Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 05 vn750. Looks show room fresh even with 9k miles. Ran rough so cleaned carbs. Runs strong and smooth til it reaches normal operating temp then will not idle less than 2k. Just received new intake hoses. Old ones look good but when I gave them a shot of starting fluid rpms jumped up when front cyl hose was sprayed. Before pulling carbs thought I would check to get anyone elses thoughts. I know not to use starter fluid but I was out of WD40 and a friend stood by with a big co2 bottle.
Thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Are the hose clamps tight? Idle adjustment (black knob on left carb) set to 1,000-1,100 RPM after bike warms up?

·
Registered
796 Posts
X2 on the idle adjustment.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Same here do the idle adjustment with the black knob on left side of engine. All these bikes do the same thing every time after they are started. I have to turn mine down a little at a time after start. Then before start have to turn knob clockwise before I start it to keep the RPM's up until it is completely warmed up.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Same here do the idle adjustment with the black knob on left side of engine. All these bikes do the same thing every time after they are started. I have to turn mine down a little at a time after start. Then before start have to turn knob clockwise before I start it to keep the RPM's up until it is completely warmed up.
You shouldn't have to mess with the idle adjustment after it is set (at running temp 1 to 1100 rpms). Using the choke works the best. As the bike warms and smooths out open the choke a little more until you are at temp and fully opened choke.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

After a couple of rides to bring temp up to normal, tightening front hose and adjusting idle as suggested the bike runs great. Can not believe this kind of power from a 750. Nice to have a positive suprise after buying "a pig in a poke". Thanks for all the help.
ande437

·
Registered
796 Posts
Glad you got it straightened out. Seeing it is an 05' it had to be something simple. Unless rode hard and never taken care of (maintained) or repaired by someone less qualified, these bikes usually last quite a few years before giving head aches.

I saved my 01' with under 7K from a guys lawn for $450 after watching it set in the same spot for 2 summers (only moved to mow) and got it before too many issues from being left out in the elements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts