Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
The modulator flashes the headlight much faster than you could by hand, and you can see it from a long way back. They are very common around here, and most everybody knows what they are. But like I said, there are a few cagers that are going to do their best to nail you no matter what you do, so while I believe in high visibility, I still have to assume I'm invisible. But I have had fewer close calls than when I used to wear all black. A rider dressed in black on a mostly black bike is all but invisible to pretty much everyone. Jerry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some bikes also have hazard lights or caution lights installed, if you are very afraid they won't see you, you could always turn them on, all your blinkers blink, your main head light flicks from high to low. You're a one man light show, the truth is, if they want to hit you they will. I've a friend who has ridden for quite a while and recently told me that he was riding and laid on his horn even swirved to try and avoid being hit by a truck who accelerated when he approached the intersection. The man hit him, totaled his bike, the truck had a high brush guard and that part was bent quite a bit. My friend broke his leg in two places ribs and suffered a concussion. he was laying on the ground and the man walked up before police arrived and stated "Don't worry this isn't the first biker I've hit." I was told that if not for the broken bones he'd have spared no effort to beat the living daylights out of the man. The good news was the man's insurance paid for hospital bills and a new bike. Bad news is there are people out there that think to themselves "20points!"

·
Registered
30 Posts
Headlight Modulator

But if it's always flashing, not just a 'quick' flash then the cagers' will at least see you better.

Rich

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Depending on how many times you flash you head light, some people might get confused and misread what you are trying to indicate. Someone could mistakingly think you are trying to tell them to go ahead.

Then there is other side of it, like mentioned above, that some people really just don't give a damn and feel that because they are bigger than you, and it's not gonna hurt them if they hit you, they have somewhere they have to be so you better slow down because they are going whether you like it or not.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
There's an intersection near where I live that begs for an accident to happen every time I cross it on my 750, especially when there's nobody in it at the time . When I don't see anyone there turn on my high beams (day or night), slow down a bit and toot the horn as I approach. But when someone is already there I would never flash the high beams or toot the horn in case the idiot thought that I was signaling him to go.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
I think you're on the right track, but if you really feel this is an effective strategy, go ahead and "bite the bullet" and get a headlamp modulator. They're a relatively simple install. These devices come with sensors that turn them off automatically at night, avoiding an obvious major problem.
I've seen bikes running with these modulators. Sort of weird to see them at first. I thought they might have just been something with the new bikes. Not a bad idea, though. You cannot mistake there is something coming.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
I have a modulator and their is al,ost no way anyone will take it for "go ahead"' The flash is to quick and repetative. That said I also have 130 DB horns to get their attention if they can't see the bike and flashing lights
Yup... Run my modulator 100% of the time during daylight hours and have my 136dB air horns as back-up. People rarely pull in front of me and when they do, I wake them up.

·
Daily rider
1,043 Posts
Some bikes also have hazard lights or caution lights installed,
My 2001 VN750 had flashers on it. I don't know if that was true with every model, but I thought it was a good idea. My 2003 VN1600 doesn't have it. Kawasaki must have thought it wasn't used enough or something.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
mod

Yup... Run my modulator 100% of the time during daylight hours and have my 136dB air horns as back-up. People rarely pull in front of me and when they do, I wake them up.
Me too!

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
When approaching a busy intersection I don't flash the lights but instead tend to weave it just a bit right and left. Just enough to wiggle the light back and forth, sideways. The theory is to make the lights do something "different" and grab some modicum of attention.
Flashing and horns are always backups.
Let's face it, nothing will work all of the time. My head is on a swivel and my hands/feet are ready to react as quickly as I can.
It gets old really quick to smooth out the pucker mark that's left on the seat because of some bozo pulling out in front of you.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Thats why i like touring more. I still need to stay in practice though

·
Into the Darkness
272 Posts
Well the problem with flashing the bright beams at intersections may get other motorists to think that you are a police officer on a motorcycle. Which in a lot of different places you can actually get a citation for doing so because emergency vehicles have wig-wags which make your high beams flash, and used a lot at intersections. I myself am a fire fighter, and I have my emergency lights as well as wig-wags on my truck. The only time those wig-wags are used is at intersections. With this idea yes it is a good idea that you have, but there is legal things to look at with it. 99.9% of the time at intersections if you flash the high beams you are giving the ok for the other driver to go ahead and go which could result in a motorcycle vs. car traumatic accident. This is just my opinion on this topic, but with being a fire fighter, and EMT wig-wags that cause high beams to flash could cause problems, and in way it is the same as just normally flipping the switch to flash your head lights.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
When approaching a busy intersection I don't flash the lights but instead tend to weave it just a bit right and left. Just enough to wiggle the light back and forth, sideways. The theory is to make the lights do something "different" and grab some modicum of attention.
+100 on that. It is what I have been doing and it works. Flashing your lights is not really a good idea, Period. It may work on some drivers, but not on all, and it only takes one to kill you.

You only can get busted for "flashing you lights" and making someone think you are a cop if your are riding behind someone here. They are not going to give you a ticket for flashing you lights to prevent an oncoming car from hitting you. You might get a warning.

If you have driving lights on each side of the headlight and have a wig-wag circuit on them, yeah, you might have a problem.

So stop messing with your lights and pay attention. Slow down for intersections and if you see a car that might violate your space coming at you, sweep the bike left and right quickly before entering the intersection.

KM

21 - 34 of 34 Posts