Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to remove my rear wheel today so I could lube the splines, but I couldn't get the left muffler off.
I checked the oil in the final drive, and it was above the threads about a 1/4 inch. Is that too much? Should I let it drain until it's at the bottom of the threads?
I also noticed a leak at the final drive on the bottom where it bolts onto the swingarm. Could it be from too much grease in the final drive? It shouldn't leak from being overfilled I think, but I could be wrong.
I know there is a seal in there, and it could be bad, so it looks like I will be rebuilding it as well.
From what I have seen in the parts list, and read it could be grease from the splines from where they were lubed, and the o-ring being bad.
Whatever the case, it will still be torn apart as soon as I figure out how to get the mufflers off.
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
4,766 Posts
Did you put a 2"X6" (or thicker) board under the centerstand to raise the rear end higher? One member said he let the air out of the tire and didn't have to remove the exhaust, eliminating the need for new crush washers.

The procedure for lubing the splines is in fergy's signature. Are you using that as a guide?

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally removed my mufflers. They were both rotted and blown out. I replaced my rear tire this weekend, and the input shaft seal on the final drive is leaking. The back of the swingarn was full of 90W oil.
I don't have the tools to rebuild it, let alone set the proper pinion depth, so it looks like I will be looking for one.
I put it back on my bike so I can at least ride it till i get it replaced, and I filled it with Mobil 1 synthetic 70/90 W oil, and it seems to work better already with less friction when I spin it by hand.
I also noticed it had a whine when I let off the throttle till it warmed up, and now it seems to be gone with the new oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts