Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. You can see in the projects section what I've been doing to Allie. I have no coolant in and very little oil due to the Tuxedo mod (waiting for rtv to cure to oil it)

Went to turn it over once or twice just to make sure everything clears everything, and when I turned the key to 'on' the fan came on immediately.

Any idea why? Is it because the coolant system is drained? I would imagine it's electrical but I wouldn't be surprised if it's because I have no coolant.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
oil pressure light on without engine runnign?

I am going from memory here, but I think the temp sender and the oil pressure sender wires could be swapped out (I think they are close enough together)

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
If the fan lead is grounded, the fan runs.

Oil sender wire bolts on, fan wire is a spade connector. But there may be bullet connectors on up the line.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
thats why I was thinking maybe they got swapped

on a second thought, pinched wire? when I bought my 2005, the dealer had to find a pinched wire on the oil sending unit before I would accept delivery.

·
Registered
7,926 Posts
I think the bullets are reversed, so it's hard to mix them up. Just from memory though.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind this wasn't happening before the stator mod.

I did the blue wire bypass so maybe I scru'd something there?

Also haven't hooked up the stator yet.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, could I have fried something welding on the bike? Fuses are all fine. Oil light doesn't come on when ignition is turned to the on position..... But like I said, I've started and rode this bike and this didn't happen so I didn't switch wires up since then.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
basically, at room temp, the switch is open (infinite resistance), around 200 deg F it shorts (0 ohm resistance), and upon cooling to 195 it opens up again.

those numbers are taken from my service manual, section 15 page 41. have you gotten one yet?

there is a relay in the Junction box that actually switches power to the fan (the fan switch on radiator is only controlling the relay)

simple check of the switch in your situation, disconnect the wire from it, fan should NOT turn on

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it. Sorry for not looking - I should have known better.

Can't pull the switch without draining the coolant though, right? Darn

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
you can tell quickly if the switch is shorted at room temp (bad) by pulling the wire. if the fan dont run when you turn ign on, the switch is shot.

you can test the cold resistance with it in place, the casing of the switch is grounded thru the radiator and frame, just check between casing and terminal when cold (should be an open circuit)

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also should be noted that the temp gauge works. I rode around the farm for a bit and got the temp gauge up to the second line (20-25%)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts