Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my old leather jacket is pretty torn up, plus it didn't have any armor, so this spring i bought a nice Tourmaster Mesh jacket.
but its not to warm, and i really want to get another leather jacket, a brown one.

i've been eyeing this one for a long time:
Firstgear-Scout-Leather-Jacket

thats a lot of cash, but maybe i could justify it if i could wear it all the time as a normal winter jacket.

anybody have one of these?
are they comfortable enough to wear all the time?

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts

thats a lot of cash, but maybe i could justify it if i could wear it all the time as a normal winter jacket.

I have no experience with the Firstgear Scout, but if you're going to spend that much money, I suggest that you also take a look at the jackets by Fox Creek Leather. I own a vented bomber jacket, and I love it for a million reasons. But a year ago it saved my hide when I laid my bike down on the interstate.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/60-mens-all-season-motorcycle-jackets/351-vented-bomber-motorcycle-jacket

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
my old leather jacket is pretty torn up, plus it didn't have any armor, so this spring i bought a nice Tourmaster Mesh jacket.
but its not to warm, and i really want to get another leather jacket, a brown one.

That is a nice jacket but not in the budget for me.I've been lookin at these

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...et-Mens-Leather-Motorcycle-Jacket/138100.html

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Those jackets look cool. I like the brown or distressed ones.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts

It has been my experiance that most of the jackets they make now for bike riders are not that comfortable as every day jackets. The jackets are "cut" to fit well when one is sitting on a bike with their arms outstretched . so they just feel weird if you are not riding a bike.

I do not own this particular jacket, but did try one on. I ended up buying a heavier grade waterproof textile jacket instead...for alot less money...that I think will be much warmer (and be more visable).

I love leather, but untill I can afford an Aerostich Transit suit:

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-suits/transit-suit/transit-two-piece-suit.html

I'll stick with my waterproof, breathable , high vis textile gear.

The Scout is a really nice jacket, but I would not suggest is as a winter -off the bike coat.

KM

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I'm going to try the Scorpion All In leather jacket from Newenough. They are on closeout for $139.00 and ship for free. The jackets have armour and reflective piping for better visability. I have a Scorpion burnout textile jacket that is actually warmer than my Milwaukee leather jacket, and I hope the All in will be warmer than either. The lining is removable, and the coat has vents to make it more versatile.
It might be worth a look.
Firstgear stuff that I have seen looked well made and comfortable. It should work well for you if that's what you decide. It's a good looking jacket.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great, thanks for all the reply's.
i didn't think a M/C jacket would be to comfortable for everyday use, due to the arms being so long and 'pre-bent' and the armor. my Tourmaster isn't an everyday jacket either.
but i did like this one from the LeatherUp.com link.
Retro-Brown-Bandit-Buffalo-Leather-Cruiser-Motorcycle-Jacket-with-Level-3-Armor

i'll give it a couple days to mull it over and probably go with that one until i see the Scout on a 1/2 price sale somewhere.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey guys,

Ya'll are gonna love me for this one,

Check out this website for great leather deals:

http://www.myleather.com/

I've never found anything more affordable than what this website has got to offer over the entire web.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nah they are not chinese mate.

I was looking to import them to where I live so I did a bit of homework.

They are actually taylored in Pakistan so you can imagine how the cheap work force lowers the prices. They have lots of cows there too so I suppose they ain't short of the raw material either. The leather quality is absolutely worth what you pay for. A friend of mine bought one for about USD100 off of Pakistani a shop in Malaysia and it comes with full armor. Looks pretty sharp too. At 1.2mm leather thickness it really was a bargain.

I once crashed a bike at about 60mph and I was wearing something similar to those at the time. With no armor/padding. I walked out of the crash with a small scratch on my elbow. That thing truly saved my butt in that crash. PLUS, the Jacket was not torn in the crash. Just a bit scratched and it is not even visible.

If anyone is tight on budget, I absolutely recommend the leather from the site. Those stuff are totally safer than the chinese crap made of anything but genuine leather.

·
Registered
659 Posts
That is a nice jacket but not in the budget for me.I've been lookin at these

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Mens-Mot...et-Mens-Leather-Motorcycle-Jacket/138100.html
Hey Denny,

I just ordered that exact same jacket from Leather up. Not sure what size you are, but I am a 56 chest. I ordered the 5XL and it was too small. :doh: It was also pretty cheaply made. One of the wrist zippers came apart the first time I closed it. I sent it back and went and bought one here I could try on first. Worth the extra $$ for that.

Now, I have a friend who just got a different even cheaper leather jacket from them and he loves it. He also wear's much smaller size that I do. One other thing, and I'm not sure how to check this in advance, but the jacket my friend got was made in Pakistan. The one I got was made in China. I think there is a huge difference.

The larger sizes on motorcycle gear is a joke. I wear a 2XL shirt. To order a 5XL jacket and have it be too small is friggin ludricious. Rant over.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts