Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

· Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
While I'm waiting for the guard to be finished, I've been blessed with a few days of above freezing weather to get her out and ride a bit!

Reactions: mmart

· Premium Member
1,810 Posts
So are you looking for a fully chromed tach Mike? I've got one in stellar condition that you can have if you want it.

In perhaps an experience similar to yours, I was looking for a tach to replace mine (which has like a hard water stain inside the lens). A guy gave me one from a '03 that he was parting out. It didn't occur to me until I got it home that my '86 had a different finish scheme - chrome for most of the housing and matte silver paint above the ridge. It's just sitting in my parts bin.
Thanks, that’s mighty kind of you, I will certainly keep that in mind. I never noticed the 86 had a different scheme. Where they refinished or stock like that?

· Registered
183 Posts
Thanks, that’s mighty kind of you, I will certainly keep that in mind. I never noticed the 86 had a different scheme. Where they refinished or stock like that?
I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's stock. I'm also not sure how many other years might've been that way. I doubt it was limited to the '86.

I felt kinda silly but once I noticed the "two-tone" styling on my gauges, I began seeing further evidence of it across the bike. The most obvious example, I would say, are the wheels. Again, I don't know when Kawasaki made the switch or if the wheels changed the same time as everything else but the wheels on my bike are mostly black with exposed silver aluminum highlights. On later models, they're completely silver.

Similarly, the mounts for the front and rear turn signals on my bike are not chromed. They are bare aluminum.

I like chrome - it certainly has a way of dressing up a bike - but I also like what Kawasaki did with the "two-tone" concept. It adds contrast and a subtle "rawness".

· Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I'm not sure but I'm guessing it's stock. I'm also not sure how many other years might've been that way. I doubt it was limited to the '86.

I felt kinda silly but once I noticed the "two-tone" styling on my gauges, I began seeing further evidence of it across the bike. The most obvious example, I would say, are the wheels. Again, I don't know when Kawasaki made the switch or if the wheels changed the same time as everything else but the wheels on my bike are mostly black with exposed silver aluminum highlights. On later models, they're completely silver.

Similarly, the mounts for the front and rear turn signals on my bike are not chromed. They are bare aluminum.

I like chrome - it certainly has a way of dressing up a bike - but I also like what Kawasaki did with the "two-tone" concept. It adds contrast and a subtle "rawness".
I was familiar with the wheels with the accent, I’ve also seen the motor blacked out except for the stator and clutch plates on one of the early models and I really liked that look a lot. After reading your reply, I looked up stock pics and although I never noticed I do kinda see a two-tone aspect to the gauges. Yes they’re internet pictures, but a little CSI style image analysis helps me to the conclusion.
My attitude towards chrome is that I like it, but less is more and it should pop. I’d probably never have a super chromed out bike, but completely blacked out doesn’t do it for me either. My bike is an 05 so it’s black and silver, it’s a good compromise. I think Kawasaki did well with the color schemes throughout the production run. In fact I think they’re still doing well with the color schemes especially the retro style W800’s and the Z900rs. I see those bikes and I start wondering what the 750 would look like with the gold wheels and accents, or maybe copper… and that thought train leaves the station lol
EDIT:
This is the tach I have, one coat of the paint that I don’t like. The Rust-Oleum I used on my chain link fence finished shiner than this.

Attachments

· Registered
183 Posts
I was familiar with the wheels with the accent, I’ve also seen the motor blacked out except for the stator and clutch plates on one of the early models and I really liked that look a lot. After reading your reply, I looked up stock pics and although I never noticed I do kinda see a two-tone aspect to the gauges. Yes they’re internet pictures, but a little CSI style image analysis helps me to the conclusion.
My attitude towards chrome is that I like it, but less is more and it should pop. I’d probably never have a super chromed out bike, but completely blacked out doesn’t do it for me either. My bike is an 05 so it’s black and silver, it’s a good compromise. I think Kawasaki did well with the color schemes throughout the production run. In fact I think they’re still doing well with the color schemes especially the retro style W800’s and the Z900rs. I see those bikes and I start wondering what the 750 would look like with the gold wheels and accents, or maybe copper… and that thought train leaves the station lol
EDIT:
This is the tach I have, one coat of the paint that I don’t like. The Rust-Oleum I used on my chain link fence finished shiner than this.
I agree, all chrome is too much and I've never gotten into the all-black look either. One thing I do think would make my bike look even better is the semi-blacked out motor accents. Many of the bikes in the 80's vintage (including my XT) were blacking the block and then brushing the finish off the outside of the cooling fins. Fins obviously weren't even necessary on the water-cooled engines but presumably retained for looks. I'm surprised my '86 doesn't have the black/silver engine scheme, despite the various other shading effects across the bike.

Incidentally, why were you attempting to paint that tach in the first place? What were you going for?

P. S. For the record, I would LOVE to see copper have a lustrous moment in bike (or even automotive) design! I once decked out a whole room of my house with copper art, antiques, and knick-knacks.

Reactions: mmart

· Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I agree, all chrome is too much and I've never gotten into the all-black look either. One thing I do think would make my bike look even better is the semi-blacked out motor accents. Many of the bikes in the 80's vintage (including my XT) were blacking the block and then brushing the finish off the outside of the cooling fins. Fins obviously weren't even necessary on the water-cooled engines but presumably retained for looks. I'm surprised my '86 doesn't have the black/silver engine scheme, despite the various other shading effects across the bike.

Incidentally, why were you attempting to paint that tach in the first place? What were you going for?

P. S. For the record, I would LOVE to see copper have a lustrous moment in bike (or even automotive) design! I once decked out a whole room of my house with copper art, antiques, and knick-knacks.
I agree copper is under represented, I painted the tach because it was already painted a different color.

Here’s a stock pic of the VN with the blacked out motor. I don’t know which year it is to be honest, but I like it.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,016 Posts
I agree copper is under represented, I painted the tach because it was already painted a different color.

Here’s a stock pic of the VN with the blacked out motor. I don’t know which year it is to be honest, but I like it.
View attachment 55625
I think all the 700 engines were black, if I recall correctly.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts