Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was going to check my final drive oil. I have had this bike about a month, it is an 06. Below the drain plug under the rim there is a rectangular opening, is it suppose to be open like that? Seems like dirt would get in, also there was oil there? Or is there suppose to be some kind of plug there?

I looked in my clymer book and can't find an image of it.

Thanks

Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Hi all, I was going to check my final drive oil. I have had this bike about a month, it is an 06. Below the drain plug under the rim there is a rectangular opening, is it suppose to be open like that? Seems like dirt would get in, also there was oil there? Or is there suppose to be some kind of plug there?

I looked in my clymer book and can't find an image of it.

Thanks

Patrick
I just went out and looked at my 2001. I have the same opening, no plug. It was dry, no oil. It might be there to vent the drum brake. Not sure

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for checking for me. I feel better that the opening is suppose to be there). Hopefully the oil there on mine is not a bad thing. I stuck my finger up inside there and it was oily too.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Thanks for checking for me. I feel better that the opening is suppose to be there). Hopefully the oil there on mine is not a bad thing. I stuck my finger up inside there and it was oily too.
You're welcome. Check back later. One of the guys will tell us what it's there for. :smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Never noticed it before, but went and checked my `91.
For the information of those trying to visualize this "vent", it is a rectangular opening about a 1/2 wide" by 1" long at 6 o`clock on the circumference of the final drive directly below the drain plug.
You need an inspection mirror or to lay on the ground to see it.

There is no plug and just a thin film of oil around the edge of the opening.
I don`t know what it`s purpose is either, but must be a vent for something.:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for checking Hoss, its kind of reassuring that yours was a bit oily as well, I was affraid my final drive oil was leaking or something. I checked the fluid level, it is a tad low, just below the threads. It would be easier to just add a little, but the manuals say to use the same kind and since I just purchased the bike I have no idea what kind to add. I just ordered a few aluminum washers from ron ayers,for the drain plug. I guess I will drain and refill when I get them.

Do our bikes make a bit of a whine sound when driving about? At idle there is no sound but when driving I get a bit of a whine sound. I have never had a bike before so I'm not really sure what is normal and what is not. The sound got me snooping around making sure all of my fluid levels were correct.

Thanks again

Patrick

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
So you only get the whine sound when the mc is moving?
That seems to eliminate the engine or the exhaust as the source.

Does the sound vary with wheel speed?
Is it high or low pitched in frequency?
Coming from the front or rear?

The more specific your info, the more likely someone will be able to help identify the source or cause.
It has been too long since I have ridden mine to recall accurately if I had any whine.

·
Banned
448 Posts
The whine is most likely coming from the final drive, and is nothing to worry about. Mine whines pretty good till the oil warms up, and after riding a few minutes, it quiets right down.
Mine whines the most when I let off the throttle. Riding it I don't hear it, but I'm usually hard on the throttle getting up to speed.
The slot in the bottom of the drive is a drain of sorts, like if you are riding in the rain or give it a bath, it let's the water drain out from around the drive to keep it from rusting inside, and it also there if the drive starts leaking oil so you know that it's leaking and not holding all of the oil inside the drive case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok, I just went driving tonight. The whine does increase as I accelerate and it seems to go away if I pull the clutch in, so I guess it is the final drive. I don't know if our bikes normally make a whine/whistle kind of sound like a sport bike when we accelerate.

Also, I noticed my bike makes a knocking sound that seems to come from the front right(as close as I can tell) of the bike when I'm driving. But if I put the bike up on the center stand and go through the gears and get the tach up the engine sounds great no knocking at all. Kind of confusing.

This bike has a little over 2600 miles on it. I replaced the fuse box to fix a not working cooling fan. I was having an idling problem late last week, the bike would jump up in rpms on its own. I put 3.5 ounces of sea foam in the gas tank, and that seems to have corrected the idle problem. There is some surface rust in my gas tank, the only thing that is not working on the bike at this point is the fuel gauge, the guage itself works when jumpered, I have a sending unit to replace the old one but have not done that yet. Just trying to give all the info I have about this bike so far. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts