Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I finally got the fiance` to ride with me on the bike. Since this was her first time ever on a bike and my first time with a passenger, we only took a few laps around the apartment complex, just to be safe and comfortable. She said it was fun but she was still nervous. I told her after we take a few more trips around the complex, then we can venture out on the road behind our complex. It's generally not very busy, so we can take it easy and not have to worry about a lot of traffic. :smiley_th

We will continue to take baby steps until she feels comfortable enough to ride with me further, and I feel comfortable with my ability to control the bike with her on it.

I'll keep y'all posted on our progress.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
After my kickstand wreck last June my wife didn't want to ride anymore, but about 2 weeks ago I managed to get her back on and all is fine now...
Funny thing with her, she likes for me to run fast, well except for the lay down turns...lol...
She only likes to ride 30-40mi without a break, which is all right with me also...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
My wife was all hot and bothered for me to get a bike. Was excited when I got my '89 VN750. Then...suddenly...lost all interest in riding. *shrug*

She can't even explain why, either.

Odie well...just means I can get away from the house for some alone time. *grin*

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
my wife is always begging to go for a ride.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well mine didn't want me to have a bike because she's afraid something might happen to me, let alone to ever get on one herself.

After a yr of myself trying to talk her into it and the counselor we are started seeing a few months ago(whole nother story) also convincing her she should at least try it, she actually found she liked it.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Mine rode once when I had the original seat with no sissy bar. She didn't like it and didn't even climb on it again for several years.
Then I got a new seat made by a local guy and also put on a sissy bar. Even then it was about 2 years before she even sat on it. But once she did and liked the feeling better she was good-to-go.
I think the sissy bar giving her something to lean back into gave her a bit more security.
Regardless she likes riding now.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
My wife wanted me to get a bike, and was ecstatic when I got my VN750. after I got it, she hasn't wanted a ride... She hasn't even sat on the VN750... I have been trying for two years to get her interested in a bike, bike to no avail... but then a few months a go, I ran a crossed a deal on a little Honda CX500 that I couldn't pass up. At first this was just going to be a bring it home, fix it up, ride it once or twice and then sell it kind of deal. Then I brought it home last night... now there is a cat fight over who's bike it is (my wife's or my 17 year old Step daughter's bike).

·
At Least I Can Spell!
615 Posts
I don't want to ride with my wife (ex). I would like to take my 12 year old for a ride, though... but she won't let it happen. I have to respect her for looking out for his safety, don't disagree with her decision and perhaps I even support it in my own way. But, I still would like to share what it's like to ride with him.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
My wife loved to ride when i had my 06 vn1500 classic fi lots of room custom sissy bar corbin seat passenger peg extenders but neither of us are small people and we just do not fit together on the 750 which is ok because she has no clue of how to be a passenger on a motorcycle. and wont listen when i tell her what to do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My wife will ride with me where ever I want to go. As long as it's either the truck, boat or plane. Forget about the bike. She did sit on it once, said it was uncomfortable. Oh well.
Ron

·
Registered
321 Posts
Like most my wife really had no intrest in riding on the 700. I did manage to get to sit on it with me in the driveway and honestly it was too crowded.
Ya know nuts on the tank and elbows behind ya. Lmao
Now the nomad on the other hand with it's huge seat, sissybar, and passanger floor boards all I have to
say is want to take the bike? and her eyes light up :)

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Yesterday I finally got the fiance` to ride with me on the bike. Since this was her first time ever on a bike and my first time with a passenger, we only took a few laps around the apartment complex, just to be safe and comfortable. She said it was fun but she was still nervous. I told her after we take a few more trips around the complex, then we can venture out on the road behind our complex. It's generally not very busy, so we can take it easy and not have to worry about a lot of traffic. :smiley_th

We will continue to take baby steps until she feels comfortable enough to ride with me further, and I feel comfortable with my ability to control the bike with her on it.

I'll keep y'all posted on our progress.
Good for you both man! The one thing that really helped me learn to ride 2 up was coming to a stop. If you really focus on the stop, you can keep the bike perfectly up right. If the bike doesn't lean in either direction when coming to a stop, its way easier to control it and keep it there. Doing that helped me out when I first started.

The girl I'm seeing now loves the bike. We actually started talking after she approached me at work when I was in full gear. Apparently she loves motorcycles. We've been dating a while now. Actually there's a couple stories in the regional forum about some of our more off-the-wall adventures.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put my girlfriend on my 750 yesterday to head over to my parents for dinner. Every time I had to actually steer the bike into a turn or something she tensed up leaned away from the turns, lol. I told her it wasn't doing much for the stability of the ride but she still couldn't stop herself from doing it. I was really hoping she would enjoy it but it's looking like I'm going to be solo for the most part.

Oh well, she won't be able to complain when I take it out by myself with my buddy's, I'll just tell her that I know she wouldn't enjoy it anyways.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
^ If you can get her on the bike again, tell her to squeeze her knees together (watch the pipes!) and hold on to you tight. That way when you lean she leans...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
One of the sites I looked at before my wife rode for the first time said the passenger should look over the operators shoulder while turning. Turn left, left shoulder, etc. This forces the passenger to mimic the operators body position. Another rule is the passenger keeps their feet on the pegs until told they can dismount. Google riding two up for some more tips.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One of the sites I looked at before my wife rode for the first time said the passenger should look over the operators shoulder while turning. Turn left, left shoulder, etc. This forces the passenger to mimic the operators body position. Another rule is the passenger keeps their feet on the pegs until told they can dismount. Google riding two up for some more tips.
Those are the two main things i told her. Most of the time she'd look over the correct shoulder and then look back the other way at traffic or whatever, lol.
It's a small enough bike so that it's still crowded, it would probably be different if I had a full touring.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't have to worry about my wife riding. She puts the bike over the load limit. ;D

·
Registered
89 Posts
LOL, hope she doesn't read this board...:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
My wife grew up around bikes, her folks both ride (her father for most of his life) and she used to ride a lot with her father when she was younger. But, apparently, they were riding with some friends once and the dude in front of them slammed on his brakes hard and skidded and my father-in-law skid into the side of the other bike (neither bike laid over, no one was hurt or anything, just a little kiss of the bikes... who knows, maybe the bikes had a thing for each other)... Ever since then she has had very little longing to be on a bike. She still likes them a lot, and every once in a while will ride with her dad, but she hasn't ridden with me at all yet. She has long told me that if I move up to a bagger she will happily ride with me, and so I always keep my eye out for a sweet deal that can not be passed up on one. (On a side note, almost traded my VN on a really nice '99 Yamaha Venture the other day, which would have made her day and I would have never gotten her off the bike again... But, he traded it to someone else before I had the chance... First come first serve got me again... LOL...)

But, my wife is 18 weeks pregnant and I don't see her even contemplating the possibility of riding with me anytime soon anyways. But, she does want a CanAm Spyder Roadster so that she can ride her own "bike" and ride with me all the time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
At least its not like my wife, I bought her a 4 wheeler, and she could not drive it. She does good to keep her van on the road at times. She looked at me and wanted me to buy her a motorcycle. I just had to laugh, and say nope!

When I first talked about getting a bike, she was excited, until I actually got it. I think she is a little scarred of it, and does not want to ride on it with me. She does not put it over the weight limit, but I do lol.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts