Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I picked up a 1996 Vulcan 750 for a great deal ($1200). I just liked the way they looked, and from reading this forum, I liked how quirky they are. I took the MSF course, and focused on safety. I rode the bike for two weeks, then it was down for a week while I got a replacement oil screen cap that broke while changing the oil.

The day after getting it working again, riding home from work, a deer took me off the bike at 40 mph. The driver behind me told the police that there was no way I could have seen it. Apparently I was conscious the whole time, but I don't remember any of it. I "woke up," or at least started remembering things, in the ambulance on the way to Vanderbilt Hospital.

I had full gear, and it did its job. My injuries were a concussion, four broken ribs, a broken clavicle, and two puncture wounds in my thigh (might have been two of the six points on the buck). The helmet didn't crack, but the right side of it is ruined from meeting the pavement.

Since the bike is older, my guess is that it's totaled. Damn shame, because I really liked it, and I looked forward to making it mine.

With all that said, anybody have advice on this? I know I need to claim not just the bike, but also all my gear (which was cut off of me at the scene). Being a new rider though, if there is anything else I should know that might help, I would love to hear it.

Here's hoping I can find a deal on another Vulcan...

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Not sure about logistics as I haven't gone through it but I'm glad to hear you're mostly ok. Good call on full gear man, it looks like it could have been worse. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, take care.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, can't be of much help other than say that like me last year, you are lucky, good you were wearing your gear...
Sounds like you had Ins., thats good, on mine they (GEICO) totaled it, saying that if it cost over half the bike value they would total it... Good luck on your settlement and recovery...
I am south of Nashville down in Winchester...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Glad your OKAY. Being a Vandy man, I can say you went to the best Hospital around.
I'm an Insurance Broker and if you need some help with any of the adjustors, PM me and we'll get in touch.
Your policy should have some coverage for equipment (depending upon your carrier) . I would alert your HO's carrier also.
I would contact the makers of the "gear" you were wearing, tell them your story, give them the facts. They may ?? send you all new stuff just to have the ( excuse the term) first hand knowledge of how it faired.

Man I salute you for the set of Brass ones you have ....wanting to get back on the horse takes a pair.

All the best

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Wow! If you hadn't had that helmet on, don't beleive we would be reading your post! Good call on wearing it and the other gear! They are active all times of day, but deer are most active around dawn and dusk. I try to avoid riding during those times, especially in rural areas.

Glad you came out of it as well as you did.

Here's a few in the general area: http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/2064625284.html

pricey, but he may be willing to negotiate since it's been for sale for a while: http://hickory.craigslist.org/mcy/2035486022.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/2052855279.html

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
[email protected] deer!! If we could just get them online to read some safety forums, and stay on the side `til traffic clears!
Glad to hear the safety gear worked and lessened your injuries.

Did you have any hard armor in the jacket?

You said you were wearing full gear but still got two leg punctures, perhaps from the deers antlers.
Were you in fact wearing riding pants or just the jacket?

What time of day did the accident happen?
What were the light and driving conditions like? daylight, dusk, dawn, dark, clear, rain etc.???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for all the well wishes!

OlHossCanada, I was wearing CE armor in both my jacket and pants - even had hip armor, which is probably the reason I'm still walking. The puncture was mid-thigh slightly to the rear - opposite all the other damage, where there was no armor - only mesh. Looking at the pants, you wouldn't guess at major damage since the two holes aren't that big...

Wreck happened at ~5:15 last Friday night. It was just after dusk, so not quite dark as night, but pretty much there. It was a semi-suburban area, and the dear came out of a tree line that comes right up to the road. The weather was great and the road was dry. There are no rubber skid marks on the road where it happened, so I had no time to even hit the rear brake, which I always have my foot ready to do while riding.

flitecontrol Thanks for the tips. The one in charlotte looked nice, and it was well priced... I need to let the insurance do its job before I buy another one, and I suppose I have some healing to do. Right now, I couldn't reach the throttle if you paid me. :(

76dore Did you mean my homeowner's policy? I wouldn't have thought to involve them at all. I will call them though. I was planning on contacting the makers of all my gear and thanking them anyway. I'm pretty grateful that I'm in as good a shape as I am. It would kick ass for the gear manufacturers to replace it, and I'll let you know how that goes for sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the word. The bike is totaled. :mad:

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
x2 on part of the above--holy smoke, Dude....glad to learn you came out as good as you did...:rockon:...!

Also: for you to have experienced part of the "dark side" of motorcycling and are willing to get back in the saddle says a lot of good about you...:smiley_th

Advice? When you're ready physically again--buy another VN750! Good, clean, low-mileage examples are still fairly easy to find.

I recommend you buy during the winter months, when demand for bikes is down, and prices tend to drop then, also.

By mid-February, this changes, as everyone gets spring fever and "the itch" to ride again. Prices then generally start going back up.

What brand/model helmet were you wearing? How old is/was it?

Check out/read the following by David Hough, who is a renowned expert on motorcycle riding. You would do quite well to read his books on the subject:

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safety-skills/deerohdeer.htm

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
I should point out to all that are unsure of what exactly their policy covers...to call your agent/insurance company and ask.

I pay a abit more for full coverage...do to getting "replacement cost" as oppossed to standard accessed value. What this means is instead of just looking at a blue book price, they look at the sale price of simular models in my area, and would give me the average selling price to buy another bike...(if I should total mine) Not to mention replacement cost of my gear.

Many end up being shocked to learn that their policy does not cover their helmet or gear, and that they only will pay Blue book as opposed to market value.

So , if not sure, just ask.

Anyway.......... proof that gear does work and helmets will save you. Glad you got through it as well as you did....and.. I do hope the deer was totaled too...... ;)

KM

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do hope the deer was totaled too......
The deer died next to my bike. Unfortunately, I never saw the deer, and didn't have a chance to eat that @#%@#'s heart. It was gone by the time I got back to the scene. Not even a picture, just the cop's description.

Also, I sprung for comprehensive coverage (max coverage through Allstate). However, when I went to make the claim, I found that the medical coverage for ME was seriously lacking. It was only $5000. I would encourage each of you to check the amount of your medical coverage on your policy, then double it, or triple it, or maybe more...

I have other (crappy) medical insurance, but $5000 on my bike's policy seemed like an insult. That'll probably pay for the the ambulance ride and my 10 hours in the ER, but it won't cover physical therapy. I can't imagine what a hole I'd be in if I'd needed surgery or been in any way worse off.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I've said it before, and will do so again - It's always a good idea to know exactly what your insurance is insuring.

With respect to KM's post, this is also something that should be known before you need to use your policy. Typically, your insurance will either pay fair market value (actual cost of bikes with similar mileage, age, etc.) in your area, or "estimated" value based on KBB or some other valuation protocol. I was fortunate that my insurer paid me FMV for my 2007 Ninja 250, which ended being higher than the MSRP due to a very good market.

Heal quick, and see what the buy back protocol is for your state. Some states won't allow a "totaled" bike to be re-registered for road use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts