Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check your shift lever.

I just about left mine on the road.

I thought I just checked it not long ago, but time goes on.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Check your shift lever.

I just about left mine on the road.

I thought I just checked it not long ago, but time goes on.
Something vibrate loose on a Metric Bike? As we say down here "get outta here";)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Loctite threadlocker is not just a Harley riders best friend! :smiley_th

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I missed 4th to 5th a couple times, but it was the little guy skipping teeth.
I may just JB Weld the thing on there (not really)

·
Ba dum dum, ching...
542 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
I thought the general rule was parts stay on, accessories fall off.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I thought the shifter on the Vulcan has a grooved spline, meaning the only way it would fall off is if the bolt completely fell out.

But yeah, you need to check them bolts and nuts every now and then before taking off.

Was out with some other riders once and one guy said his front wheel felt wobbly going through turns. I walked up to his bike and removed his from axle nut....with my fingers.

Check those, and all the other fasteners at least once a month.

KM

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the shifter on the Vulcan has a grooved spline, meaning the only way it would fall off is if the bolt completely fell out.

But yeah, you need to check them bolts and nuts every now and then before taking off.

Was out with some other riders once and one guy said his front wheel felt wobbly going through turns. I walked up to his bike and removed his from axle nut....with my fingers.

Check those, and all the other fasteners at least once a month.

KM
Mine is just a pinch fitting.
It wasn't even that loose, but was sure ready to wiggle off.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
Mine is just a pinch fitting.
It wasn't even that loose, but was sure ready to wiggle off.
Sorry man, will not happen.... I just went out and looked at the shifter on my project bike.

The only way the shifter can fall off is if the bolt falls completely out.

The shaft does indeed have a double spline...meaning the splined shaft has a groove cut around the middle of it dividing the splined section in half. The bolt that passes through the lever fits inside that groove, so as loose as the lever might get , it can not fall off unless the bolt is removed.

Go and loosen your bolt and you will see exactly what I mean....pull the bolt and you should see the groove inbetween the spline.

To my knowledge, every bike I have owned has worked this way, the Vulcan being no exception.

If you can pull your lever off by just loosening the bolt on the shift lever, your bike has been altered or damage somehow to allow this.

KM

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry man, will not happen.... I just went out and looked at the shifter on my project bike.

The only way the shifter can fall off is if the bolt falls completely out.

The shaft does indeed have a double spline...meaning the splined shaft has a groove cut around the middle of it dividing the splined section in half. The bolt that passes through the lever fits inside that groove, so as loose as the lever might get , it can not fall off unless the bolt is removed.

Go and loosen your bolt and you will see exactly what I mean....pull the bolt and you should see the groove inbetween the spline.

To my knowledge, every bike I have owned has worked this way, the Vulcan being no exception.

If you can pull your lever off by just loosening the bolt on the shift lever, your bike has been altered or damage somehow to allow this.

KM
OK- it will never fall off.

Sorry everyone for the unnecessary reminder

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Hey dude, if all you did was remind peeps to check their bikes thoroughly every so often, it was worth it. Rock on brother! :rockon:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey dude, if all you did was remind peeps to check their bikes thoroughly every so often, it was worth it. Rock on brother! :rockon:
I'll probably think twice about it next time.

I hate to send someone to the garage to disprove my posts.

Especially when they then feel the need to use bolding. Yikes.

·
Registered
802 Posts
It's good to know the shifter won't fall off unless the bolt is removed. But it's been my experience the loose bolts are the ones that fall out first.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
I'll probably think twice about it next time.

I hate to send someone to the garage to disprove my posts.

Especially when they then feel the need to use bolding. Yikes.

The bold fonts were for everyone to see so they would not get paranoid if they were out riding and felt the shifter a bit loose.

Don't get your panties in a knot there honda dude, my trip the the garage was to satisfy my curiousity, not an expressed desire to prove you wrong. (I have never removed the shifter from the Vulcan, so was not sure)

And I was a bit concerned there might be something wrong with your bike.

You now know something about your bike you did not know before, sorry if the delivery of that sounded heavy handed...

... if you been here long enough you would know thats how I always come off to folks..............

KM

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bold fonts were for everyone to see so they would not get paranoid if they were out riding and felt the shifter a bit loose.

Don't get your panties in a knot there honda dude, my trip the the garage was to satisfy my curiousity, not an expressed desire to prove you wrong. (I have never removed the shifter from the Vulcan, so was not sure)

You now know something about your bike you did not know before, sorry if the delivery of that sounded heavy handed...

... if you been here long enough you would know thats how I always come off to folks..............

KM
I get it. It's just the way you are.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm thankful of the original posting, it caused me to look closely at the shifter. Having not yet hit 200 miles on my new '91, I need to look closely at every nut and bolt.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Fret not dude.

KM
I get it. It's just the way you are.
Told ya. LOL!!! :p :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts