Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my bike for over an hour tonight and when we got home the fan continued to run. It is still running 30 minutes later. What's up with that?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I had the engine off and the key in the house for 30 minutes when we went back out there to check it. I finally had to disconnect the battery and hook it back up. The engine was cold at this point that we disconnected the battery. Thinking maybe the sensor is stuck.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
probably the relay is sticking if it happens again give your junction box a good whack and see if that stops it also there is no need to unhook the battery just look down on the bottom left side of the radiator and unhook that wire it will break the ground to the fan and turn it off without having to pull the seat

if the fan stays on with that wire unplugged then you have a short to ground in that wire somewhere

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Did you turn the key to off?
irrelevant the fan will stay on after the key is off if need be but should not run more than 30 seconds or so just long enough to cool the coolant in the radiator then heat will disperse from the coolant in the block into the radiator enough that the engine will not suffer

·
Competent Noob
140 Posts
irrelevant the fan will stay on after the key is off if need be but should not run more than 30 seconds or so just long enough to cool the coolant in the radiator then heat will disperse from the coolant in the block into the radiator enough that the engine will not suffer
It is certainly not irrelevant. Now you are simply trolling me. Time to stop.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Now I know both of ya got of to a bad start.that happens. Now let's just shake hands and start over.we don't always agree with each other but that's what makes us human.learn from each other,as you both have knowledge to give.not everyone will agree with what you say in life,but they will still hear you and make you think

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
since you continue to antagonize me and will not answer a polite question i will give you my reasons as to why the key position is not relevant

on a vn750 the cooling fan has a constant power supply this means no matter if the key is in the on, off, or lock position or if it is hanging on a hook 50 feet away the fan still has power supplied to it
and on the bottom or the radiator there is a thermal ground switch that is normally open when the coolant is hot enough to close the switch it provides a ground to the cooling fan relay thus turning it on and the fan will not turn off no matter where the key is positioned until that switch is cool enough to re open the circuit

now would you like to debate this or take it as fact DP

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
since you continue to antagonize me and will not answer a polite question i will give you my reasons as to why the key position is not relevant

on a vn750 the cooling fan has a constant power supply this means no matter if the key is in the on, off, or lock position or if it is hanging on a hook 50 feet away the fan still has power supplied to it
and on the bottom or the radiator there is a thermal ground switch that is normally open when the coolant is hot enough to close the switch it provides a ground to the cooling fan relay thus turning it on and the fan will not turn off no matter where the key is positioned until that switch is cool enough to re open the circuit

Can you explain why every single time last year, while my fan was ON, bike RUNNING, when I would turn the key Off, the fan would turn off?

Because my experience directly contradicts your statement

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok back to the question at hand. My fan keeps running or at least it did. If it continued to do this I am going to put a momentary normally closed button that will ground when pushed. Then I can later get a new junction/fuse block as I already have issues with other places on that part.

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Can you explain why every single time last year, while my fan was ON, bike RUNNING, when I would turn the key Off, the fan would turn off?

Because my experience directly contradicts your statement
The factory junction box can do weird things.

The way NR described it, is the way it is designed to work. Mine stays on after hot shutdown, until the radiator cools some. Usually not more than 30 sec. but sometimes it will kick on again if it's a really hot day.

If your garage caught fire, the fan would kick on once things got hot enough, assuming the wiring didn't burn first.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Mine kicks on with the switch off too

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
yup, same here too. mine comes on many times right at shutdown for a few seconds (less than a min). and down here in steamy SW floriduh, thats quite often in summer.

just a side note, and nothing to do with this issue: have any of you gone out and started your bike after a long sit (fully cooled).. looked at temp gauge, and it wasnt all the way to the left (cold). I get that here in the afternoon. after work, the ambient temp in the low 90's, and of course add in sun soak, and my bike is sometimes already warming up! LOL

·
Competent Noob
140 Posts

Thanks for the explanation. I am not sure I will take it as fact, since two other people in this thread are not experiencing that.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
That is the way it is designed to work.

My money is on either a funky jb or the temp switch in the rad.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Well i have a toggle switch on my fan now, and I control it manually by thumb next to the throttle. I use it only when I need to, which isn't often

1 - 20 of 41 Posts