Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone! I'm looking to buy my first bike and have pretty much settled on a VN750. Currently I'm considering a 96 VN750 with around 9k miles.

I have lots of experience riding dirtbikes and ridden around town on some friends bikes a couple of times so I'm not completely new to riding. I'm also pretty handy at doing work on things myself so repairs shouldn't be an issue.

Just wanted to get a few first hand opinions on if the VN750 would make a good first bike. I selected it because it seems like a manageable amount of bike that won't get blown off the road by the flow of traffic when riding. I would like to do a few road trips on it after I'm really comfortable. I'm also a shorter guy (~5'7) so I was curious about the seat height being a little on the high side for me (27.5").

Anyways, thanks in advance. And I must say I find the VN750 to be a great looking bike!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Welcome

I think the vn750 is good first bike. It has more Umph than you might think so go easy until you get used to it. You will like this forum, it will answer many questions you will have. Don't be afraid to ask questions or search the verses for answers.

Ride Safe

Mcneuby :smiley_th

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
The vn750 is a great first bike... it has enough power that you won't be itching to trade up, but its not so big that its hard to handle. I also am 5'7" and the seat hught us perfect for me. I can plant both feet on the ground.

Goof luck and welcome to the group.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses! Really appreciate getting some firsthand information about the bike.

Really looking forward to getting the bike and joining the group!

Thanks!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You will love the Vulcan.
If you find the seat too tall, try shaving a little width off the foam close to the front.
That should allow you to flat foot it easily at any stop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome!, my 750 is my first bike too, and I love it. I also love this site, it's filled with information, and really is a great resource.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
It was my first bike, I have since purchased additional bikes, but I just returned home from a 700mi trip on my VN750. She'll always have a place in my garage.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Welcome...
My vn750 isnt my first bike tho...mine was an older 78 suzuki gs750.
Wish i still had had that bike....but i love my vn750.

I also now own two older kawis, an 85 &86 454ltd...kinda similar to the vn750...one is going to be my wifes first bike!

But the vn750 is an "ok" first bike...depending on your height and weight...
It is torquey and fast...and great in the curves ..

Again lots of info to find in this forum and tons of great friendly people.

Post some pics up of the bike when u can....we love pics!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I bought a VN750 on Saturday. Love the bike.

She's a 2003 with 20,500 miles. She appears to be well taken care of. So far I've put about 35 miles on her just cruising around by my house.

She came with a windshield on her, but I took it off since it was a little too tall for me and distorted my view. I'm going to have to look for a shorter one since I now feel like I'm getting pushed around by the wind when I get over 55mph... Or maybe I should just suck it up and get used to it.

My plan is to change all her fluids in the next two weeks or so while I'm building up to start riding out on the highway.

Anyways, here's some pics. I really appreciate all the help and responses:carryflag

Attachments

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
If its a lexan plastic windshield u can take it and cut it down using a sawzall and then clean up the cut edge with a file...but first see if its adjustable...mine i can stand straight up to make taller..or slant it down and back to make it shorter..

Also on an 03...u may want to check the splines to see if they are lubed....asap

1 - 10 of 10 Posts