Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Know-It-All White-Trash
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you can read my diary of this bike i got at a steal.

battery was dead and sat up from Dec until i bought it in June.

i tested for a draw, but only 15min after i killed the engine on a cool day.

rode it for some local errands and decided the stator was fine.

18hrs after i rode it, i was packing a bag and bungees when I heard the fan cut on.

i only tried once to give it a complimentary start.

the battery is now on the trickle charger and i am unemployed on an imaginary budget.

1) i can not afford parts currently, but cant i ride it and pull the main fuse when i get off?

when i can afford to get parts, i am thinking:

2) it came on and turned off with the Texas heat.

3) it was running on that way for 18hrs killing my battery.

4) Should i replace the fan sensor?

5) should i bypass the fuse-box and run the fan off the battery with an inline 30A fuse and a 20/85/86/87 relay from the auto store?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
That fan turning on is most likely a burnt out relay like I had. My fan kicked on and my motor tried to start haha. Friggen weird. PM KC on here or new rider. They can rebuild your junction box for a price and in the meantime check all your ground and make sure they're clean and tight. Good luck man. I'm also broke on an imaginary budget

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I do not know and would have to check, but I think the coolant temperature senor furnishes ground. I believe it to be a one wire sensor.

If this is the case, unplug the sensor and see if the fan still runs.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I do not know and would have to check, but I think the coolant temperature senor furnishes ground. I believe it to be a one wire sensor.

If this is the case, unplug the sensor and see if the fan still runs.
yes...you are correct. shorting the lead to ground sends a signal to the Junction box that kicks a relay on...thus the fan runs.

When I pulled the JB from Nitrospaz's bike it was damaged internally, but the relays were working. It sounds to me like a possible short circuit heating up the board in the JB, which in turn causes the relays to make contact due to heating internally and warping.

We did not find a wiring issue on his bike, so we can only assume that the JB internally bridged traces with debris and was heating up the board due to a short. The strange thing was that we also did not see a load on the battery (current draw) and the key was off at the time. the relays chattered and then the fan kicked on....the starter also tried to engage.

If the plasic on the back of the JB is starting to melt or disfigure due to heat....you definately have some wiring to check. It also could be that teh JB itself is faulty.

Unfortunately, the burnt traces on the JB make it so that I will not rebuild it...it is trash. You may need to replace yours.....but first pull and REPLACE all fuses even if they look and test out to be OK...you may get lucky.

Good luck!!

·
Know-It-All White-Trash
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.

i will:

1) check the temp sensor clean it.

2) unplug the sensor and see if the fan still runs

3)Boil test it?

4) inspect and clean the back of the JB

5) Unplug my main fuse each time i park it until i can afford to order either a new relay or Temp sensor replace

6) ever since Ebay come out im not to fond of rebuilding a $50 JB so i will wait for financial progress.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i charge 40 to rebuild them but i put in heavier relays that are more reliable and i can fix the board if it is damaged too

·
Know-It-All White-Trash
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a sensor headed this way from Ebay. ive been unplugging the sensor when i get off of it hoping i do not run off without plugging it back in.

Just named him "Spock" originally. The sudden braking and downshifting in aggressive DFW traffic gives new meaning to the "Vulcan Pinch" (*pucker*)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
oh fyi im in riding distance for you you should come out and see me just give me a call and i will tell you how to get here im about 20 miles north of sam rayburn (121) on preston road (289)

·
Know-It-All White-Trash
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i may take you up on that even if the sensor replace works.

i am a commuter. (all season rider without a secondary vehicle)

What kind of time frame would it take?

How long would i be parked?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i may take you up on that even if the sensor replace works.

i am a commuter. (all season rider without a secondary vehicle)

What kind of time frame would it take?

How long would i be parked?
im in the same boat i ride everywhere my van has bad stickers so its just yard art right now

id say if you rode straight thru you are looking at an hour and a half tops to get here and if i have the relays and solder here already i can do the job in less than an hour which would give us plenty of time to ride out to the american legion in pilot point for a cold one and a game of pool or two
hell if you come out i wont even charge you for the repairs just cause i get to meet a new texas vn750 rider :beerchug:

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
you can read my diary of this bike i got at a steal.

battery was dead and sat up from Dec until i bought it in June.

i tested for a draw, but only 15min after i killed the engine on a cool day.

rode it for some local errands and decided the stator was fine.

18hrs after i rode it, i was packing a bag and bungees when I heard the fan cut on.

i only tried once to give it a complimentary start.

the battery is now on the trickle charger and i am unemployed on an imaginary budget.

1) i can not afford parts currently, but cant i ride it and pull the main fuse when i get off?

when i can afford to get parts, i am thinking:

2) it came on and turned off with the Texas heat.

3) it was running on that way for 18hrs killing my battery.

4) Should i replace the fan sensor?

5) should i bypass the fuse-box and run the fan off the battery with an inline 30A fuse and a 20/85/86/87 relay from the auto store?

This doesn't rhyme at all. Stick with Iambic pentameter my friend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts