Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This morning, my dad and I took off for a small road trip, about 200 miles. I made 3 fuel stops: 1 at start of trip; once about 85 miles in; and again about 5 miles from home.

- The MPG at stop 2 was around 51 MPG. Only added 1.66 gallons of gas to top it off. Drove 85 miles before refilling. 2nd fill up since adding Seafoam.

- The MPG at stop 3 was around 37 MPG on reserve. I added over 3 gallons of gas to top it off. Drove 110 miles before hitting reserve. Drove another 5 miles before finding gas station.

- Total trip average of 44 MPG.

The trip out included curvy, hilly roads. The trip back was a straight shot with very few hills and curves. I also had a south wind, not strong enough to slow me down, to deal with on the way back. The bike also has a wind shield installed with it leaning as far back as possible for increase aerodynamics. Nothing about the bike changed from start to finish. It ran like a champ the whole time. Is what I experienced a result of bad gas? Possible the heat caused the gas to evaporate faster? Certainly a slight head wind would not cause a 14 MPG deviation.

I figured the bike was more consistant thanthis. I get better MPG in town than I did during the drive home.

Any ideas? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks!

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
I average 47 mpg just about all the time. Varried riding,stop and go city, some hwy ect. Fron MY exp be prepared to hit reserve at about 110-120 miles. ( I always set my trip od) This is just my bike and my riding habbits. Some say 55 plus!!

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never hit reserve during in-town riding. I almost always fill up at or just over 120 miles. For the bike to run out of gas at 110 miles after riding at hi-way speeds seems ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Figuring MPG should be something that is done over a month of riding, NOT by tankful. Your aversge speed, ambient tempature and humidity, how you accelerate and when, slope of the road, wind direction, etc... all play a part here.

I've gotten less than 38 mpg to over 50 mpg... All dependant on how hard I'm riding to average speed , to yes , even the gas I used. (and the above)

Frankly.... I don't care. I get gas when I need it and don't give a crap what mpgs I'm getting unless they were to fall well below my lowest reading over more than one tankful or two.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread....but it fits, so here I go again...lol

"For the bike to run out of gas at 110 miles after riding at hi-way speeds seems ridiculous. "

not ridiculous...it all depends on your idea of a "full tank"

I never hit reserve, but usually fill up around 100 miles. If you fill the tank to the very top (gas up to, or part way up the tube "neck" under the filler cap). you will most likely be somewhere around 140 miles to reserve ( just an average).

If you are not comfortable with filling it that high and end your filling somewhere below that filler neck, you are losing about 30 miles worth of fuel (again...just an average).

If you are averaging 50MPG, then you are doing OK....If you are running wide open on highways, then expect less. It also has to do with a lot of factors like weight, wind resistance (windshields for example) and how you throttle and brake.

I wouldn't worry too much unless you are falling below 30mpg...then check your oil for gas in it or some sort of carb/ignition issue.

Bottom line...if it runs good and gets you there...enjoy the ride my friend!!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
X2 kc2 !

·
Registered
175 Posts
The worst tank I ever had on the VN750 was 40.9 at 75 MPH on the turnpike into a headwind. The suburban commute I had when I first got it was frequently worth mid-to-high 50's. The subsequent predominantly-highway (60-65) commute kept me working to hit 50. The bike has low gearing and not the best aero in the world, which means high speeds hurt the MPG a lot. Was the straighter run not a faster run?

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Figuring MPG should be something that is done over a month of riding, NOT by tankful. Your aversge speed, ambient tempature and humidity, how you accelerate and when, slope of the road, wind direction, etc... all play a part here.

I've gotten less than 38 mpg to over 50 mpg... All dependant on how hard I'm riding to average speed , to yes , even the gas I used. (and the above)

Frankly.... I don't care. I get gas when I need it and don't give a crap what mpgs I'm getting unless they were to fall well below my lowest reading over more than one tankful or two.
Well ridin the stick country I can't always get gas, so I try to hit the sticks full up...
One thing on my bike that was shortening my fill ups was the kickstand (seems like kickstands always give me trouble...lol...) it was a good bit short in my opinion (not a VN750) and the bike had so much lean that you did not get a tank full, I had 3.5"s added in the middle of my Sportster kickstand and now get 25-30 more miles on a fuller tank, that gives me a happier feeling in the mountains where fill ups are a good bit apart... (And no I'm not goin to set a straddle of my hot bike and hold it streight up to fill'er to the brim, they may be useless but I don't want'em cooked yet...lol...)
On the VN750 as I remember I usually got 120+ before reserve, wish my Sportster had the reserve instead of the faulty idiot low fuel light...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Get the bike at 80 or faster and it will suck the tank dry fast.
I was loaded for a trip and doing 80+ got in the 30's. Slow down to 60 and was getting mid 40's.

·
Registered
856 Posts
My daily commute is about 95% highway and I'm typically pushing 80mph or more each way as most of the ride I see very little traffic until I get close to the city. I'm usually hitting reserve at between 100-110 miles.

·
2,527 Posts
Sounds normal, I hit reserve anywhere from 110 to 140 miles.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My riding is typical and my gas mileage is typical as others have written here. Reserve after 120 miles up to near 150. HOWEVER - that 120 mark came only after an oil change - has anyone else noticed their MPG going DOWN right after an oil change?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
No, never noticed here.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
My riding is typical and my gas mileage is typical as others have written here. Reserve after 120 miles up to near 150. HOWEVER - that 120 mark came only after an oil change - has anyone else noticed their MPG going DOWN right after an oil change?
welll......when working on the bike, I tend to let it idle a lot while checking things...typically revving the engine and listening to how it runs for a while after the maintenance work is completed.

I tend to forget that part when calculating the mileage...so yeah...sometimes :doh:

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
One other thing that should be put into the factoring is if you have the larger tire on the front. The orginal tire size gives you a different reading as for speed and distance the bike has traveled. Agressive driving has a lot of effect on gas mileage, you can have the same problem with MPG with a car as how you drive.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
One other thing that should be put into the factoring is if you have the larger tire on the front. The orginal tire size gives you a different reading as for speed and distance the bike has traveled. Agressive driving has a lot of effect on gas mileage, you can have the same problem with MPG with a car as how you drive.
good point! stock tire causing error in speedo will also give incorrect MPG calculations.

So...when stating MPG, it should also be noted if you have stock or oversize front tire. Mine is stock size and speedo reads higher than actual speed.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Tire size has nothing to do with the OPs mystery.

I should also point out that although the stock size tire does make the speedometer read about 10% higher than it really is, the Odometer is however fairly accurate.

I think someone calculated the actual diffrence in miles between the stock tire and the "taller" 110 that showed that it was not really that much. (if your are figuring your mpg by full tank to reserve)

Again a simple question on mpg gets everyone to state what THEY get on THEIR bike......lol.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Mpg

Most of my riding is about 55-63 mph out here on flat with gentle hills on country 2 lane roads where I get 47-51 mpg. Up in the hills of N. GA on fairly twisty roads (40-55 mph) I get about 43-47 mpg. Having said that I figure to ride 135 miles before switching to reserve. When I'm riding the highway (rarely) @ 65-75 mph my mileage drops a little to about 43-45 mpg. My '03 750 tach shows 4000 @ 60 mph so it revs a bit high for best fuel milage at higher speeds.:smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Most of my riding is about 55-63 mph out here on flat with gentle hills on country 2 lane roads where I get 47-51 mpg. Up in the hills of N. GA on fairly twisty roads (40-55 mph) I get about 43-47 mpg. Having said that I figure to ride 135 miles before switching to reserve. When I'm riding the highway (rarely) @ 65-75 mph my mileage drops a little to about 43-45 mpg. My '03 750 tach shows 4000 @ 60 mph so it revs a bit high for best fuel milage at higher speeds.:smiley_th
Your tach is pretty much right on compared to what I got working it out mathmatically according to the gear ratios.
My ciphering said the North American vn750s get 14.52 mph per 1,000 rpm.
Eyeballing your tach and speedo gave you ~15 mph/1K rpm. Close enough. :smiley_th

The vn750s sold originally in Europe have one more tooth on one gear.
I don't remember right now if they get slightly higher or lower gearing with it.

I don't trust my reserve function after it left me on the side of the road coming home from work one day last summer. When I get close to 160 km, (100 miles) on the trip meter I start looking for gas.

The bike runs well with the petcock set on RUN or RESERVE when the tank is full, but when the engine started to stumble when fuel level dropped below the RUN pick up tube, I switched to RES and coasted for about a mile trying to get the engine started again, but no go. When I finally stopped, I opened the cap and rocked the bike. There was gas in the tank. I cranked the starter over a few times but still no start, so I quit before killing the battery. It took about an hour to get a gallon jug of gas back and poured into the bikes tank. It fired right up and would run with the petcock set in either RUN or RES position. :confused: Not sure what is going on here.

Sometimes I carry a spare gallon gas jug in a saddlebag if I'm not sure I can make it to work and back to a gas station with the gas in the tank.

I need to test the reserve function again when I am not in a hurry to get someplace.
Probably will still need to pull the petcock off to inspect the reserve pickup tube and filter.

Sorry for the thread hijack, I got a little off topic here. :(
Back to your regularly scheduled programs. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts