Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
After my first couple of longer rides at highway speed I thought for sure I would be buying a windshield soon. 2 years later and still no windshield....I don't even notice the wind hitting me anymore. :motorcycl

·
200% senile
164 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Over the past few decades I have tried many windshields. Except for the stock windshields on Goldwings, every single one of them made things worse. The problem, extreme helmet buffeting. Without a windshield, the air blast is spread out evenly, and it's not bad at all with my full face helmet. With a windshield (that I can see over) it concentrates all that wind, and aims it directly at my helmet. I've had a couple of face shields blown off, and I has one windshield, from Memphis Shades, that made the bike downright dangerous at freeway speeds. It would catch gusts of wind from passing vehicles, especially semi trucks, like a big sail, and yank the grips right out of your hands. I have now sworn off windshields for life. Sad thing is, I spent almost enough money on windshields to have bought another new bike.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,675 Posts
After my first couple of longer rides at highway speed I thought for sure I would be buying a windshield soon. 2 years later and still no windshield....I don't even notice the wind hitting me anymore. :motorcycl
that just tells me that your're not going fast enough! lol

Please give us a review (along with how tall you are) after you test it out.
Sure thing. It appears that people who are 6'1 have problems with it. But I'm 5'11, so I'll let you know.
I have that same shield. I used it on my VN750, then I put it on the Wife's EN 500 Vulcan and that is where it stayed! lol
she really likes it. I liked it when I had it on my VN750. I'm 5 & 1/2'

Over the past few decades I have tried many windshields. Except for the stock windshields on Goldwings, every single one of them made things worse. The problem, extreme helmet buffeting. Without a windshield, the air blast is spread out evenly, and it's not bad at all with my full face helmet. With a windshield (that I can see over) it concentrates all that wind, and aims it directly at my helmet. I've had a couple of face shields blown off, and I has one windshield, from Memphis Shades, that made the bike downright dangerous at freeway speeds. It would catch gusts of wind from passing vehicles, especially semi trucks, like a big sail, and yank the grips right out of your hands. I have now sworn off windshields for life. Sad thing is, I spent almost enough money on windshields to have bought another new bike.
interesting. everyone I know that rides (including my Wife and I) all say the same thing about riding on the freeway without a windshield.......they'd rather not!

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Part of my issue may be that I'm 6', and refuse to use a screen that I cannot see over. (I live in bug city, and after riding for half an hour, the shield is so covered in bugs you can't see through it anymore) That places the top of the windshield just below my face shield, and the air comes right over the top and hits me directly in the face. So hard it actually broke and blew off a $35 Shoei ratchet face shield. On the Vulcan I tend to ride at an indicated 80 mph (actual 75 mph) which is the freeway speed limit in AZ. I haven't had any problems without a windshield.

For some reason this has not been a problem with stock Goldwing windshields. I figure they are probably designed in a wind tunnel, specifically for the bike, plus you have the fairing as well. And everything is attached to the bikes frame, not the handlebars or forks. Something just doesn't seem right about putting a giant plastic sail on the bars or forks. The Memphis Shades shield (Harley type) caused all kinds of stability problems, including an intermittent violent shake at high speeds.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,675 Posts
Part of my issue may be that I'm 6', and refuse to use a screen that I cannot see over. (I live in bug city, and after riding for half an hour, the shield is so covered in bugs you can't see through it anymore) That places the top of the windshield just below my face shield, and the air comes right over the top and hits me directly in the face. So hard it actually broke and blew off a $35 Shoei ratchet face shield. On the Vulcan I tend to ride at an indicated 80 mph (actual 75 mph) which is the freeway speed limit in AZ. I haven't had any problems without a windshield.

For some reason this has not been a problem with stock Goldwing windshields. I figure they are probably designed in a wind tunnel, specifically for the bike, plus you have the fairing as well. And everything is attached to the bikes frame, not the handlebars or forks. Something just doesn't seem right about putting a giant plastic sail on the bars or forks. The Memphis Shades shield (Harley type) caused all kinds of stability problems, including an intermittent violent shake at high speeds.
now I see.

and

I think you are on to something there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jerry, I'm also in a really buggy area and riding at dusk or night means a bug slaughter. Getting tired of June Bugs whacking me like a .22 I've considered a windshield but hesitated suspecting just what you describe.
Andrey, enjoy the highway but keep an eye out for those approaching from behind. Last weekend a van came within a foot of clipping me as it passed while straddling the lane. A real reminder not to be complacent.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Jerry, I'm also in a really buggy area and riding at dusk or night means a bug slaughter. Getting tired of June Bugs whacking me like a .22 I've considered a windshield but hesitated suspecting just what you describe.
Andrey, enjoy the highway but keep an eye out for those approaching from behind. Last weekend a van came within a foot of clipping me as it passed while straddling the lane. A real reminder not to be complacent.

For sure. For some reason car drivers don't feel they need to move completely into the other lane when passing a motorcycle. I ride where the drivers side tire would be in a car, and watch my mirrors. If I see someone getting to close, I hit the horn. They usually move over. But always be ready to countersteer to the right side of the lane, or even the shoulder if necessary.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
that just tells me that your're not going fast enough! lol
lol Just tuck in close to the tank if you want to go that fast. ;)

I will admit though, the older I get the less I feel like I need to go over 80 for extended periods. There is the occasional blip up over 100 just to do it. If I would have had a bike when I was 18 I would have been dead a long time ago.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts

I run a Street Shield and had maybe very minor buffeting on the highway and it is attached to the forks and bars. I added lowers I made from Lowes plexiglass and the bike is rock solid and my helmet no longer rattles my little brain. In fact, my cruising speed is higher and the bike just feels better overall. I can't deal with bugs so the windshield will have to stay. Plus it's just a much easier ride. Most of your bugs come here to have their babies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't bought a windshield yet, but I plan to, just because of all the wind hitting me and being a first time biker this year. However, It is fun to ride on the bike at highway speeds, or just go on the backroads and cruise

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I run a shield slightly taller than that one. It took a few short rides with a wrench to get it adjusted just right but I love my Street Sheild

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Yesterday was my first <100mi ride at highway speeds (I'm relatively young.)

On the 750, it was incredibly thrilling!
I assume you were on the highway then? So about 50 miles out and 50 miles back - did you stop anywhere? Find anything unexpected or awesome? Did the road show you or teach you anything? Just curious. :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts