Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Yall:
I've been thinking about some long trips this year, and am considering the best course of action if you have a flat hundreds of miles from home and don't know any reputable shops where you are stopped.

Do you have the bike towed? Use fix a flat? How do you deal with this? I'm sure it has happened to many over the years.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I think the RideOn is the best preventative measure as fc says.

One of these mushroom tire plugger kits is another option.
http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

Then you need an air pump of some kind.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
But if the worst happens be prepared with a plugging kit and one of the small 12v compressors and take it easy until you can get a tire and if the hole is in the sidewall ,I'd go for the tow ,better safe than wrecked.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
"Ride On" tire sealant will protect you from a flat tire situation in probably at least 90% of cases.

A huge advantage you have with this bike--it has tubeless tires. So a flat is in fact fairly easily repaired with a kit, in the vast majority of cases (& without tire removal--not so with a tubed tire).

When I took my VN750 in for its current Metzeler tires, the factory originals were still on the bike, with just over 11,000 miles. The back tire had not one, but two--yes, two--nails in it. They had been there for at least 3k miles!

When the mechanics there asked me if I knew they were there, I just smiled and said, "sure"...:)

The moral to the story: the right motorcycle tire sealant is wonderful stuff....:beerchug:

With that said, plan ahead for Murphy's Law anyway. Also take along a tire repair kit, and some sort of compact air pump. I carry a "Slime" brand air pump (available at Pep Boys, etc) that I run off of the bike's accessory leads when needed.

Be sure you know how to use your tire repair kit (and before you need it on the road)! I got an old set of reject tires from a dealer, and practiced using it until I got proficient plugging holes I punched in them.

You can also sign up for a bike club membership that will tow you if your tire is shredded beyond what tire sealant or a tire repair kit will fix. Be sure to read the club paperwork fine print, and find out what exceptions/exclusions they stipulate, and what mileage limit (if any) they impose for a tow.

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Speaking of Ride-On....... Do you think there is any difference between the 'car' formula and the 'bike' formula?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I too will be making a couple of 1000+ mile rides this summer and intend on purchasing one of these kits.

CO2 Tire Inflation and Repair Kit

CO2 Tire Inflation and Repair Kit

Damned if I know what the difference is beside the color, however, I figured I would link to them both for you.

Also, since I am already a AAA member, it was only an additional $30/year to add my bike on to my plan. They are EVERYWHERE and it includes trip interruption insurance, hotel reimbursement, etc. Might want to check into it...HERE

·
Registered
167 Posts
My question about ride-on: I live in a city and their site says it takes 3-5 miles of riding to warm up and spread out. During that time there may be slight vibrations. Most of my rides are about 5 miles unless I am taking a trip. I would like to add this to my tires, but for my riding would it be more annoyance than good?

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
Speaking of Ride-On....... Do you think there is any difference between the 'car' formula and the 'bike' formula?
They say there is.. so from my thinking , I'd use the motorcycle formula in your bike...why take chances?

+1 on taking a tire plugger kit and a small electric pump. You can buy one of those tiny Slime brand pumps at Wall mart for 10 bucks.

The CO2 kits are going to be kinda useless if you don't bring enough CO2 cartridges. They are completely useless if you need to re-seat your tire...
Where the pump can give you a limitless supply of air and takes up a very small space.

I like the "sticky string" repair kits myself. Get a tube of rubber cement to use with them...this makes inserting the plug easier as it "lubes" the plug some, and helps make a tighter seal when it dries.

The one I got was pretty cheap..just two screwdriver looking things..one that is basicly a round rasp to clean out the punture hole, and the other the insertion tool for installing the plug. The plug is just a 4 inch long round band of rubber, around a 1/4 inch in diameter ......with a coating of rubber adhesive. Sometimes this kinda gets rubbed off while trying to insert the plug in the tire, hence the suggestion to supplement the plug with a smear of extra rubber cement .

I keep a small razor knife in the kit to cut off the excess plug material after installing, and a tube of hand cleaner and few papeer towels to get the goo off my hands when I am done.

Those cans of "tire sealant" you can buy do not always do the trick. ...but can be used if you don't have any of the above stuff on hand.

Ride On by the way is put in the tire prior to getting a puncture...and as mentioned sometimes seals up holes without you even knowing one was there.....
.....so that is why it is a good idea to examine your tires every now and then. ;)

KM

·
Banned
431 Posts
I would join VROC (if you haven't already) and print out the VERS (VROC emergency road service) list of volunteers that may be able to help you out along the way. I keep a copy in my tool kit/trunk; never know where the road my lead so it's always nice to have someone to call that cares

X2 on the ride-on (not sure if it will really help 90% of the time, sounds a little optimistic), and if you really worried/have extra room, take a patch kit and compressor... or some type of fix-a-flat temporary patch

·
Registered
555 Posts
Definately join vroc. I did awhile ago. So if your ever in wisconsin with a flat I am listed on vroc.
scuba vroc#32658

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Definately join vroc. I did awhile ago. So if your ever in wisconsin with a flat I am listed on vroc.
x3 on the VROC ,I am listed in KY.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been running ride on in my tires for several years now and I've been lucky enough to have never needed it until a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, the tire that needed it I had only recently installed and didn't have an Sealant to put in it at the time and I kinda forgot about it. By the way, the tire I am speaking about is a BF Goodrich TA Radial Car tire. Well, after about 4,000 miles of riding I got home the other day with a roofing nail sunk all the way up to the tread in the middle of the tire. I was figuring on taking the tire off and patching it from the inside then re-installing it, but I was kinda pressed for time that weekend and I remembered that I had two old tubes in the shop from some previous tires that I had run with TPS in them. I took the valve stems out, squeezed a full bottle of TPS out of the tubes and installed it in the car tire after pulling the nail and watching the tire go flat in about a minute. When I put the air to it I rolled the bike so that the hole was straight down and went inside to get my gear so I could go ride it. By the time I came out the air had stopped leaking and I took it out for a spin. Came back, inflated to proper pressure and I've put another thousand on the tire since then without any loss of air pressure. Seems like pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I ordered ride-on this morning. I heard alot of bad things about the slime tire sealant and heard nothing but good things about ride-on tire sealant. After watching the ride-on video on youtube i knew I made the right choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts