Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was coming to a lighted intersection and the guy in the left turn lane coming in the opposite direction was stopped (apparently yielding to oncoming traffic – me). As I started to accelerate thru the intersection, he decided it was ok to go ahead and make his left turn. I think I locked up the front first then the back and did a power slide to the left. Never did it before, never wanted to try it but that’s what happened. I guess he finally saw me because he began to stop…. at a 45 degree angle…. right in front of me. Just before I hit him I let up on the brakes, straightened her out a bit and clipped the rear quarter of the car going about parallel and maybe10mph. My brake pedal took the brunt of the force and I think may have bent a bit and slipped a few splines. My foot was pinched some, being on the brake pedal and I thought I may have bruised my right hip. We stayed upright though. The next day, after readjusting the brake pedal and reattaching the brake light actuator spring you would never guess she hit a car at all – not a scratch. My foot and my hip? Not a twinge. You’d have never thought that practically ripping that cheap plastic wrap around bumper off of that little chevy could cause so little damage. I ain’t signin’ up for no demolition derbys anytime soon though.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Glad you and the bike made it out mostly unscathed. Cars turning across my lane of travel is just about my biggest concern, especially on a 4 lane (or more) road. Too many ways for them to NOT see you.

·
Super Moderator
11,867 Posts
Yep. That's the number 1 collision scenario ....oncoming car turning in front of you. Two good ways to avoid it are:

First slow down.
Then as you approach the car weave your bike back and forth accross the lane your in. Left/right movement makes you more noticable...end your weave with you as far to the right as you can get...so if the car does turn, you have more time to react.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Glad you made it out OK!

I had a woman try to merge into me from left lane this morning. Point was, she traveled from behind me and to the left and still thought it was OK to bring her car over on top of me. I popped my horn a few times, then stayed on it as she continued her trajectory. (I have a WOLO air horn, so I KNOW she heard it). Slowed enough to drop behind her but just barely as I was probably less than a foot from her rear bumper when she completed the move.

Needless to say, I was along side her driver's window in under 30 seconds as we slowed at a light. Revved my Hardley Sportsters loud enough and stared right at her (She's either deaf, 'tupid or her better half told her to never make eye contact with a biker after you try to RUN THEM OFF THE ROAD).

Next time, it'll be my foot in her door.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i dont condone violence but i have a very heavy foot and for some reason shortly after someone cuts me off my heavy foot raises up about the level of there driver side mirror and i pass very close to them one guy actually tried to follow me afterwards so i hit the highway and flew past a trooper with him about a two bike lengths off my rear tire needless to say he had to replace his mirror and pay a ticket or two that time

·
Registered
263 Posts
i dont condone violence but i have a very heavy foot and for some reason shortly after someone cuts me off my heavy foot raises up about the level of there driver side mirror and i pass very close to them one guy actually tried to follow me afterwards so i hit the highway and flew past a trooper with him about a two bike lengths off my rear tire needless to say he had to replace his mirror and pay a ticket or two that time
mirror of a bus for me when i stopped in light and was kicking his door,was hanging like a monkey from it when it broke.threw mirror on windshield made u turn and got out of there no ticket for me

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
glad you are OK...sorry it happened.

Be careful out there!!

And IMO...by kicking car doors and stuff after a near miss....you are not doing the rest of us any favors in the eyes of that cager...or the others that see your actions.

Disclaimer: I am no saint either...I have lost my temper a time or two...older and wiser now I guess.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Glad you are OK
My suggestion to all is to get a headlight modulator. Since I installed one on my VTX1300 I have had no one turn in front of me. I am not saying this is a foolproof solution, but it significantly increases your chances of being seen in daylite hours. They do not help at night however, as by law they have to be disabled at night and mine does so automatically, as required. Stay safe all
Che

1 - 8 of 8 Posts