Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2005 Silver
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 with 22K and I have noticed after doing some more hi-way riding I have a small coating of gear oil on the rear wheel hub. Looks as if it has been drawn out past the seal by centrifugal force. There is no leak puddle after the bike has sat parked for a week. I wanted to find out if this is normal or a sign that a seal is in need of replacement? I can post some pics if no one has seen this before. But with the experience I have seen in this group I doubt that :notworthy

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I had the problem with my 2003, as many of us here have as well, but it finally got fixed after 2 tries. I bought the big O ring and a cardboard inner seal and had them put in but the most important component is to be sure to use Honda Molly 60 grease in the hub. If you use anything else it will ultimately leak out. Also while you're there make sure to lube the splines. Good luck.

·
2005 Silver
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Kind of where I was headed after reading some other posts. I did read the Spline lubing posts and wanted to make sure I did that if i had to dig in there.
You don't happen to have those Part numbers handy for the O-ring and gasket. I found O RING Part #671B25145 but don't see a cardboard seal on the parts diagram.
Thanks Again

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
be sure to use Honda Molly 60 grease in the hub. If you use anything else it will ultimately leak out.
I disagree. Because I have used something else and have put more than 2000 miles on the bike without it showing up on my wheel. And others have admitted to the moly 60 being slung out by centrifugal force because they used a bit too much.

I also replaced my large oil-seal [92049-1234] and it did leak a small amount of gear oil after doing so for like the first 200 miles. But now my dif case holds it's oil just fine.

·
carbon unit
369 Posts
Kay, what did you use in place of the honda moly grease?
VALVOLINE SYNPOWER GREASE

Character: Molybdenum Disulfide, Rust and Oxidation Inhibited, Extreme Pressure Fortified

and I'm using Valvoline VV824 High Performance Gear Oil SAE 85W140 for the final drive dif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,

I also notice over the last two days what looks like small leaks on my rear hub. I didn't have this problem earlier. It just started appearing. I did have the rear tire changed and spline inspection done about a week ago.

Is this more of a seal problem or does it have to do with the brand of oil and how much?

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Mine comes out but i loaded it to the max with moly 60...and it gets hot here.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think some are confusing where the oil/grease is coming from. As I see it ..it is coming from around the dif housing where it attaches to the wheel. If so that seal needs replacing after oh say 15 to 20k. My 93' that had 19k when I bought it was already leaking and I have replaced the seal twice with 45k on it now. My 01' that had just under 7k when I bought it and now has around 15k is now starting to develop the leak. If it is minimal don't worry about it and keep the rim and tire clean and the final drive full, but it will get worse so have the parts/seals on hand to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I also notice over the last two days what looks like small leaks on my rear hub. I didn't have this problem earlier. It just started appearing. I did have the rear tire changed and spline inspection done about a week ago.

Is this more of a seal problem or does it have to do with the brand of oil and how much?QUOTE]

It may be just the way you worded it, but the standard rule of thumb is not to inspect the splines with a rear tire change but to go ahead and lubricate them properly, including changing the shaft O-ring (#15). Are you sure this was done?

Regarding the leaking hub, the tech could possibly have buggered the seal when doing the "inspection", or it was time for a new one, and it wasn't replaced.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Hi,

Is this more of a seal problem or does it have to do with the brand of oil and how much?

http://www.vn750.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3065&cat=500&ppuser=8161

In most cases when the tire tech tells you that the spline were checked, he is talking about the hub splines that mate to the wheel splines. The spline lube requires the third member (final drive) be removed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In most cases when the tire tech tells you that the spline were checked, he is talking about the hub splines that mate to the wheel splines. The spline lube requires the third member (final drive) be removed.
I didn't see the tire change so now I am unsure which splines were actually checked. From the information so far it looks like I should purchase the O ring seal for the final drive shaft spline as well as the wheel hub O ring and then pull the rear wheel to inspect and lube the final drive spline as well as inspect the rear hub seal and replace as necessary.

It probably would be good to change the rear hub gear oil also. So I should also get a new aluminum gasket for the drain plug and the O ring for the filler plug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe your leak is what I had on my '03 a while back. It wasn't rearend grease out of the final drive gearbox, but excess grease from the splines on the rear wheel hub coupling assembly. Water from wet roads or washing the bike would flush a little of the grease out of the hub, and it looked like oil slinging out or dripping out on the rear wheel. Since you just had tire work done, the existing grease on the hub spline was disturbed and/or more added, making a new batch of grease that can get flushed out through the square notch in the bottom side of the Final Drive case. Look at the photos of mine to see what I'm talking about. http://www.cdthayer.com/cruisermaint_3.htm#Propeller

I found the posting above on the site. Perhaps this answers the mystery with the rear hub grease. But the photo link did not work for me. I guess I need to pull the hub to know for sure. Have others had this case of excess grease in the hub that is being spun out when the bike is in motion?

When I touch the substance on my rear hub it seems more like grease to me. Perhaps the oil seals are fine.

I better pull the wheel and do the final drive spline lube soon so I can check this out.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Without a picture we can't tell for sure where your problem lies. If the oil is coming from where the rim meets the final drive. That is a seal issue in there. If grease is coming from the area where the drive shaft housing bolts to the final drive with 4 nuts. That is an O-ring issue or seal issue in that area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took the rear wheel off this weekend as well as the final drive unit and lubed the drive shaft coupling and splines. I found that the motorcycle mechanic had put too much grease in the hub and that is why it was leaking what looked like oil but turned out to be grease.

I had to clean it up twice to get the grease off the hub and seals enough so it wouldn't heat up and fly out onto the rear wheel.

The bike is back together now and working fine. It was great to have Fergy's write-up to guide me through the spline lube procedure with the least amount of dis-assembly of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I put way more in! its still oozes out but i don't care...i want it lubed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
has anyone ever had to replace the bearing while doing the inner seal? i just ordered my inner and outer oil seal long with the big o ring. thx

·
Registered
555 Posts
my mechanic replaced both seals last year, and it's already leaking out this year. not a lot but enough to make the back tire dirty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts