Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished my first mod a couple nights ago. I decided to add a 5v accessory charger and voltmeter to my bike. Originally I wanted to put a combination voltmeter/ammeter that I bought of flea bay but I couldn’t find a cup or bracket to put it above the dash. Plus, wiring up the ammeter wasn’t very clear.

I used a relay to trigger power to both the voltmeter and the accessory charger. I took pictures but it’s hard to see the relay tucked in behind the front coil pack. I picked up the 10A spare wire & ground in the headlamp bucket and “t” off the blue wire for the left running light. Unfortunately I didn’t take a pic of the headlamp bucket wiring.

I can’t thank the forums and contributors enough for giving me all the information I needed to complete this mod and other issues. You all have helped me replace a leaky radiator drain bolt (way cheaper than the OEM part). Change the rear gear oil. Spline lube is next in my future.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Nice. I took a car analog volt meter and mounted it on the dash as well. I wouldn't charge anything with the bike off. Might be to much of a drain.

·
Registered
788 Posts
seems like he has it relayed so it only comes on once the key is turned. Nicely done! I never though of using those neck covers to mount things. I wound up buying a dash plate to install mine. (pics in my signature if you're interested)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was thinking about relocating the horns behind the neck covers but was wondering about the effect on the electrical components from all the heat from the cooling system back there (and also how muffled they might be, but that's a separate question). Any issues with your project?

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
The 5v stuff only charges in miiliamps, so it's not much draw at all. My friend got hit up for charging three smartphones and a vape pen in one afternoon while at a gathering, no problem, but he does have a new agm batt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about relocating the horns behind the neck covers but was wondering about the effect on the electrical components from all the heat from the cooling system back there (and also how muffled they might be, but that's a separate question). Any issues with your project?
Not yet, I've only had everything in place for about 5 days. I'll update in a month or so.

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
The 5v stuff only charges in miiliamps, so it's not much draw at all. My friend got hit up for charging three smartphones and a vape pen in one afternoon while at a gathering, no problem, but he does have a new agm batt.
Er Um, some of the 5 V stuff charges at an amp, most of it will take >1.5A happily, USB wall chargers can go to 3A and the USB connector is rated at 5A.
I have car lighter chargers that do 2.1A out of three ports.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Er Um, some of the 5 V stuff charges at an amp, most of it will take >1.5A happily, USB wall chargers can go to 3A and the USB connector is rated at 5A.
I have car lighter chargers that do 2.1A out of three ports.
Ok. Checked all of mine, they're 500-650 ma, including the wall chargers. Even one 12v cordless landline charger is 500ma, I use those as battery tenders for the bikes.

My camera wall charger is 400ma.

No doubt there are exceptions, but the lower rate is the most common, I'd say.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts