Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone shed some light on what the fattest (widest) tire that will physically fit on a VN750 is? I don't even own one yet, but I'm planning on a few "tasteful mods."

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I use a 150/90-15 on mine & I don't think you'll be able to go any wider because it is pretty close to the swingarm, especially on the right hand side. Any wider & I think you'll rub the tyre against it. Not sure why you'd want to go any wider, I find the 150 section plenty enough for this bike.
All the best,
Ernie

PS Like the sound of your vehicle collection! I drove an '88 Bronco for a while & loved it! Crazy gas prices here made it an expensive option in the end though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was merely curious about how fat would fit. I'm a big fan of the way these motorcycles look.

Fortunately, I don't drive very often. I live in downtown Vancouver and I normally either walk or ride my bicycle to/fro my office. Gas is majorly expensive around here, as is insurance, so I everything's registered for pleasure use only. Saves a bit of dough!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have gotten comments from other bikers about how fat the stock back tire is on the bike. I also think they stuck on about the fattest they could fit, there doesn't appear to be any extra room.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Shaker666 said:
Can anyone shed some light on what the fattest (widest) tire that will physically fit on a VN750 is? I don't even own one yet, but I'm planning on a few "tasteful mods."
You might be able to squeeze a 160mm in the rear, but I doubt it. The rim is made to take a 150mm, and the clearance to the swingarm/FD would be CLOSE.
The front can take a 110/90...no wider or taller than that, IMO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Phat tire

I put a 170 on the back of my vn750 last year with no problems. I ride it every day. I kept the front the same.:motorcycl

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
hummm 170's? does that come in an 880 size?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see how a 170 would fit. I just replaced mine with a Dunlop 404 150/90-15. BTW, I really suck at riding this bike. I need A LOT of practice.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
I dont see either, but i am curious..... anyone else with the 170's???? dont wanna order it and stuck with it as they are non returnable

·
Registered
87 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the 170's that we can see?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fattist tire

What type of heads up are you looking for. You have 2 members above who are using a 170 in the back without any problems.:BLAM:

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
b/c different brands may fit different.......look at how close ur 150 already is....

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
For SHAKER666's above posting...

Here is a great practice site:

www.ridelikeapro.com

Checkout the Practice text, you may not have to by the video,
I find the text on the site to be excellent training. Teaches Friction
Zone, draging rear brake, and just a little throttle at slow speeds,
around cones.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
still curious

for those of you who had put the 170 back there, about how close is it to the swing arm? i am really getting close to having to order new tires (with in the next month) and really dont wanna find out after i get them that the 170 fits no problem. I am looking at the 170/80 r15 & 110/90 (not sure rim size) in the ME880. any help please?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hiii...

Hope you guys here can reconfirm again about this matter ...

Can our VN750 wear those 170/80/15 tyres???IMO and from what I saw myself, the standard 150/90/15 is the widest we can go...wider than that, it will touch the rear swing arm...

Cheers...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Hiii...Can our VN750 wear those 170/80/15 tyres???IMO and from what I saw myself, the standard 150/90/15 is the widest we can go...wider than that, it will touch the rear swing arm...

Cheers...
Well, both these guys above said they've been running the 170 ......

my front is 110/90, rear 170/80 Continental Milestone. 2 years with no problem, but looks much better.
I put a 170 on the back of my vn750 last year with no problems. I ride it every day. I kept the front the same.:motorcycl
This is from Artman, posted a little over a month ago (before that darned nail found the tire !! :doh: )...

I just installed a Dunlop K555 170/80/15 on the rear and it fits perfectly.
The ride is a little different but does add some more responsiveness.

And one member posted this, although different tire manufacturers sizes could be slightly different....

....the diameters of the 170/80 and 150/90 are only 2mm different. The sidewall of the 170 is 136mm and the sidewall of the 150 is 135....
(but no mention of width difference)

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I run a 170/80 Dunlop for my rear tire. You might want to steer away from any tire with a well defined ridge on the tread edge but that was the only concern. this shouldn't be a problem with most motorcycle tires though.
Several of the members on the yahoo group run 170/80s. You do get lower rpms at speed, by about 500. 4500 vs 5000 rpm at 70mph.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Hyper,
I had the new tire patched, so we're back in business. I also agree with Diana on the rpm thing. After riding this tire for awhile you get to know the subtle differences but they are all good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts