Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend I put another 301.5 on the odometer. At least 160 of it was sustained 80mph+. The rest was mixed city and county roads. I learned a few things from this trip.

1. A XXL helmet is like a box in the wind. No amount of advanced science is going to fix that! #bighead

2. Just because you can't feel the heat of the sun doesn't mean you're not getting a sunburn.

3. At 80 mph, you can watch the fuel gage move.

4. The engine runs slightly but noticeably warmer at those speeds.

5. The bike took it like a champ! No complaints.

6. When getting off the highway, I didn't get the normal pop on decel. It was only when I gave it part throttle and backed off again that it would pop. Should this be concerning?

7. Met up with a stranger passing through IL from Virginia. We rode together for about 10 miles. He was the lead bike, but sat in the right half of the lane. I thought the rule was leader sits left. Is this general practice or IL only?

8. The ride is smoother when your not following a car, but the fuel gage moves a bit faster.

9. Round trip mpg was about 44.

10. Between 3-4k rpm, I could hear what sounds like the drive chain on my friend's Honda, coming from the left side of the motor. Either that, or rattling metal. Obviously I don't have a drive chain. Could this be the valve chain making noise? What are the symptoms? The back portion of the heat shields are not anchored down with the mufflers removed, so I am going to reattach the mufflers to see if that sound goes away.

11. Ear plugs are a great idea for highway travel... especially when running straight pipes!

12. I took 2 June bugs to the shin...OUCH!

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
No problem on the decel pop. With straight pipes, it's going to pop some unless perfectly tuned.

Helmets - I switched from a Bell full face to a Nolan modular and the difference in aerodynamics is pretty amazing. Look to the side with the Bell at 70mph and it tries to twist your head off. There's almost no resistance with the Nolan. Huge difference.

Haven't seen a Junebug in years, but we did have a Locust season, yow! Hate those 50 caliber bugs.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The chain noise is most likely your cam chain(s) that run alongside the cylinders to power the valves in the heads. There are tensioners that can either go bad (acct/automatic cam chain tensioners) or need to be adjusted to take up slack as the chain stretches due to wear (mcct/manual cam chain tensioners). These bikes come with automatics, but they are often swapped for manuals.

Yeah, the lead is supposed to hold the left side of the lane, to give them the best view for initiate passing, and to give a well defined 'edge' for the group when cars are passing on the left, then merging back left in front of the group.

There doesn't seem to be a standard 'biker wave' when you're traveling in the same direction, or am I just ignorant?

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
The bike in front of you likely just stayed right to allow you to pass. You weren't in his "group" so why would he lead you? ;)

The cam chain can make some noise normally, along with all the other engine noise. Be hard to say it was excessive without being there to hear it. You could try the Grambo Trick and see if that quiets them.

Sunscreen is your freind. So are long sleeves.

Windscreen?

·
Registered
8,242 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a standard 'biker wave' when you're traveling in the same direction, or am I just ignorant?
Not that I know of. Maybe some high beam blips.

Today most do the two wheels down sign. Well way back in the day (70s), everyone did the powerfist. When I got back on a street bike, I gave some folks the powerfist and damn near started a fight.

I wear long sleeves most of the time, or at least carry a shirt/jacket. Sun just eats me up now.

Got a windshield on my wish list. Less wind on the head and chest, less fatigue and muscle cramps. I never shoulda rode that Ultra.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I know there are no "official" waves to other motorcycles traveling in the same direction. You really can't wave at someone in front of you, and any hand signal to a rider behind you might be confusing.
I do when passing another bike turn my head and give them a "whazzup" nod.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I know there are no "official" waves to other motorcycles traveling in the same direction. You really can't wave at someone in front of you, and any hand signal to a rider behind you might be confusing.
I do when passing another bike turn my head and give them a "whazzup" nod.
And when another rider passes you ... well ... that never happens. Not an issue. >:)

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
And when another rider passes you ... well ... that never happens. Not an issue. >:)
Yep. :)

There was this movie called "The Gumball Rally" ..... (similar to the Cannonball Run) where it's a race across the country NY to LA. There's a scene right at the beginning where the driver of the Ferrari (the wonderful Raul Julia) grabs the rear-view mirror and breaks it off and tosses it aside, and says......

·
Registered
941 Posts

There was this movie called "The Gumball Rally" ..... (similar to the Cannonball Run) where it's a race across the country NY to LA. There's a scene right at the beginning where the driver of the Ferrari (the wonderful Raul Julia) grabs the rear-view mirror and breaks it off and tosses it aside, and says......

https://youtu.be/AjGXn249Fc0
Great movie. I really like it (better than Cannonball Run). I heard they are doing a remake of Cannonball Run.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I recently rode at highway speeds without my windshield on. Holy crap - I forgot how tiring that is. I guess I put up a lot of resistance to that wind.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts

https://youtu.be/AjGXn249Fc0
I actually said this to Raul Julia. He was surprised I even remembered the line. It is one of my favorites. I flew kites with him and his son when I was life guarding on Myrtle beach. 1985 or 86 I think. He was making a movie with Fred Ward and Antonio Farga (Huggy Bear) called Florida Straights. Really ****ty movie. I rented a beach chair to Fargas.

Crap you know what, I got it wrong all these years, I always said, "What is behind me does not matter." Well, that sounds better and I'm sticking with my take.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
That's cool. (I kinda remembered the line the same way you did) I was shocked he died so young (54)
He did appear in a few bad movies, but even the movie "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank" had the exalted honor of being one of the films on MST3K.
(As they say in Hollywood about being in a bad movie ..."at least you're working..")
His role as Gomez Addams was perfect.
I heard thousands of people attended his funeral in Puerto Rico.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts