Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Fire & Steel Engine Guard for my 95. I bought it used from someone on the forum. I was expecting the installation instructions, but didn't get them and he hasn't responded. :( I spent 1/2 hour laying under the bike trying to figure out how it mounts before giving up. Does anyone have these, and if so do you still have the instructions, or can you take a couple of pics so I can at least see where it mounts?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

JoeM

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I'm sure a few here have the F&S guard. The only pic I could find was from the Cruiser Customizing web site.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just got a Fire & Steel Engine Guard for my 95. I bought it used from someone on the forum. I was expecting the installation instructions, but didn't get them and he hasn't responded. :( I spent 1/2 hour laying under the bike trying to figure out how it mounts before giving up. Does anyone have these, and if so do you still have the instructions, or can you take a couple of pics so I can at least see where it mounts?

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

JoeM
If you will PM me (hgree) with your email I will send you a copy of the instructions this afternoon.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you will PM me (hgree) with your email I will send you a copy of the instructions this afternoon.
PM sent earlier this afternoon. Thanks

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
hgree, if you don't mind, I'm going to PM you as well. I got the same thing last fall with no instructions. I'm pretty sure I know how it goes on, but instructions sure would not hurt (what am I saying?!?!?!?! I'm a GUY!!! I don't need instructions!!!!)

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
" Instructions? We don't need no stinkin' instructions " We own VN 750s"

The handymans dream !!!

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A couple of guys on another forum who installed one a couple of years ago told me they had to pull one side's exhaust off to get it into the right position. They also said that it takes a little force to lever it into the correct position.

Those comments below:

"okay, I remember now ... you'll have to losen the exhaust so you can finagle things around. It's a TIGHT fit, will take some OOMPH to get all the bolt holes to line up. Use of a screw driver for leverage is handy.

Look at the bike, it'll be pretty obvious where the mount has to go and what bolts you'll have to remove in the process. I do know we loosened or removed the exhaust on one side to get this to work, probably the left side but not sure now. I think we also loosed or removed the shifter peg and maybe even the foot rests. Mainly just so you had access to things. If you have a digital camera, take a couple pics of the left and right side of your bike and post them, that should trigger my memory more."

And:

"Ah yes, I remember this hateful thing now. We took the pipe out so we could get at the right side bolts. It's murder. Actually, it wasn't terrible until we tried to get the pipe back on. Make sure you understand how the clampy thing at the end of the pipe (where it meets the cylinder) works, or better yet don't dismantle it from the pipe and you'll be ok. That's what threw us for a loop, was getting the clampy thing back on the pipe to reattach. You shouldn't have to force it at all, just slide the bigger half down and attach the smaller one (I think).

I seem to recall that the bottom bits attach to the footpeg mount bolts or somesuch. Look it over carefully before hand and don't shoot yourself in the foot and you should avoid the "two monkeys with wrenches" effect that we had."

Sounds promising, doesn't it? Hopefully hgree can get us those instructions. BigT who just checked in here for the first time yesterday or the day before said he was looking at one on ebay, so if he gets it there is another possible source.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
A couple of guys on another forum who installed one a couple of years ago told me they had to pull one side's exhaust off to get it into the right position. They also said that it takes a little force to lever it into the correct position.

Those comments below:

"okay, I remember now ... you'll have to losen the exhaust so you can finagle things around. It's a TIGHT fit, will take some OOMPH to get all the bolt holes to line up. Use of a screw driver for leverage is handy.

Look at the bike, it'll be pretty obvious where the mount has to go and what bolts you'll have to remove in the process. I do know we loosened or removed the exhaust on one side to get this to work, probably the left side but not sure now. I think we also loosed or removed the shifter peg and maybe even the foot rests. Mainly just so you had access to things. If you have a digital camera, take a couple pics of the left and right side of your bike and post them, that should trigger my memory more."

And:

"Ah yes, I remember this hateful thing now. We took the pipe out so we could get at the right side bolts. It's murder. Actually, it wasn't terrible until we tried to get the pipe back on. Make sure you understand how the clampy thing at the end of the pipe (where it meets the cylinder) works, or better yet don't dismantle it from the pipe and you'll be ok. That's what threw us for a loop, was getting the clampy thing back on the pipe to reattach. You shouldn't have to force it at all, just slide the bigger half down and attach the smaller one (I think).

I seem to recall that the bottom bits attach to the footpeg mount bolts or somesuch. Look it over carefully before hand and don't shoot yourself in the foot and you should avoid the "two monkeys with wrenches" effect that we had."

Sounds promising, doesn't it? Hopefully hgree can get us those instructions. BigT who just checked in here for the first time yesterday or the day before said he was looking at one on ebay, so if he gets it there is another possible source.
Dianna just posted the instruction sheet in the post above yours. Can you get to them? If not, you need a Yahoo account.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I get "Document not Found" on Dianna's link. (??)
I believe you need to be logged into a Yahoo account for it to work.
It does work fine for me.

Jon

Stopped working for me too??????? Can't access any of the files on the Yahoo group.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I logged into Yahoo and tried but it didn't work. If anyone can open this please post it.

Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I get "Document not Found" on Dianna's link. (??)
DMAG,

I found this. Go to the Yahoo Group and click on Files.

Choose Bodywork and/or Painting

It is the 5th one down the list.

JoeM

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here's some pics...

Attachments

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
DMAG,

I found this. Go to the Yahoo Group and click on Files.

Choose Bodywork and/or Painting
Ah ha !!
That explains why I couldn't find it there. Didn't think to look in that category!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts