I've read about here.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
I've used 3 K&N oil filters, and have not had a leak. There is actually a torque spec for the oil filter (I think its only 7ft-lb) if you want to be a perfectionist.

The metal shavings could be a number of things. Any dark plasticy bits?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've used 3 K&N oil filters, and have not had a leak. There is actually a torque spec for the oil filter (I think its only 7ft-lb) if you want to be a perfectionist.

The metal shavings could be a number of things. Any dark plasticy bits?
No, no plastic bits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts