Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I needed a luggage rack for the weekend so I took a stab at making one.

It's kinda crude, but I think it'll work

I used 1/2" round bar bent to shape with a vise and and a snipe. I used 1/8 x2" flatbar for the brackets and cross members.

I just need to weld it and paint it now.

Bending the roundbar in the vise.

Final shape.

I bent the flatbar to make a bit of an angle bracket.

I trimmed the ends to match the bracket.

Test fitting.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
What's supporting the rack in the rear?
The OEM rack was bolted in front like yours but also was bolted to the inside of the "sissy bar"....
Down here in the south we call it a piece of 2x4.:pepper: Who let the dogs out:rockon:

Couldn't resist......

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Im interested in what kind of tubing ya used Roach (specs)...I was gonna start fabbing some, but was gonna make em outta band....albeit heavier than tubing, but more solid IMO...I thought mebbe 3/4 for the frame, than 1/2 for the crosses....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Its tubing....look at the second pic....you can see the hollow in the cuts....

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Looked solid to me...

Pretty neat idea, easier to make than one of mine lol.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
its solid. blow the picture up and you can see it. besides unless he was sand bending tube, it would have folded tube making those bends

·
Registered
856 Posts
Pretty sweet. I've been thinking about making one of these up to replace the half arsed one i made out of flat bar. Now that I've finally got a proper 20amp line run, I can actually start playing with the welder I picked up early this year.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im interested in what kind of tubing ya used Roach (specs)...I was gonna start fabbing some, but was gonna make em outta band....albeit heavier than tubing, but more solid IMO...I thought mebbe 3/4 for the frame, than 1/2 for the crosses....
As I mentioned in the original post, it's 1/2" round bar (solid), and 1/8"x2" flatbar for the cross members.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What's supporting the rack in the rear?
The OEM rack was bolted in front like yours but also was bolted to the inside of the "sissy bar"....
Yep, it bolts up to the sissy bar just like the OEM one. You can see the tabs in the test fit pictures.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the unit welded together.

I have to admit I'm a little rusty behind the welding helmet, I kept getting overlap with my buddy's welder. But it'll work for the loading it'll see.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Its tubing....look at the second pic....you can see the hollow in the cuts....
Wolfie, you need to update your Eye Glass Prescription LOL :BLAM:

:smiley_th

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
The design with it 3+" clearance over tail light appears stylish....the trunk will still mount with access. I like !
:smiley_th

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
nice job Roach!
You always do good work anyway.....you are an icon to the forum with your teardown/rebuild videos. :notworthy

Can't wait to see it all painted up and mounted.....don't forget to add the final install photos.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finished Product

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i vote for a mass production of these with the option to chrome dip

my only thought for a change is that i would use skinnier flat bar and have more crossbars

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i vote for a mass production of these with the option to chrome dip

my only thought for a change is that i would use skinnier flat bar and have more crossbars
I agree. 3x 1" crossbars would have been better. I didn't want to buy two different sizes of stock, otherwise it would have been that way.

No production run here unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
No production run here unfortunately.
I beg to differ there Roach.....production of ONE piece was the comlete production run :beerchug:

did you give it a serial number of 0001??

I do that sometimes :loser1:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts