Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals new here you have probably talked about this before but I'm looking for the older style full fenders with little to no mods to do I'm new to the bike game bud not to machanic work so any help with the fenders would be verry aprishiated

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Interesting that this came up...Ive been thinking same then adding whitewalls (poor man's dresser). I was gonna try ElectraGlide fenders as i can get em cheap from a friend.
And a note on the rear....it will need to be hinged to be able to remove the rear wheel easily (Harley rears are).

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank good idea with the harley fenders I have found a fiberglass fender called a ganster fender but it 450 or more I can get a bland for 80 bucks but getting some one to modifiy it might cost more. All and all this is still just a idea for me still waiting on income tax to see if I even get the bike

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Interesting that this came up...Ive been thinking same then adding whitewalls (poor man's dresser). I was gonna try ElectraGlide fenders as i can get em cheap from a friend.
And a note on the rear....it will need to be hinged to be able to remove the rear wheel easily (Harley rears are).
I remember my 72 Shovelhead FLH having a hinged rear fender but it wasn't long after that they came with solid rear fenders,

I would like to find one of those earlier FL fenders and I would stick it on the back of my !500 Classic ,it made tire changing a breeze on the old "Glide."

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Ah, seems like Harley was innovative way back then. A hinged fender. Interesting. To bad they never put centerstands on their old bikes (or new ones) with tube type tires to make it possible to fix a flat beside the road. People crossed the country on old Knuckleheads and Panheads, Indians, etc. with tube type tires and no centerstands, and I know they had flats. I have never found out how they dealt with them.

Back in the late '90s, there was a company called Hard Krome, or something like that, that made steel Indian type fenders for various Japanese cruisers, I was just looking through my collection of Motorcycle Cruiser magazines and found the ads.

I have an '85 1200 Goldwing, and the front fender is nothing like an Indian fender. It has a little bit more coverage, but I don't think it's the look your after.

IMO, the Vulcan 750 would not make a good dresser, the overall look is wrong. A dresser needs a much smaller diameter front wheel, much wider front tire, lower bars, and more importantly, a different frame layout. Also consider the Vulcan's weight limit. Kawasaki did make a "Tour Pack" for the Vulcan 750 once, but the price for all the parts was like over $2500, and my guess it weighed so much that there was not enough load carrying capacity left for a single large person.

If you want a real dresser, that doesn't break the bank, then look for an '80-'87 Goldwing. I have seen several converted to "baggers", with whitewall tires, cut down windshield, removal of the fairing lowers and rear trunk. A solid color paint job, and you have to look twice to make sure it is not one of those machines from Milwaukee. Those old GW engines have been known to go past 300,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Ah, seems like Harley was innovative way back then. A hinged fender. Interesting. To bad they never put centerstands on their old bikes (or new ones) with tube type tires to make it possible to fix a flat beside the road. People crossed the country on old Knuckleheads and Panheads, Indians, etc. with tube type tires and no centerstands, and I know they had flats. I have never found out how they dealt with them.

Back in the late '90s, there was a company called Hard Krome, or something like that, that made steel Indian type fenders for various Japanese cruisers, I was just looking through my collection of Motorcycle Cruiser magazines and found the ads.

I have an '85 1200 Goldwing, and the front fender is nothing like an Indian fender. It has a little bit more coverage, but I don't think it's the look your after.

IMO, the Vulcan 750 would not make a good dresser, the overall look is wrong. A dresser needs a much smaller diameter front wheel, much wider front tire, lower bars, and more importantly, a different frame layout. Also consider the Vulcan's weight limit. Kawasaki did make a "Tour Pack" for the Vulcan 750 once, but the price for all the parts was like over $2500, and my guess it weighed so much that there was not enough load carrying capacity left for a single large person.

If you want a real dresser, that doesn't break the bank, then look for an '80-'87 Goldwing. I have seen several converted to "baggers", with whitewall tires, cut down windshield, removal of the fairing lowers and rear trunk. A solid color paint job, and you have to look twice to make sure it is not one of those machines from Milwaukee. Those old GW engines have been known to go past 300,000 miles.
earlier pans and knuckles did have a stand that flipped down from the rear of the frame and lifted the rear wheel off the ground,you were kinda on your own on the front,but back then with the tube type you could break one side of the tire down and repair a tube without removing the whole wheel and every body doing any traveling in those days via two wheels usually carried a bicycle pump and tube patching.Back in the earlier days breakdowns were the norm and you learned to be pretty self sufficient.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love the feed back the waight hadn't crossed my mined also the goldwing ideathat they would pull of the look better I had never even consiterd. I do have a buddy at work who's got two gl1100 for sale an80 and81 for 1500 bucks for the pair I might look in to those as a project bike but if any one here is an old goldwing fan ill point you in there direction cause the 750 will be my first bike hopefully in the next few days

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I quickly became an old Goldwing fan when I got my '85 about a year ago. It was given to me in non running condition. I spent all last summer rebuilding everything but the engine itself, which was fine. I have put several thousand trouble free miles on it since then. I belong to FIVE Goldwing forums, all of them very good, with lots of people willing to help you. Even had one local member GIVE me a rear wheel when mine turned out to be trashed due to being run with a bad bearing. There is probably more support for Goldwings than all other Japanese bikes combined. Lots of parts are no longer available new, but between eBay and lots of places that sell reproduction and used parts, it's unlikely a needed part won't turn up soon.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Then let me ask you would it be worth the 1500 fo both goldwings one needs carb work the othe the same probably but also all the plastics are off the bike I've seen both but new to the hole motorcycle thing I'm suppose to be getting the 750 from my dad for cheap is y I'm hear to learn about it open to all bike though

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
A dresser needs a much smaller diameter front wheel, much wider front tire, lower bars, and more importantly, a different frame layout.
Depends on your definition of "dresser". Back in my day, a dresser was basically anything with a windshield and bags. What nowadays are called "baggers" we also called "dressers". What are nowadays called "bobbers", were the original "choppers". Extended front ends didnt happen until them Calif custom guys got bored of tweaking cars (thank you Arlen Ness). And a bike can be whatever one wants to make it. There are no rules or standards unless you enter competition. For example, my buddy took his 73 Police Special, stripped all but the rear bags, extended the front end and modded the wheels. He rides from NY to Daytona every year. But "what is it ?"....answer: who cares, as long as it makes him happy. Ultimately, thats all that matters.
As for changing tube tires on the old bikes, as Denny had mentioned, only the tubes were repaired. Often it was done on the side of the road on a grass embankment. Just lay the bike down a little. Ive even gone to the point of filling my tire once with sod, then riding to the next town for a proper repair (40 miles @ 30mph). Ya did whatever ya had to do. I still do....my Vulcan's throttle pull cable broke about 12 miles from home last year...I just swapped with the push cable and switched em inside the twist grip. Only tool needed was a phillips....cheaper than a tow, methinks.... ;)

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A classic to me the full fenders mabey a windshield whitewalls springers seat and a pair of throw over saddle bags with the traditional two tone paint the bobber on the other hand I beleave should have the old school springer front ends and seat I like the curvse and the mechanics of it all like the curvs of a classic car or of a beautiful women something you can't take your eyes off of

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I saw a Vulcan with stock size tires (mebbe one size larger on front) and they were whitewalls. With that, the tires looked a lot beefier than the regular black, and skirted fenders. Had an old style big solo seat on it with fringes and conchos, as did the bags. Poor man's dresser I suppose. Looked sweet though, and w/o all the extra weight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts