Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Time for some new rubber, any sugg. I want to go as wide as possible on the back. I've read on here that some have used 160' and even 170's. Any info would be great. If you have a 160 or 170 what brand and do you have any clearence problems-swing arm etc. THANKS:rockon:

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Now you realize that the fatter the tire is, the more trouble you'll have driving in snow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cegodsey said:
Now you realize that the fatter the tire is, the more trouble you'll have driving in snow.
Snow doesn't scare me b/c i don't drive in it, on two wheels anyway!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
HERE'S a previous post on this.
It would seem some have gone with the 170/80 Continental Milestone with no problems.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
when its time for next tire i will got with the metz 170/80

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I just ordered the Dunlop 404 170/80 for my bike/ $86 shipping included.
I've been happy with the Dunlops, though admittedly I don't have to worry about the gripping on the cornering with my sidecar.
We run Dunlops on the wings too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
170's on the rear?!

Dianna said:
I just ordered the Dunlop 404 170/80 for my bike/ $86 shipping included.
I've been happy with the Dunlops, though admittedly I don't have to worry about the gripping on the cornering with my sidecar.
We run Dunlops on the wings too.
So you got dunlop 170/80 rear? Have you put it on yet. PLEASE le me know of the tire fits and rides. I do want to use a 160 or 170 but dont want any problems either. Anyone else got 160 or 170's, if so what brand and size and how do they fit.
Thanks

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
i think there is someone on the yahoo forum that has a 170/80 in a dunlop....

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
tires

I just installed a Dunlop K555 170/80/15 on the rear and it fits perfectly.
The ride is a little different but does add some more responsiveness.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Sixteen days on the new 170/80/15..................Guess What

That's right!!!!!!! picked up a bloody nail.........Man does that suck !!!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Sixteen days on the new 170/80/15..................Guess What

That's right!!!!!!! picked up a bloody nail.........Man does that suck !!!

Agreed, that does suck.

You said the ride is a little different, how you verbalize how?

I'd love to have an almost inch wider tire back there.

Jon

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
It's not as quick as the more narrow tire, in swerve type manuevers but offers more traction. Feels like more stability also.

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Ouch! Man that really burns when that happens. I had a similar nail in new tire experience. Talk about a waste.

Yeah Fergy, it works out to about $200 and that ain't easy to come by these days. I think I'm going to try an interior patch and an inner tube to salvage the tire. I believe it should be ok then.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Ouch! Man that really burns when that happens. I had a similar nail in new tire experience. Talk about a waste.

Yeah Fergy, it works out to about $200 and that ain't easy to come by these days. I think I'm going to try an interior patch and an inner tube to salvage the tire. I believe it should be ok then.
I would think that a pull through patch from the inside should do it without the tube.

Jon

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
you can plug motorcycle tires, no more then i think 4 plugs, 1 per quarter...

·
Registered
306 Posts
you can plug motorcycle tires, no more then i think 4 plugs, 1 per quarter...

Yes you can plug a tire but why would you do that? With in reality only an 4 inches in the rear and 3 in the front in contact with the road why would you risk a high speed blow out on a 5 buck patch. You would not patch a hole in a condom why risk a patch on a tire.

I picked up a nasty hole in my brand new 100.00 tire (cheep by most brands). It had a 1/4 inch tear in the center if the tread. Now when i filled the tire up to find it i could see the tear expand as i put more air in it. This is the hardest part of a motorcycle tire and it looked like it could rip from side wall to side wall.

All i am saying is is your life worth a patch?:motorcycl

·
fuzz
138 Posts
i run kenda's on my bike 110/90 front 170/80 rear no rub not even close , the bike handles better , and runs smoother , i think i get better gas miledge too ,
it does turn slower though , i can't just drop in like i did with the 150/90 rear tire that came stock

Ok. Time for some new rubber, any sugg. I want to go as wide as possible on the back. I've read on here that some have used 160' and even 170's. Any info would be great. If you have a 160 or 170 what brand and do you have any clearence problems-swing arm etc. THANKS:rockon:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts