Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After three long trips, I finally bought an engine gaurd from eBay! Only, it's bent! The left side is pushed inwards about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I struggled to figure out how it was supposed to fit, only to have the holes still not line up. I'm going to see if I can have it unbent.

I've heard there are two styles. This is the style with the rotating piece on the right side.

What really sucks is I have my front/right exhaust removed so I can't ride until that's back on. I wanted to ride tomorrow too since it is going to be nice. I'm trying to ride at least once every month, and February will mark 24 months in a row. In northern IL, I don't know if I'll have another chance in January without being really stupid and really cold.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Electrical wiring Gas Wire Cable Auto part

Wood Gas Hardwood Plank Composite material

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
I was able to straighten my handlebars by strapping the bike to the hitch on my pickup, then parking the tractor close and pulling the handlebar with a ratchet strap connected to the tractor.

· Premium Member
159 Posts
Hi sprockster

You Could have a new job Dentist I would rather go to you

• Haha
Reactions: Jason Pittenger

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Hi sprockster

You Could have a new job Dentist I would rather go to you
Sure thing, stop on by and I'll have the drill charged up. :)

· Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rain 1, Jason Riding 0.
It's raining pretty hard today so I'm going to bet on another day for riding. Hopefully I can get the guard installed by then. I need to pick up some longer bolts and a couple of spacer washers anyways.

I tried some ratchet straps between my truck and a trailer, and it didn't budge. It's going to need some serious force to bend it back. I have a friend that has the know how and tools. He's just worried the chrome will chip.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Rain 1, Jason Riding 0.
It's raining pretty hard today so I'm going to bet on another day for riding. Hopefully I can get the guard installed by then. I need to pick up some longer bolts and a couple of spacer washers anyways.

I tried some ratchet straps between my truck and a trailer, and it didn't budge. It's going to need some serious force to bend it back. I have a friend that has the know how and tools. He's just worried the chrome will chip.
Maybe use a heat gun to warm it up? A hydraulic press might help.

Bolt everywhere that lines up then ratchet strap it?

· Administrator
2006 VN750
1,013 Posts
Why on earth wouldn't you return it and ask for a replacement???

I assume the seller insured it, so if it was bent by the carrier then the seller wouldn't be at fault.

You could potentially worsen the problem. Get a replacement before you possibly void your opportunity to do so.

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Why on earth wouldn't you return it and ask for a replacement???

I assume the seller insured it, so if it was bent by the carrier then the seller wouldn't be at fault.

You could potentially worsen the problem. Get a replacement before you possibly void your opportunity to do so.
#1 probably bought used
#2 getting more scarce, none made for ten years or more

· Super Moderator
2003 VN750
11,044 Posts
Sure thing, stop on by and I'll have the drill charged up. :)
The only thing I have for anesthesia is some twenty year old Jack Daniels, twenty year old moonshine, and a large wooden mallet.

· Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is the item.

It does show a slight blemish on the bent side in the pictures.
It has a 30 day return and a 60 day warranty.
But I expect if I return it, it will be relegated to the scrap heap and I'll only have my money back.
The last one I saw on eBay (regardless of price) was $85 and fairly rusty.

I may not be able to make a warranty claim anyways.
The bend is actually visible in the pictures on eBay, but I didn't realize that that is not how it's supposed to look.
The seller was honest with what they were selling.
(Pictures directly from the auction below)
Liquid Fluid Drinkware Geologist's hammer Water
Household hardware Font Bicycle part Automotive exterior Silver

You’ll need washers to shim out the foot pegs
Here’s an OEM install sheet for the engine guard
Thanks! That saves me from guessing!

Reactions: mmart

· Administrator
2006 VN750
1,013 Posts
This is the item.

It does show a slight blemish on the bent side in the pictures.
It has a 30 day return and a 60 day warranty.
But I expect if I return it, it will be relegated to the scrap heap and I'll only have my money back.
The last one I saw on eBay (regardless of price) was $85 and fairly rusty.

I may not be able to make a warranty claim anyways.
The bend is actually visible in the pictures on eBay, but I didn't realize that that is not how it's supposed to look.
The seller was honest with what they were selling.
(Pictures directly from the auction below)
View attachment 55599 View attachment 55600
Thanks! That saves me from guessing!
In that case, my vote is for heat and gradual pressure. Hopefully the chrome won't crackle. I suppose if I could find one of those that was just structurally sound, I wouldn't care too much if the chrome was ruined. I'd probably sand it down and paint it. But yours looks proper shiny, so I can understand why you snatched it up. Good luck, man. I hope it comes out okay. We better get some pics once you've got it on!

· Registered
80 Posts
In that case, my vote is for heat and gradual pressure. Hopefully the chrome won't crackle. I suppose if I could find one of those that was just structurally sound, I wouldn't care too much if the chrome was ruined. I'd probably sand it down and paint it. But yours looks proper shiny, so I can understand why you snatched it up. Good luck, man. I hope it comes out okay. We better get some pics once you've got it on!
I'd ride to a welding shop and mock it up on the bike so a journeyman could see exactly what you are talking about. Probably a 10 min fix.

· Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took it to a guy I know that does good work. He observed that the chrome already started crackle from the initial incident. He's hoping it doesn't get worse while bending it back!

That said, I might have the guard powder coated. It already has a scrape mark on it, and a couple tiny spots of surface rust by the bolt holes.

What do you think, would a black powder coat fit the aesthetics of an otherwise stock color scheme? I did save the chrome side covers from my '89 and I'm using those instead of the stock black ones.

I guess they also make a "chrome" powder coat that's supposed to closely match the look of chrome.

· Premium Member
1,821 Posts
I think since the frame of the bike is black the engine guard would blend in just fine. I cant blame you for second guessing though. I still have that tach I bought from you in the box because I painted it “chrome” and it just doesn’t look like the OEM, I figured for it to look right I’d have to take off the speedo and paint them both to match but I never got around to it.

· Administrator
2006 VN750
1,013 Posts
I took it to a guy I know that does good work. He observed that the chrome already started crackle from the initial incident. He's hoping it doesn't get worse while bending it back!

That said, I might have the guard powder coated. It already has a scrape mark on it, and a couple tiny spots of surface rust by the bolt holes.

What do you think, would a black powder coat fit the aesthetics of an otherwise stock color scheme? I did save the chrome side covers from my '89 and I'm using those instead of the stock black ones.

I guess they also make a "chrome" powder coat that's supposed to closely match the look of chrome.
Do you recall me sharing the pics of the tank and fenders that I'd had powder coated? I'll continue, assuming the answer is 'yes'.

I saw some examples of "chrome" powder-coating, and it's just not the same. It looks okay, but it also looks like exactly what it is: Fake chrome pretending to be real chrome.

I think the black would be a great choice.

· Super Moderator
12,464 Posts
Black would be my pick too. My only question is “does power coat stick well to chrome?”
All the power coating I did was on bare metal that had a non-shiny surface.
This kind of answered that question;

· Administrator
2006 VN750
1,013 Posts
Black would be my pick too. My only question is “does power coat stick well to chrome?”
All the power coating I did was on bare metal that had a non-shiny surface.
This kind of answered that question;

Yeah, you'd have to sand-blast it first. They guy that did my tank and fenders taught me quite a bit about it. I was hoping he could paint right over the chrome, but he said not if you want it to stay there...

· Registered
186 Posts
I think since the frame of the bike is black the engine guard would blend in just fine. I cant blame you for second guessing though. I still have that tach I bought from you in the box because I painted it “chrome” and it just doesn’t look like the OEM, I figured for it to look right I’d have to take off the speedo and paint them both to match but I never got around to it.
So are you looking for a fully chromed tach Mike? I've got one in stellar condition that you can have if you want it.

In perhaps an experience similar to yours, I was looking for a tach to replace mine (which has like a hard water stain inside the lens). A guy gave me one from a '03 that he was parting out. It didn't occur to me until I got it home that my '86 had a different finish scheme - chrome for most of the housing and matte silver paint above the ridge. It's just sitting in my parts bin.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts