Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished rebuilding engine and during test ride the cooling fan did not come on. Troubleshot it to the fan switch; if I make the ground on the wire, the fan comes on.

My question is what are the odds it's really the fan switch? $70 for a new switch. I don't want to drop that kind of money on a part and not have it fix the problem (Wife is already reminding me how much rebuilding that engine cost...)

I could rig up a toggle switch, but then I'd have to rely on me to remember to turn it on. Disaster waiting to happen, there.

System looks kind of simple, but hoping I'm overlooking something...

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
If you pulled the wire off the thermo switch and ran it to ground, and the fan runs....then you may want to test the thermostat.... The switch should be conductive at around 200 deg. F, once it drops below that it goes to inf. resistance. you can try to test it on the stove in a pot of water.....like for a car thermostat....except I'm not sure how your going to rig it so the switch is dangling in the water while you take ohm measurements.....without burning yourself :)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
If you pulled the wire off the thermo switch and ran it to ground, and the fan runs....then you may want to test the thermostat.... The switch should be conductive at around 200 deg. F, once it drops below that it goes to inf. resistance. you can try to test it on the stove in a pot of water.....like for a car thermostat....except I'm not sure how your going to rig it so the switch is dangling in the water while you take ohm measurements.....without burning yourself :)
Dangle the switch from a string supported by a stick resting on the pots edges.
Use some alligator clips to attach the test wires.
Directions in Clymer manual, and probably the online manual at TOC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoss, how do I find this online manual? Seen it referred to a few times in the forum, but haven't been able to find it.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
put "free manual" in the search bar.

Or just click here :smiley_th

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. It IS the switch. Spent $1.58 on a toggle switch so I can at least ride while I figure out where to get the cheapest switch. Put 35 miles on it today, running great. I appreciate all the help with the rebuild, you guys rock!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts