Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to be a pain but I can't seem to find the "files" that outline the procedure for drilling the clutch plates (clutch grab).

Where do I look?

Thanks a bunch!

Deaner

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ol Hoss - it worked.

So, just to be sure. Drilling out the clutch hub will allow cold oil to flow outward and in between the friction plates sooner, so they will not stick and "grab" making the grinder noise and causing the bike to suddenly lurch forward when letting out the clutch in first gear - right?. My plans are to do this but keep the existing clutch springs, steel plates and friction plates bacause they are within spec.

Some have suggested just swiching to new springs and EBC Kevlar friction plates as the fix while not drilling the hub. Why would doing this stop the "grab"? Wouldn't there still be the same issue with coil oil not flowing between the friction plates soon enough if the hub wasn't drilled?

Trying to understand....... thanks!

Deaner

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`m not the right one to answer these questions. All I know about this mod is what I read on the link. The noise has never bothered me enough yet to worry about it. I`m not sure if anybody who is currently active here has performed this mod to the clutch basket. It is not discussed very often. In any event, the noise only happens when the clutch is cold for the first move off of the day and is a non-issue after the first mile or so. Not sure I would go to all the fuss. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ol Hoss

The noise doesn't bother me as much as the "grab" that just about yanks the handlebars out of your hands...... Very very hard to feather it out smoothly when cold - It just grabs!

Maybe I'll repost my question with a different title, like clutch grab, etc...

Thanks!

Deaner

·
Registered
802 Posts
Got that on mine too. Figure I'll just be prepared for the launch instead of doing the drilling.

I seem to have a knack for making any simple job complicated. Then an additional knack for making any complicated job expensive.

Cheaper just to live with it.

Hmmm, that almost sounds like marriage advice.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks Ol Hoss

The noise doesn't bother me as much as the "grab" that just about yanks the handlebars out of your hands...... Very very hard to feather it out smoothly when cold - It just grabs!

Maybe I'll repost my question with a different title, like clutch grab, etc...

Thanks!

Deaner
Maybe try some different oil.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Gone with regular oil, synthetic bike and now T6. Still does it when it's cold.

Not so much of a problem now as it's already warm in the morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts