Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my first bike (1996 Vulcan 750) and I love it. It needs some maintenance though, and so this weekend I started with an oil change. Read all the info in the Vulcan Verses, then set about doing it. Having been an auto mechanic for several years, I didn't think this would be a big deal...

Put a wrench on the 17mm Oil Cap, turned it, and the damn thing broke off and fell in the oil pan. I should have known it by looking at it, but the cap is made of pot aluminum.

With any luck, one of the local Kawi dealers will have this in stock, since this is my primary transportation.

QUESTION: I'll be going through and doing all the maintenance listed on page 1-8 of the factory service manual, and I'm wondering if there are any other overly sensitive parts I'll come across that will break as a matter of course.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome! to the fun. 1st are you refuring to the oil plug on the bottom left side of the engine near the kick stand? Never had that problem! butt don't forget to check the oil screen and clean it look for metal chips and rubber chips Hopefully every thing looks good. Depending on how the bike was maintained and Element exposure factors. The only things that can give you problems are plastic and rubber parts Had my radiator plug fail(plastic) and some rubber grommets. Mine a 92 with 26K .Carbs can be your biggest headake. Make sure all your cables are lubed and adjusted. Many say Seafoam! My 2 cents use Stable Marine treament for Ethinol. Works great for me. Clymer manual is also usefull. Let the fun begin!!!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Welcome. Here are some oil filler caps on ebay: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from=R40&_trksid=p3841.m39.l1313&_nkw=vn750+oil+cap&_sacat= Not sure what a stealership will charge.

Yours was probably over tightened by the PO and cracked. There's an O-ring on the bottom of the cap and it only needs to be finger tight. As far as anything else to be on the look out for, be careful when removing the plugs. Do it when the bike is stone cold. If the PO didn't use antiseize on the plugs, they can strip the aluminum threads in the cylinder. But that applys to any plug screwed into aluminum. Like anything mechanical, if it's not treated properly, it can break.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Just got my first bike (1996 Vulcan 750) and I love it. It needs some maintenance though, and so this weekend I started with an oil change. Read all the info in the Vulcan Verses, then set about doing it. Having been an auto mechanic for several years, I didn't think this would be a big deal...

Put a wrench on the 17mm Oil Cap, turned it, and the damn thing broke off and fell in the oil pan. I should have known it by looking at it, but the cap is made of pot aluminum.

With any luck, one of the local Kawi dealers will have this in stock, since this is my primary transportation.

QUESTION: I'll be going through and doing all the maintenance listed on page 1-8 of the service manual, and I'm wondering if there are any other overly sensitive parts I'll come across that will break as a matter of course.
You have me confused.

The oil filler cap has a raised bar-like section across the middle to finger tighten it.
The left side oil drain plug has a hex head (not sure if the size is 17 mm or not). It has the spring and filter screen behind it.
Was it the filler cap or drain bolt which broke?:hitanykey

BTW, welcome to the Vulcan madness.:smiley_th

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for the confusion. The part that broke is the oil screen cap, the part you loosen on the left side of the engine to drain the oil. (Spring and oil screen behind it.) Not the filler cap. Part number 11012-1483.

Turns out the replacement part will take 3-5 business days to get to me.

Anybody got one I can buy?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Sorry for the confusion. The part that broke is the oil screen cap, the part you loosen on the left side of the engine to drain the oil. (Spring and oil screen behind it.) Not the filler cap. Part number 11012-1483.

Turns out the replacement part will take 3-5 business days to get to me.

Anybody got one I can buy?
Did you remove thr rest of the cap?? The threaded part is deep in the hole.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you remove thr rest of the cap?? The threaded part is deep in the hole.
Yes. I was originally going after the oil screen in order to make sure it was clean.

Here is a picture of the broken part:

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
A case of too much torque for sure!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A case of too much torque for sure!
Thanks flitecontrol, that helps me feel a little less like jackass. I thought I'd done something wrong. Just ordered the part from from the local dealer. I'll be using a torque wrench on everything...

Looks like my bike will be down for this week of good weather...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry niterider, missed your PM. Sent a response.

·
'03 VN750 "Rosie"
227 Posts
I changed the oil this weekend and just went out to the garage just now to loosen the drain plug and turn it back in with less torque. After stripping the ACCT I'm afraid to ruin any more aluminum parts. I really appreciate the tip about the spark plugs. I hope the PO used anti-seize!

·
Registered
72 Posts
That bolt had to be defective to crack like that......I've seen people strip out the threads while tightening it after an oil change on many bikes but NEVER crack in half when trying to take it off!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That bolt had to be defective to crack like that......I've seen people strip out the threads while tightening it after an oil change on many bikes but NEVER crack in half when trying to take it off!!
You might be right. Looking closely at the one of the places it broke, it looked like there might have been a void in the aluminum. I think that if it had been correctly tightened using a torque wrench by the previous owner, it would likely not have broken.

Happily, the threads inside are fine, and the new part fit without issue. I'm back up and running!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I changed the oil this weekend and just went out to the garage just now to loosen the drain plug and turn it back in with less torque. After stripping the ACCT I'm afraid to ruin any more aluminum parts. I really appreciate the tip about the spark plugs. I hope the PO used anti-seize!

I was going to warn you on this one, if you try the grambo trick or replace the acct springs go easy on the little bolt on top the acct too, it only needs to be snug and doesnt take much to strip it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts