Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I have replaced my rear signals with "Auto Gem baby bullets" lights, two wire set up and they are not blinking. I am not sure if it means my relay is shot... All I hear when I engage the signal is a rapid clicking noise and the signal comes on but does not blink.

So does this mean my relay is dead?

Thanks

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Hey all

I have replaced my rear signals with "Auto Gem baby bullets" lights, two wire set up and they are not blinking. I am not sure if it means my relay is shot... All I hear when I engage the signal is a rapid clicking noise and the signal comes on but does not blink.
So does this mean my relay is dead?

Thanks
Does this mean the new signals light up, but do not flash?
Or does only the dash indicator light come on?
Will the 4 way flashers activate on all 4 lights?
Are the new lights LEDs?
Have the front signals previously been changed out for LEDs?
Did you test the lights to insure they would light before installing them?

If the flasher worked with the stock incandescent bulbs, it is likely still ok, but it may not be compatible with the new signals, if they are considerably higher watts.

Conversely if front and rear lights are both LEDs, they do not draw enough power to operate the OEM flasher. In this case you need a new one. I know lance posted a link for one previously. Check anyone who sells LED signals, they should have a compatible flasher relay.

In my autos, when the signal flasher unit blinks too fast, it usually indicates that too many bulbs are in the circuit. ie. If the flasher is designed for 2 bulbs, and I hook up a trailer, then the 3rd bulb causes a higher current (amps) draw, and the flasher heats up faster, causing it to cycle faster.

On the other hand, when the dash indicator light stays on when activated, instead of flashing, it indicates a missing or burned out bulb. The flasher unit also does not make any clicking when the light stays on.

So your rapid clicking of the flasher relay and the light staying on at the same time is counter to my experience.

If you can answer the questions at the beginning of the post, we can pin point where the problem is.:smiley_th

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does this mean the new signals light up, but do not flash?
Yes​

Or does only the dash indicator light come on?

Umm... no dash right now.. I took it off and have not replaced it yet.​

Will the 4 way flashers activate on all 4 lights?

hazards have the same effect, lights are continuous on and there is a rapid clicking noise coming from the signal relay. (no front signals.. I took em off:))​

Are the new lights LEDs?

incandescent​

Have the front signals previously been changed out for LEDs?

again no LEDs.. no front signals​

Did you test the lights to insure they would light before installing them?

umm... no.... oops​

If the flasher worked with the stock incandescent bulbs, it is likely still ok, but it may not be compatible with the new signals, if they are considerably higher watts.

I am thinking they are lower watts... and with no front signals lower draw?​

Conversely if front and rear lights are both LEDs, they do not draw enough power to operate the OEM flasher. In this case you need a new one. I know lance posted a link for one previously. Check anyone who sells LED signals, they should have a compatible flasher relay.

I am thinking this may be the issue since I eliminated the front signals and the new rear ones are much smaller, I think the bulb is a 14 Volt 0.27 Amp Miniature Wedge Base bulb.​

thoughts? Should I find a different relay perhaps one for LEDs?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Switch to an Electronic flasher unit. Most Auto Parts stores carry them. :beerchug:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Switch to an Electronic flasher unit. Most Auto Parts stores carry them. :beerchug:
Something like this perhaps?

Blazer/11-15 Volts 3 Terminal 2 Lamps for Turn Signal / 4 Lamps for Hazard Warning Electronic Flasher for Newer Import Cars, Trucks and Some American Vehicles

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Something like this perhaps?

Blazer/11-15 Volts 3 Terminal 2 Lamps for Turn Signal / 4 Lamps for Hazard Warning Electronic Flasher for Newer Import Cars, Trucks and Some American Vehicles
Use the Tridon EP34 12v 3 Terminal electronic Flasher. :beerchug:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2 to lance.

Did the OEM rear signals flash with the front signals removed? Logic tells me that the flasher relay should have interpreted that as a burned out bulb, and the rear signal stay on and not flash either.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
mine works with either end but it flashes faster with a bulb blown,seems I didn't read all the posts so excuse my lazy ways ,but if it is clicking too fast with the stock flasher it is because of low amp draw and Lance has given the best advice and that is an electronic Flasher that doesn't work off of a load but an internal timer.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The electronic flasher will usualy cure: Fast blinking, Slow blinking and no blinking symptoms. :beerchug:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got an electronic flasher relay, my local autozone didnt carry the tridon, but the parts wizard assured me the blazer was the same product only a different manufacturer... I popped it in this morning, and....

No Change... :doh:

So now I am thinking maybe grounding? The lights did not have a wire identified for ground, so I just wired them up, should it make a difference?

I had the whole thing apart and it is a very very simple setup internally.

Both wires connect to a female wedge end internally and the bulb slides into that wedge and contacts both wires individually. (if that makes sense)

I am not sure how it is grounded, unless it uses the housing which is all metal.

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Are these bulbs dual element (1157) type or single element? Does the bulb socket ground to the body for its ground? Do the sockets match the bulbs? i.e. bulbs dual element, socket two contact points...??

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Got an electronic flasher relay, my local autozone didnt carry the tridon, but the parts wizard assured me the blazer was the same product only a different manufacturer... I popped it in this morning, and....

No Change... :doh:

So now I am thinking maybe grounding? The lights did not have a wire identified for ground, so I just wired them up, should it make a difference?

I had the whole thing apart and it is a very very simple setup internally.

Both wires connect to a female wedge end internally and the bulb slides into that wedge and contacts both wires individually. (if that makes sense)

I am not sure how it is grounded, unless it uses the housing which is all metal.

any thoughts?
The signals have two wires going to them, the black/yellow one is the ground.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are these bulbs dual element (1157) type or single element? Does the bulb socket ground to the body for its ground? Do the sockets match the bulbs? i.e. bulbs dual element, socket two contact points...??
Single element bulb, and the socket is made from plastic.

The wires are connected to wedge type socket. According to the website some of the other lights they sell are not polarity sensitive, although it does not specifically state this one is or is not. The bulb is a 194 wedge base (common automotive bulb), I spoke to the owner of the company and he said he thinks it maybe grounding or possibly a load issue...

So, I do not have the directionals anymore putting the stock back on is not an option... any other thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Ok, I'm finally on the same page with ya! You're trying to use these alone in the rear for turn signals, have no front signals and these are single element basic automotive marker lights. Now I'm really thinking its a load issue since these bulbs are really low wattage, compared with the 1156 and 1157 which were BOTH in the flasher circuit before and individually are way higher wattage than the wedge bulb. Just for grins, why don't you wire up your old signals and see if they still work?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just for grins, why don't you wire up your old signals and see if they still work?
Umm.... (maybe you missed the part above) :p

So, I do not have the directionals anymore putting the stock back on is not an option... any other thoughts?
So now I am back to how to increase the load or some other kind of fix...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Sorry. I obviously can't read a whole sentence. Do you have access to someone's junk pile or yard where you can pull an old tail light socket and use it to test the load theory? In the electrical section at walmart you could probably get a tail light rig for 5 bucks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Sorry. I obviously can't read a whole sentence. Do you have access to someone's junk pile or yard where you can pull an old tail light socket and use it to test the load theory? In the electrical section at walmart you could probably get a tail light rig for 5 bucks.
I could try that... at least to see if it is a load issue.. but then if it is what would be a permenant fix? Differently rated relay? (adding more lights is not an option... it kinda goes against the old skool bobber look) Some kind of load equalizer (if such a thing exists)...

*edit* ok so there is such a thing as a load equalizer... but the metric ones from badlands are like 60$.. that is a lot of green to fix what should be a simple issue right?

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
nOObbobber:

It's a ground issue. Take a jumper wire and hook it from the battery ground to the metal shaft on the light case.

See if it works then.

Honda used a lamp holder like that in which they had a ground wire with a Square washer type piece soldered to it.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
Like this......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts