Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
vulcan lover/hater
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike ran perfectly last fall. When I got it out for the winter, reinstalled the tank, put a new diaphragm in the fuel tank valve (as I always do: the ethanol ruins it annually). I tried to start it, it runs for about 30 sec. on the front cylinder while the back cylinder floods: after several seconds begins dripping raw fuel out the first exhaust pipe joint. When I pull the plugs, the back ones are soaked.

Do I need to pull the carb and take it apart? My research has shown me that it is probably either a stuck float (likely) or a bad jet (unlikely: I don't know how a worn jet would cause this level of flooding, especially after running perfectly last fall).

I can't do anything (e.g. carb cleaner in the fuel) that requires the bike to run, because it doesn't run.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The bike ran perfectly last fall. When I got it out for the winter, reinstalled the tank, put a new diaphragm in the fuel tank valve (as I always do: the ethanol ruins it annually). I tried to start it, it runs for about 30 sec. on the front cylinder while the back cylinder floods: after several seconds begins dripping raw fuel out the first exhaust pipe joint. When I pull the plugs, the back ones are soaked.

Do I need to pull the carb and take it apart? My research has shown me that it is probably either a stuck float (likely) or a bad jet (unlikely: I don't know how a worn jet would cause this level of flooding, especially after running perfectly last fall).

I can't do anything (e.g. carb cleaner in the fuel) that requires the bike to run, because it doesn't run.
Based on the forums info, this is most probably a stuck float. :(

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Hello....I just went through your same ordeal last week.....exact same problem.....The bike ran better than ever on a Tuesday.....that Friday the rear cylinder had raw unburnt fuel flooding the rear cylinder and dripping from the exhaust crush gasket area. I was baffled because my friend and I had just rebuilt the carbs a month and a half before........Turned out to be rear carb float was cracked and full of fuel causing the float to stay on the bottom of the bowl......yours could just be stuck.......mine was cracked.....food for thought.:smiley_th

·
vulcan lover/hater
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for this idea. Mine is the California emissions model, and just looking at the engine makes me woozy at the thought of removing carbs. But if I have to...

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
California Emissions.....and you live in Ohio? Take all that useless crap off of there. working on the bike is a million times easier if you remove all that crap properly and coaster it and do an earshave. Also if you change to aftermarket exhaust and remove the goat's belly tank.....it's amazing how much more stuff you can get to.....not to mention the shedding of all that useless weight!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
California Emissions.....and you live in Ohio? Take all that useless crap off of there. working on the bike is a million times easier if you remove all that crap properly and coaster it and do an earshave. Also if you change to aftermarket exhaust and remove the goat's belly tank.....it's amazing how much more stuff you can get to.....not to mention the shedding of all that useless weight!
What he said............best thing I ever did was rip all that junk off the bike.......

·
vulcan lover/hater
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the inspiration! It's nice to know that this can be done. Again...thanks!
Problem: I don't know what you mean by "coaster it"; something about the west "coast"? (Remember: my nickname for this site is "geezer"!) What's an "earshave"?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had the same problem with mine after a run the rear cylinder was filling with fuel and peeing out over the floor, had the carbs checked and cleaned but I never thought to check the actual float itself ! it must be that which is the cause on my bike.

I took all the emission stuff off aswell and closed the reed valves, it ran 100 times better without all that crap on it.

(it does'nt run now tho as I have electrical probs)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Chris...forgot to mention to you in your other post...make sure your battery is good, and the stator is kicking out enough amps....a low battery/stator output will case starting and running problems too. Also check all the safety sensors...they go bad after awhile. I just bypassed all of mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts