Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried or know if a vn1600 final drive bolt up to our swing arm and if the ratio is different? i would love to cruize at higher speed with out working the engine so hard.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
didnt the vn1500 and 1600 have the same final drive

if they do fergy has a vn1500 maybe he would measure

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
interesting thoughts here... I see it plausable... but it isn't going to be a direct swap... items needed... final drive and wheel from same model of bike, along with a swing arm and drive shaft. You will then have to carefully measure both the stock swing arm and the swing arm for the new final drive. cut and splice the new final drive swing arm onto the vn750 swing arm, and the same goes for the drive shaft. you might need the axle as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look at one posted on ebay the wheel splines look identical. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN1500-1500-FINAL-DRIVE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5c614867QQitemZ130398898279QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories We have some room by machineing the spacer if it is too wide. I would not mind cutting the flange off the 1500 swing arm to reweld it to mine, and my experience in the automotive side I should be able to attach the 1500 drive shaft with a hybrid u-joint http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWASAKI-VULCAN-1500-DRIVESHAFT-DRIVE-SHAFT-VN1500-00-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2304bc44f6QQitemZ150403302646QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories and possibley the coupler would attache to my shaft? I wish I could get a hold of a loner. Maybe take mine to the slavage yard and compare.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I email the Pinwall Cycle through ebay with a hand full of questions for us. hopefully he will come through since I have bought several parts from him. if they do not get back to me i may take a trip to the dealer with my calipers to take some measrurements to get the flange to axle centerline and bolt patern. I will deffinatly post my findings, also does anyone know if the drive shaft u-joint is available?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did find out that the couple is substatially bigger. Our coupler c clip is 16mm and the 1500 is 26mm. but is does not mean the u-joints are not the same, but the manual does have a replacement part number.

·
Registered
796 Posts
This would be interesting to see the outcome but isn't most of the gearing in the transmission itself? I know some is in the splines of the final drive and gear ratio like in a truck but also the gears in the trans are set at a lower gear for torque. You could do all of this and have the same animal with a different final drive. I would ask a Kawy certified mechanic what the final drive gear ratio is between the 750 and 1500 before I started cutting things up. It might be easier to try and add a 6th gear. lol

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
our final drive is 2.52:1 and the vn1500 is 2.619:1

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
with that said it would affect us adversely :(

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
well the hunt is on for another final drive unit to work with... how about going with another brand of final drive all together... like one off of a yamiha or even a Honda?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Possible but would more than likely require a complete different wheel.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Looks like that would make it worse. The vn750 is 2&1/2 turns drive shaft to 1 turn of the tire. And the 1500 is a bit over 2&1/2 turns to the shaft to make one turn to the tire. Correct me if I am seeing this wrong.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
you are seeing it right.. hence looking for a different wheel and final drive combo... personally I am looking for a set of spoked wheels. so doing a different final drive was already in my plans.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is a 650 that share our swing arm that has spoke wheels. I cannot remember it off the top of my head, but I have to front end at home. I will find out when I get off watch.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
thanks HZardy... I know that there is a a couple of bikes with spokes that share our final drive, but with every thing else I am doing to the rear suspension, one with a better gear ratio would be a better alternative.

I am chopping up the stock swing arm to extend it a few inches to achieve a 4" drop with stock 12" in order to achieve this, I have to chop up the stock swing arm, and splice in lengths of swing arm and driveshaft. since I already have to hack and splice, I was thinking useing another final drive wouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well since you want to drop it I have the perfect fork set you can have for shipping. I'll send you pics of it. It has the spoke wheel axle speedo brakes pretty much complete. The guy I bought my bike from incase I wanted to get rid of the rake and keep the drop.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
hmm will the dropped forks woork with my CX 500 I wonder... that is the bike I am dropping both ends... on the VN750, I am thinking on extending the front forks... I am making a brat out of my 750

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think they make a shaft to chain conversion kit, but you would still need a new swing arm and new wheel to go with it. I've been debating turning my 750 into a project. I've got a 636 that was totaled but only in the front end. The motor wiring harness and everything needed for the motor is there amd it still runs. I wonder how hard it would be to swap the motor and tranny into the frame and possibly see about getting a custom swing arm made. Decisions decisions 😐😐 the 636 looks like it would fit just right with some different motor mounts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
seeing that this is your first post how about an introduction in the newbie section?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts