Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you all for your replies. I was able to get the rod (pn 39110) in without splitting the case open with the help of my father in law " The great one " with removing clutch and stator and of course it being a 2 man job and A LOT of patience was able to remove the broken rod from a small hole on the stator side using a ratchet w/extension (That was the easy part) replacing the new rod was a bit difficult but we managed to get it in using a rubber hose inserting it from stator side while helper #2 holds pn13161 in place from clutch side (we used an old wire hanger) the nuts on the rod were set prior to replacing, with only the shifter side having put lock tight. once the rod was screwed into pn13161 we unwound it (using a flat head srewdriver) almost to the point it would fall out (keep in mind counting every 1/4 turn) the whole assembly with pn13242a was disconnected from the motor for easier accessability. Now here is why we had to keep count of how many turns we unwound it because it took us a few tries just to get it to screw into pn13242a. once we got the rod in, using a wrench tightened the nut on pn13161 first (because it had the lock tight) then tightened pn13241a last and used lock tight. At this point the assembly was put back in place and we checked to make sure it could shift through all the gears before putting the clutch and stator back together. It was a long road getting a $7 part in without splitting the case but it is possible. why you might ask did we do it ourselves? well the bike cost me $500 (Hence it was broken) to own it, the shop wanted $2000 to do the job (minimum cost) also the only place that had an engine where im at wanted $1800. I could have bought a whole bike that worked for the price to fix this one. The bike was put back together and taken out for a test drive, it shfts with ease through all gears with no problems. So it is possible to do it without splitting the case open but it will require time, patience and a little bit of Macgyver Mechanics to do. I hope this might help someone who has had the same problem as me and cant afford to send it to the shop.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Good job and a good description of how you accomplished it.
Until I read this post, I would have said it can`t be done.
Glad to hear that I would be wrong.

Do you have small hands to be able to work inside the case?
I`m just thinking my big mitts would probably be a tight fit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Yeah, I can not believe you accomplished this!

How much torque were you able to ably to the lock nuts?

WOW!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have XL hands LOL...but a lot of the work is done outside of the case using needle nose pliers extensions and so forth. I would have love to take pictures but unfortunately all people would have seen were our big hands :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can get a lot of tourque on the lock nuts once the rod is screwed in on both ends...just keep in mind that the assembly on the gear side (13242a) needed to be removed from the case in order to bring it closer to the rod and better manuverability once screwed in the person on clutch side holds pn1342a down using a flat head screwdriver or similar tool while other person wrenches it in tight thats why only one side had the lock tight applied (because if you lock tight both ends there is a high possibility that there will be at least a thread of play). This was a very tidious process and now i can see why the shop would charge at least $2000 to do the job, however it can be done. I cannot stress enough about how patient you must be with this and having some surgical skills are needed LOL because thats what it feels like while working with this project. there is no room to get any hands in there only a finger or two, the whole job consists of using needle nose pliers, extendable magnets (the one that looks like an car antenna) XL wrenches (for the length) and a home made tool using an old wire hanger which one end was made into a loop to help manuver pn13161 while guiding the rod in to be screwed. If you have taken the clutch and stators out you will know what holes im talking about and how small the openings are so the farther your hands are away from the hole the better your view will be to see what you are doing. Again I hope this helps someone out and I try to be as detailed as possible so if you are confused dont hesitate to say and I will try to re iterate.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Great idea...Thanks - :rockon: -

·
Registered
27 Posts
That sounds very difficult. I will be attempting the same thing over the next few weeks. I will be sure to include pictures and videos if you can see anything in the videos.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
That sounds very difficult. I will be attempting the same thing over the next few weeks. I will be sure to include pictures and videos if you can see anything in the videos.
I've got a bike sitting in the garage just waiting for me to attempt this fix. Looking forward to any pictures/video you can provide. The pictures in the repair manual don't illustrate what can be accessed through those tiny holes in the case. Wonder why?

Good luck on the attempt!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will do thorn. I just got the engine loose tonight. I will be posting more as the project moves toward. If you live in chicago land I would not mind getting together and going through it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I'd love to practice screwing this up on someone else's ride, but I'm in PA and I don't think the wife would want me to leave her and the kids for a few days to "just screw one metal piece into another".

I recall seeing a picture in the forums of someone who bypassed the interior linkage by drilling through the left side cover and adding another shaft right at the shifter pawl, but I can't seem to find that now. Anyone know the source of that?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
WOW. That is a pretty shifty looking job. It is pretty much whatch I want to do but no if it will look like that in the end. I'm going to try and draw something up in modeling software first. Thanks for the idea though

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
haha,shifty looking job

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shifty is a perfect way to discribe that job. ****ty works too but shifty is more socially appropriate. You all knew what I meant anyways. I'm just happy you all got a laugh out of it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts