Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
KM style turn signal Relo bracket + Givi E41 Hardcases

KM was kind enough to let me pick up his Givi Monokey brackets a couple weeks ago and I've been agonizing about relocating the turn signals ever since. I'd really prefer to find some OE brackets, but I'm starting to think that I'll sooner find a honest politician, so I decided to break down and go to Lowe's and get some sheet metal tonight.

(On an unrelated note, must make more trips to Lowe's to buy 750 related stuff. Last trip, I spent $1.36 on PVC and found $1 in the road. Tonight I spent $9.52 and found $10 in the parking lot - go figure! :smiley_th )

I looked at the plans on KM's flickr page and made some minor adjustments to a few dimensions to slim it down a bit. 8" across instead of 9.5", 1.5" tall instead of 2" tall, & 2.5" deep instead of 3" deep.

I don't have a MIG, but I do have a spot welder, so the plan was to hack out a blank that could be formed with a sheet metal work kit from Harbor Freight & my hydraulic press and spot welded together.

I'm about half way done now with everything chopped, formed, & welded and test fit on the bike. Still need to drill the actual holes for the turn signals, sand, fill, & paint.

For a guy with little to no sheet metal skills, it's actually coming along better than expected. As a matter of fact, a motivated guy could actually make a forming tool pretty easy to be able to whip one out with less than an hour's fab time. Don't hold your breath or anything, but I'm chewing on the idea...

I should be able to get some pics up tomorrow for grins & giggles, and hopefully before the weekend is over I can show you all how silly a VN750 looks with Givi E41s installed! :wow: It's pretty ridiculous...

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the 7/8" hole was the biggest pain of the project, but my stubbornness won out in the end. I didn't finish it out super pretty with the filler like I could have, but time is short & I wanted to get it on the bike.

Added 14" to the turn signal wire leads plus some bullet connectors at the license so the signals can be popped off without needing to snake the wire leads all the way back out through the fender. Should have added 16" & I may go back and redo it at some point. Everything reaches & fits, but just barely.

And as promised, here are a couple shots with my Givi E41 side cases that typically tackle trip duty on my Strom. These cases will definitely drag before the pegs do, but I haven't taken the time to measure the allowable lean angle just yet. Couple laps around the block with them on and I don't think there will be any issues unless you're pretty aggressive in the corners. They also crown the passenger pegs big time as well. Don't think there are any plans for 2-up touring for this old girl, so it's not a big deal though.

The E21s will be perfect - it's just going to be a few more weeks before I can pick them up.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Man, those are some Ginormous Bags for the 750! but you should be able to pack any thing you need in 'em.Some times form has to follow function and your light relocate looks pretty good.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Whoooeee, "ginormous" doesn`t hardly do them justice!!
They really do overpower the 750 visually both from the side and the back.
What does the E41 and E21 desigante? Is that capacity in Liters or some such?
If the E21`s are half the size of these, I think they will be a good match. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoooeee, "ginormous" doesn`t hardly do them justice!!
They really do overpower the 750 visually both from the side and the back.
What does the E41 and E21 desigante? Is that capacity in Liters or some such?
If the E21`s are half the size of these, I think they will be a good match. :smiley_th

Yup, told you they were ridiculous! And yep again, E41 is 41 liters & E21 is 21 liters.

The E21s bags are 3.5" narrower each & 16.5" x 13.5" instead of 22" x 17".

It still makes me chuckle how these bags make the 750 look so tiny...

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Baby got back!

Nice job on the TS bracket.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Yes, nice job on the TS brackets. Mine were laser cut and tig welded by a local metal shop, so anyone getting it done at home has my respect, and envy for having the tools to do it.

Nice thing about the Givi bags is they are interchangeable.... So if needed for a long trip you can quickly switch to the Gianormus bags if you need to pack more stuff. Am sure the '21s will look alot better on the bike.

My FJR has similar removable hard bags and they freaking rock.

Any plans for the matching Givi topcase?

Glad someone got to use the bag supports for their intended purpose. You likely are the only person in the US that has them on your VN750

Knifemaker.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My FJR has similar removable hard bags and they freaking rock.

Any plans for the matching Givi topcase?
It's amazing how much crap they'll swallow. I've got an E55 Maxia that rides full-time on the Strom and only add the E41s for trips. Got the SW-Motech quick detach side back supports so it's trunk only to full touring package in less than 2 minutes.

I'd love to put a V46 topcase on it in conjunction with the E21s. Two major issues though are the OE backrest and the price of the OE luggage racks. I'm not going to spend $250+ for a F&S luggage rack just to mount a $245 topcase and then have it spaced 2"-3" away from the backrest so I can get it open.

So, in my perfect world I'd swap over to a Vulcan 900 seat, adapt a Vulcan 900 luggage rack and incorporate the V46 as the backrest.

Problem with this is that this is still my dad's bike, and he already upgraded to the Mustang seat. It would probably be an understatement to say we have artistic differences, and I know he wouldn't take kindly to me hacking up the Mustang.

So for now the E21s will do nicely for what is needed, but if I end up taking it off his hands this summer, you can surely bet that I'll head down the Vulcan 900 path with a Saddlemen seat, luggage rack, V46 w/ Admorelighting trunk lights, & swap that National Cycle shield out for a Memphis Fats in gradient black with black lowers. I think that would be a pretty sweet setup! :smiley_th

·
Registered
802 Posts
Nice job. Man, those bags were any bigger and you'd have friends calling you when it's time for them to move. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts