Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have a non running 2005 Vulcan 750 for $500.
Clean rusted tank. Rebuild petcock and carburetor and a few other things. Finally got it running. After getting it started I started to do cosmetic stuff then I cut out the goat belly...
I noticed that the rear exhaust was cooled and had a lot of misfire. After reading up I Decided to do a compression test... 0 psi on both sides of the rear 馃槕. Then I remembered seeing some metal shavings when I changed the oil plus knocking when it was running... I鈥檓 thinking maybe the piston ring came off. So I鈥檓 gonna pull the motor maybe rebuild the rear top end or I鈥檒l just send it to a shop.

Main just looking for advice since I know a lot of you guys have experience. Is there any other test that anyone has tried before pulling motor?

And and tips on pulling motor. Like steps or an order of how things should be removed.

It鈥檒l be my first time pulling any motor
First project

Attachments

Registered
Patience! Take pictures of EVERYTHING! I laid all the parts out on a table, organized into 4 sections: left side, right side, front cylinder and back cylinder.
Watch the rebuild videos. The balancer wheel nut is reverse threaded.

A 18mm bolt can be used to remove the spark plug tubes, and to pry off the flywheel.

The only special tools I needed were crow foot wrenches (10mm and 12mm).

Follow the head bolt loosening order.

Download the service manual (someone here has a link).

Parts may take over a month to ship.

EBay is a great source for some parts.

Pick up some TB1207B (Honda Bond, Suzuki Bond etc). Smear a thin layer on the gaskets before installing.

TAKE PICTURES!!!

Get a few cans of brake clean.

Be prepared to scrape at the old gaskets.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Patience! Take pictures of EVERYTHING! I laid all the parts out on a table, organized into 4 sections: left side, right side, front cylinder and back cylinder.
Watch the rebuild videos. The balancer wheel nut is reverse threaded.

A 18mm bolt can be used to remove the spark plug tubes, and to pry off the flywheel.

The only special tools I needed were crow foot wrenches (10mm and 12mm).

Follow the head bolt loosening order.

Download the service manual (someone here has a link).

Parts may take over a month to ship.

EBay is a great source for some parts.

Pick up some TB1207B (Honda Bond, Suzuki Bond etc). Smear a thin layer on the gaskets before installing.

TAKE PICTURES!!!

Get a few cans of brake clean.

Be prepared to scrape at the old gaskets.
Thank man I took a lot of pictures and video telling myself where things went and what order I think I should go when I start putting the motor back on

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Welp it鈥檚 was a bit harder and time consuming then I thought wish I had a helping hand but it鈥檚 done the engine is off the bike. Now I moved the motor to its new home. Gonna get sandwich backs sharply and cardboard to lay down before I start taking apart

I鈥檒l keep posting this on this thread with progress questions and finished product 馃馃徑

Attachments

Registered
Zero compression makes it interesting when you pull the head off. Valves, piston, or cam chain.

Extra pair of hands very helpful going back together. Maybe two hours with a helper.

Metal shavings might mean damper bushings, or cam chain guides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts