Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So I pulled into a gas station yesterday on the way home from work to fill up. After filling up, I touched the starter button, just a tap to see how easy it would fire up (pun). The engine gave a big back fire pop - didn't think much of it, it's done that before when hot (it was 86 yesterday).

A moment later, smoke was rolling out from under the gas tank. I turned off the key thinking it might be electrical, but noooo. Flames started licking from under the right side of the FULL gas tank.

I got to yell 'WE GOT FIRE HERE' at a gas station. That was fun.

I jumped off the bike (by this time it was really flaming) and saw the rear foam air filter burning - sending licks of flame up the side of the tank.

I had fingerless gloves on so I figured I wouldn't get my hand totally burnt, grabbed the burning air filter, ripped it off the carb, tossed it into the parking lot where some good citizens stomped it out. There was fire left on the remaining foam stuck to the carb so I was able to blow that out like a candle (thanks to my musical training on the TUBA, I had plenty of air to do that).

I picked up and dipped the now smoldering, what's left of my rear air filter, in the gas stations' window washing tub to douse any hot spots and tossed it in the garbage.

With the excitment over, calmly sat back down on the saddle, started it up, and continued on home. Didn't run well at all on the interstate, w/o the filter; really messed with the CV function of the carb.

Pay day today so I get new filter pods!

Ride safe, you never know what's coming

DT

·
Louder IS better!
289 Posts
wow, I was waitinin to read "and it burned to the ground...no more vulcan" glad to hear it was a small fire and you and the bike are ok.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Yeah, nice job acting level headed, that could've gone a whole lot worse in a variety of ways. Nice save.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
who says people on 750's aren't Bad to the bone ,and some quick thinking too.Sounds Like I 'd like to have you around for back upLOL

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
WOW, glad ya got it under control before it ended up any worse!!

Have you figured out what caused the momentary excitement?

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
WOW, glad ya got it under control before it ended up any worse!!

Have you figured out what caused the momentary excitement?
My first guess was the fire!!I couldn't help it Hyper,I thought you left a high slow one hanging over the plate and had to swing,I can't believe I am the only smart aleck that found that humorous,Denny

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The babe on the chopper?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
My first guess was the fire!!I couldn't help it Hyper,I thought you left a high slow one hanging over the plate and had to swing,I can't believe I am the only smart aleck that found that humorous,Denny

your not, that just made my friggin day. well that and my bike starting after reassembly even if it was running rough!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
sounds like good news again ,wib:rockon:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Could the fire be a result of oil collecting in the ear from a breather or vent tube, and ignited by the back fire?

I was expecting another story like Jace Bror`s, burning up a bike he had only had for a week, when brittle fuel lines broke and spilled gas on a hot engine.

Wow, fire at a service station, that could have turned into serious fireworks. I`m glad you kept your cool, (pun intended), and kept damage to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all...

Thumb is healed and new K&N style filters are in place now. I wanted to replace the old with new UNI FOAM filters (best for filtration) but the new model that fits our carbs is now a double layer foam at twice the price.

EMGO makes a K&N clone for $9.95 so I picked up two of those this week. Jetting looks about the same so I'm good. I didn't want to raise the tank, but had too.

DT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts