Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just bought a ‘89 750. She’s real pretty. I’ve always been generally capable but never been practiced in learning how to fend for myself in the mechanical world, I thought this would be a fun way to learn. Finished the ‘tuxedo’ mod, bike runs great, but one thing the instructionals I read/ watched never dealt with was dealing with the wiring at the end. I was able to wrestle the stator grommet in there, but the coil grommet is good and ****ed up. I tried draining the oil again, cleaning with dawn and then degreaser, and making a grommet in place with ‘ the right stuff’, but I still have an oil leak- a drop or two per second when she’s revving.
Any experience from those who have done the mod successfully would be great- even better would be a source of those two grommets, I’ve only run into dead ends, and I’d love to have a leak free, permanent solution as I’m going to sell this bike this summer and buy something a little smaller/ lighter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Make a "custom" gasket using gasket maker that comes in a tube. I had a leak as well but haven't had a drop since I made a gasket. Make sure you get a heart rated one. I believe I used parmatex and it's the red one, not the blue. Hope this helps. PS if you've done the stator mod and relocated the r/r, you should just keep the bike since you likely took away the biggest flaw in it that causes it to sell for cheap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Are you sure you are leaking from where the wires come out of the case? I purchased cork and rubber gasket material and created a gasket because I couldn't get the cover to fit flush.

When I first did the mod I had a similar leak from the wire channel. I fixed it by coating them all over with Permatex ultra blue. (I should have used ultra black but I had blue in the garage and didn't feel like driving back out to the parts store.) Pay particular attention to the area in the back of the channel where there is a notch on the bottom. That's what I missed the first time. I filled the notch with Permatex and smeared the stuff all around the grommets and wires. No leaks 300 miles later.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,026 Posts
I had a leak from the grommet where the stator wires came through the case. Still had a minor leak after I replaced the stator (by pulling the engine). I sprayed the area down with brake parts cleaner (it doesn't hurt to get a little in the oil) to get all the oil off the grommet, then sealed it with Permatex Ultra Black. This stuff dries hard, it is not like typical blue RTV. It never leaked again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I had a leak from the grommet where the stator wires came through the case. Still had a minor leak after I replaced the stator (by pulling the engine). I sprayed the area down with brake parts cleaner (it doesn't hurt to get a little in the oil) to get all the oil off the grommet, then sealed it with Permatex Ultra Black. This stuff dries hard, it is not like typical blue RTV. It never leaked again.
I'm going to try your method. i used " the right stuff" last time. I'm hoping I can clean and fill in the problem area successfully- otherwise, everything is coming out and I'm starting fresh.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top