Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess this is a common problem. The metallic (plastic-ey) finish on my speedometer, voltometer, etc is peeling. I've seen a few pictures of bikes with these painted black. What's the procedure? I'm not against sanding them down and using plain old black rustoleum. Cheap is my specialty.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Guess this is a common problem. The metallic (plastic-ey) finish on my speedometer, voltometer, etc is peeling. I've seen a few pictures of bikes with these painted black. What's the procedure? I'm not against sanding them down and using plain old black rustoleum. Cheap is my specialty.
Yup.. that is the procedure.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Here is a link with a little info on painting the gauge trim.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15810&highlight=paint+speedo+rings

There is an old thread with a complete write-up and pics, but I can`t find it now.
The best results will be obtained by taping the main part of the gauge off from the trim rings. Prying the rings off will end up with "ripples" when it is reinstalled.
I recall someone mentioning to use a flat black paint to cut down on glare that is common from the polished trim rings.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
2,519 Posts
I use some of my gun cleaners to get rid of almost all of the surface rust that was on my gauges. I think one more time with some fine steel wool will just about do the trick. I was going to paint mine silver if that didn't work out, just curious why I see a lot of people using black? It kinda makes the gauges stick out like a sore thumb to me.

·
Premium Member
4,765 Posts
Shark, I agree with you.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I was going to paint mine silver if that didn't work out, just curious why I see a lot of people using black? It kinda makes the gauges stick out like a sore thumb to me.
I recall someone mentioning to use a flat black paint to cut down on glare that is common from the polished trim rings.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I used aluminum foil. Using it like steel wool, it takes the rust off and puts the flat silver color back. Did it to my 93' 8 years ago and just now starting to need to do it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts