Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm finally ready to mount my homemade saddlebag brackets. I got them powdercoated semi gloss black at work. It's the same coating we use on the subway car axles we make, so it should hold up really good.
I decided against attaching brackets for the helmet locks. I hardly used them before because of them being under the saddlebags, and when I did want to lock the helmet up, I'd just use my padlock and lock it to the mirror post. Works just as good !
Well, here's what they look like before being mounted. I'm gonna try to get the on Wednesday, before work.

Before painting....

After painting

·
Registered
495 Posts
They look great, especially after painting!

·
Registered
699 Posts
now the question is.....how many orders are you gonna receive for them lol
great job, they turned out clean

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I wanna see them on the bike. How are you going to mount the bags to the brackets? I've still got to come up with some mount for my bags. They are both so big that they practically sit on the exhaust.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks all :beerchug:

I'll try to get a pic of them on the bike this afternoon (thursday).
I'm really pleased with how the powdercoat made them look.

As far as mounting the bags (the nylon 'Moto Pak' ones I got recently from ebay), I was going to use some of the wire clamps I mentioned in a thread about mounting Wing racks for Givi bags awhile ago. They would've been clamped on the brackets and riveted to the bags. But I didn't like the idea of not being able to remove them easily.
Luckily, the bags are zipped to the strap between them, so I'm just putting them under the seat. I might put some small straps of velcro on the bags that can wrap around the brackets, just so they don't flop around too much while riding.

Would be nice if I could take some orders for these, only trouble is, if you'd hold these brackets side by side, they're both a good bit different in shape. The only thing really the same is the mounting locations.
Maybe soon, I could make up a jig to make it alot easier for the bending part. I don't mind having them on my bike (they'll be under the bags most of the time anyhow) but I really wouldn't want to sell them like this to anybody.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, here are the brackets mounted..............

And with the bags mounted...............

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Those Bags are wide. Looking good.

·
Registered
699 Posts
great job....they even look good without the bags on, which is something that most supports don't do

·
Registered
495 Posts
What kind of bags are those? They look a little like the ones I just bought.

Oh, and the supports look great!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ccspinner said:
Those Bags are wide.
They are kind of wide. 14" L x 11" H x 8.5" W. Plus, they expand 3 inches to be 11.5" W !!! Also have a smaller outside zipped pocket on each bag.
TrashLord said:
They even look good without the bags on, which is something that most supports don't do.
I didn't like the looks of alot supports I've seen either, which is why I went with the semi-gloss powdercoat. It keeps them kind of inconspicuous.
Kait said:
What kind of bags are those?
They're MotoPak GTS60's
They're on sale for $103.49 at the website. I got them from ebay for $61 incl. shipping. The guy bought them a year or two ago, but never used them, so they're still like brand new.
The only thing I don't like, they open from the sides. If I forget to zip 'em up, there'a a chance stuff could fall out.:doh:
I'd rather they opened from the top.

Oh, yeah, the seat in the pics is one I got from ebay too, for $25. The guy had some kind of 'Oasis' (or something like that) back rest on it which mounted through the seat, so there's a slice about 2 inches long right where the front button of the passenger seat should be. I'm going to use this seat for my Volvo backrest, so the cut won't be seen at all.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Reviving an old thread

I am gonna go your route with my supports, Hyperbuzzin.

Just a few questions about your mounting-
1). I noticed you mounted them on the shock mounting bolts and the helmet lock plate. I was thinking of mounting them on the inside or outside of the handle there on the fender. Anyways, what exactly did you use for the attachment part? I am planning on using 1/8th inch steel plate and drilling a hole through then grinding it down to the shape/size I want.. is that pretty much what you did?
thanks- looks great!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts