Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on my bike as much as possible.This is my favorite time of year for riding ,cool temps and beautiful scenery abounds.

The flip side of this is road condition and animal activity.Ge very careful from now till the leaves are all off of the trees.The leaves are starting to fall and when you add a little moisture they are slick as glass.When you are out on your favorite back roads enjoying the Fall foliage,be careful.Ad to the leaves the walnuts ,acorns and other mast from the nut bearing trees and it can get exciting...real quick.have you ever been leaned over in a turn and hit some thing round about golf ball sized with your front wheel,that is how walnuts feel when you run over one.Time to slow down a little and expect hidden dangers.

Now on to the animals,deer are always on a bikers mind but this time of the year they are not nearly as nocturnal as during the summer months. Fall is ,looking for love time for deer,commonly referred to as the rut. The bucks are chasing does and pay little or no attention to anything else and will chase a doe right out in front of you and if you are fortunate to miss her be careful,a buck very well may be in hot pursuit and actually run into you. Definitely not a desirable situation, Squirrels,crazy little critters,they are busy carrying nuts and burying them or storing them for winter. If you have ever hit one ,you know they are squishy greasy little critters and totally unpredictable as well. I believe some have a death wish and want to make someone else out with them.Wild Turkeys,here is one that will avoid you if it can but at this time of the year they gather up into their flocks for the winter and if you see one crossing the road look around ,there are more,Do I need to tell you what happens when you hit a close to 20 pound bird? I also forgot to mention Elk and Moose for those of you have those native to your area.They are huge and will stop a small car,you don't want to hit one

This is a great time of the year to be out riding,but it pays to stay on your toes even more than usual.I will do my part to try to shoot as many of these little bags of fast food that we have in my neck of the woods,but I am just one guy and I won't make a dent in the population.

Have a great Fall season and be careful out there.:motorcycl

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Always a good reminder. Even though I live in the suburbs we still have an extensive park system by my house. There are all kinds of nice roads in there to ride but there are also deer, opossum, raccoons, and even coyotes in there. They sometimes venture up and across main roads in the mornings and evenings. I'm always on the lookout for those buggers.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Denny, love the "little bags of fast food" description. Personally I call the armadillos and possums "speed bumps"

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
I actually "aim" for certain critters.....fresh roadkill kicks azz....

....we got a lot of black walnut trees in NY/NJ/PA....theyre killers....hard as a rock, and a bit larger than a golf ball....PITA !

·
Registered
856 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Denny.

I may be a city boy, but we are surrounded by parks and heavily wooded areas all over the place here. It's not uncommon to see deer and smaller around here. I am glad that there are no elk and moose around these parts though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had to come to a complete stop earlier this week as a flock of turkeys crossed the road. Little buggers were in no big hurry and I could of kicked any one of them square in the head. They finally cleared the road and I got on my way, just a little happier than I was a few minutes before.

If I ever see a moose on one of my rides, I am pulling over right away, laying down in the grass and waiting till I awake from my dream before riding on!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Denny!

Been seeing a lot of deer and skunk lately....squirrels are always abundant here.

There is a moose in my neighborhood, but luckily for me she walks to work after I am already out of the area. :loser1::doh:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts

·
Bearcat
135 Posts
I second that! I came around the corner a few weeks ago and 2 does we're standing on the side of the road. One hit the woods and the outher took off running up the road in front of me. I slowed way down and got over. About the time I started to go around her she turned into the bike. I guess the deer freaked out and tryed to go the outher way right after it turned tword me. I watched her go down on the black top in my right mirror. Deer was fine. She got up and made a beeline for the woods.

Last year I had another close call I was rolling 70 on a 2 lane highway right after the edge of dark. No lights in sight from any outher people on the road. Had my high beams and fog lights on when I saw her. A big doe standing in the left lane. She crossed right in front of me. I locked the front tire as that was the only brake I could get to in time. I kept her straight and upright. Got slowed down just enuf, the doe was standing in the right tire track of my lane and I passed her in the left track at 60 ish.

Eather time could have ended badly but if I had been in a cage I would have creamed both deer. More than once rolling 2 wheels has saved my bacon. Moral of the story, stay alert.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Im surprised nobody mentioned leaves....especially on the back roads, where car traffic dont blow em off.....wet leaves are as bad as ice....but even dry leaves, when freshly fallen, can be slick as hell....I almost lost a buddy once on an autumn ride....Norton 750....well, he made it after a trip into the woods and cartwheels, lol....but then lost it in the jungles of The Nam....RIP "D"....every time I go around that curve I say a prayer....

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
well the grey windshield is no longer on the bike thanks to some knucklehead who decided he didnt have to tarp stuff down in the back of a truck. shield took the brunt of the hit from a cedar shingle. its trashed but the bike is ok, no damage. it happened so quick but i managed to get a plate number and will deal with that in the morning.
just look out...the crazies are out there

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....Me, KC and Merc took a lil ride today....damned touriste everywhere....leaf peepers they call em...come up from the city....then on the other side of the mountain from me, we got a ton of apple orchards, and they all come up "apple pickin"....yuppies.....well, today, almost back to Merc's, a blue haired old man and his blue haired wife almost took me out.....I was watchin em sittin at the stop sign, sayin to myself...will he or wont he....last second, the muthapussbucket pulls out and almost t-bones me, but I was watchin him already, and hit the brakes in time....laid on the horn behind him, then as he panicked and pulled into a parking lot, I pulled up by his window and cursed the livin snot outta him......frickin tourists....worse than the deer around here next month or so...."apple pickers"....yeah, Id like to sit up in the woods and pick THEM off....30mph in 45's, no signals, and sheit like I described...biggest hazzard in my area are NYC tourists "coming to the country", lol....fook em all...blow the bridges....keep em on THAT side of the river, lol....

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I had to come to a complete stop earlier this week as a flock of turkeys crossed the road. Little buggers were in no big hurry and I could of kicked any one of them square in the head. They finally cleared the road and I got on my way, just a little happier than I was a few minutes before.

If I ever see a moose on one of my rides, I am pulling over right away, laying down in the grass and waiting till I awake from my dream before riding on!
It's a rafter or gang of turkeys. Here in the South Carolina they carry blades, nasty suckers. Thanks for the advice, leaves I see will be an issue. We have some serious trees and the leaves are as big as cats.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Came very close to colliding with a large fox this morning. I watched it run accross the road in front of me, left to right. As it cleared the road to my right I got back on the gas....but I guess the critter found that side of the road not to be of his liking as he did a U turn and came back accross towards where he started.
All I could do was alter my course some, but the lucky guy made it back.

1/2 a mile up was a deer that wasn't so lucky.

On Saturday we were in town and watched two good sized bucks run accross a major road full of traffc. This was a heavily populated area with no parks that I know of.
My guess is they were going to hide in the basement of the church they ran towards until deer season ends.;)

We were amazed that with four lanes of traffic they got through with out even contacting a car.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
....Me, KC and Merc took a lil ride today........
hmmmm......when I was heading to Merc's place and turned the corner coming face to face with a couple of hundred pounds of momma black bear and her cubs in the road in front of me...I nearly soiled my shorts....lol

Then when we left hours later...there she was peeping out the tall grass on the side of the road....watched Merc pass as he was leading and was pointing wildly at her to clue us in to her presence ....then she acted like she was going to lunge at him....untill I distracted her with my horn.

I'll take the tourists...they are mor predictable :doh:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
You just aint as used to the bears as we are here KC....theyre real common...morte in Jersey, since the dopes banned bear hunting (oh my ! Poor Yogi !!!)....lol....I see a bear on Jersey Ave or on Lakes Road to Monroe weekly....they walk right up my street in the spring, lol....but yer right...gotta watch the ones with cubs.....much like soccer moms in suvs....

If it wouldda came at you or Kenny....I'dda downshifted and rammed the bitch.... *weg*....I love bear stew...

Came very close to colliding with a large fox this morning
...trapper buddy of mine used to say : "Red or gray....both will pay"..... ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hit a spot in a slight curve going up a steep road and swapped lanes in a hurry. Kinda like "what the fu.."! Went back to look,,,,, Persimmons all over the road that had been ran over by car. Slick as Vaseline! Watch for fruit bearing trees grown over roadways.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...persimmons...aint that some kinda Middle Eastern thing like figs ?.....hmmmmm

You folks in farm areas watch out too....around here, farmers are ready to turn some manure into their fields...they run the spreaders down the road, and well, sometimes...sheit happens.....thats some slick stuff....see post for similarities :
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40521

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
...persimmons...aint that some kinda Middle Eastern thing like figs ?.....hmmmmm
I don't know about middle east,but they are pretty common around here.The sourest fruit known to man ,until it frosts once. Deer ,possums and all kinds of animals love 'em, sour or not.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts