Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 386 Posts

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Too busy to put it on, but hope to get to it soon!
I haven't tore mine apart just yet to replace the plate, but I think that time will come here in a month or two. I'll post pictures.

It is a quality made kit, though. :smiley_th

·
Registered
483 Posts
hahaha.. same here.. Just haven't had the time with the holidays. I actually just had my hands on it last night debating on when to do it.

Will let you know for sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
PM sent. The mod doesn't look too difficult imho. A dremel is a definite asset though

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Hi everybody!

I have gotton a few PM's about the Tuxedo kits.....

I am sorry I have not been on in awhile, alot of hectic stuff was going on...

if you are interested in a Tuxedo Stator Mod style kit reply to this thread and will get a list going so I can make a few kits to sell;)

Price of the kit will be $50.00 shipped with tracking......

Also on a note, Tuxedo sent me a message about the ElectroSport Stators being a bit beefier then the OEM ones, so extra time needs to be takin to fit and center and get the depth of the stator in the rotor correct as not to rub.....

I made and installed the kit on a 1994 with a stock Stator..... The circimference is the same on the Electrosport, its the thickness.... The spacers in the kit that go between the new plate and stator might be a little thick and push the stator in to deep..... But when I assembled the stator kit on the 1994 with OEM stator it actually moved the stator outboard about 1/8 inch with my kit....I dont think the Electrosport stator will rub being in to deep, but keep in mind to double and triple check that you have no rubbing issues before you lock it all down and do final assembly.........

Add you name to the list!

Thanks!

1.Axelon20 -confirmed-payment info sent-
2.kc_matt -contacted to confirm if still want kit-
3.Bean -contacted to confirm if still want kit-

Rags:doh:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tuxedo stator mod kit

Hi everybody!

I have gotton a few PM's about the Tuxedo kits.....

I am sorry I have not been on in awhile, alot of hectic stuff was going on...

if you are interested in a Tuxedo Stator Mod style kit reply to this thread and will get a list going so I can make a few kits to sell;)

Price of the kit will be $50.00 shipped with tracking......

Also on a note, Tuxedo sent me a message about the ElectroSport Stators being a bit beefier then the OEM ones, so extra time needs to be takin to fit and center and get the depth of the stator in the rotor correct as not to rub.....

I made and installed the kit on a 1994 with a stock Stator..... The circimference is the same on the Electrosport, its the thickness.... The spacers in the kit that go between the new plate and stator might be a little thick and push the stator in to deep..... But when I assembled the stator kit on the 1994 with OEM stator it actually moved the stator outboard about 1/8 inch with my kit....I dont think the Electrosport stator will rub being in to deep, but keep in mind to double and triple check that you have no rubbing issues before you lock it all down and do final assembly.........

Add you name to the list!

Thanks!

1. I want one. Just need payment details. - Axelon20
Rags:doh:
I want one. Just need payment details. - Axelon20

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
PM sent ;)

I picked up a circle carbide cutter today for the drill press, I think it will make life alot easier to cut circles in the aluminum I use to make the plate in the kit...Keeping fingers crossed it will work out..... any who, I have all the plates patterned out in the aluminum sheet, looks to be I can cut out 6 more plates for kits.......I am starting plate cut-out tomorrow-Friday Feb 24

After I get the plates cut out I run to Ace Hardware and get all the bolts, spacers etc for the kit, then I use the OEM case half I accuired to use as a template to drill holes and trim for wire clearence and notches.....

Drill all the holes, then clean plate up, debur and polish.......

Drill spacers to proper size, cut and make guide bolts, trail fit my OEM stator to new plate and fit plate to case to make sure all lined up.

Package all the hardware needed for one kit, pack it up and ship it......

If all goes as planned with other stuff I have going on, should be packed and ready by Sunday and shipped out monday if that is okay.......

:smiley_th

PS: I am sorry I have not been online, I looked at my private messages and replied to the messages I got in the last month...... if I missed anybody I am sorry!

I have enough material to make 6 kits..... One is already called for, get your name on the list before they are gone, I wont know when I will be making another batch after this batch of 5 or 6.......

1.Axelon20 -confirmed-payment info sent-****SHIPPED****
2.kc_matt -contacted to confirm.....
3.Bean -confirmed-payment info sent-****SHIPPED****

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Your kit is finished,boxed and shipping labeled.... You should have tracking number from PayPal as USPS label was created from PayPal......

Will ship tomorrow :)

Enjoy!

I want one. Just need payment details. - Axelon20

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your kit is finished,boxed and shipping labeled.... You should have tracking number from PayPal as USPS label was created from PayPal......

Will ship tomorrow :)

Enjoy!
Thanks very much!:smiley_th I will try to post photos when I do the mod.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just got my Tuxedo stator mod kit today and I must say that I'm impressed! Fantastic job on finishing and deburring. Just for the heck of it I checked the hole locations on a CMM that we have where I work and I was amazed at how close the hole locations were in relation to each other. I was a machinist for 15 years and I've been in quality control for about 7 years, and it seems as if this plate was made on a mill. Excellent workmanship. Thanks Rags!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for the props ;)..... Just a back yard fabricator, I know I could have a machinist make these plates, but that would drive the cost up way to much... I make them all by hand... I found a new way to cut larger circles in aluminum with a HF carbide circle cutter and it worked out pretty good.... I have a spare engine side case I use to mark the holes.... takes a little work, but not hard, just time consuming... I know they are not perfect, but will get the job done and help out someone whom does not have access to certain tools to make the plate.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Just wanted to pass along I have a couple large car repair jobs,so going to be tied up for a bit... Waterpump and timing chain update kit on a 2002 Dodge Intrepid with 2.7 liter...oh joy.....my back is going to be hurting after this repair :)... Not an easy repair,but pays the bills ;).....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tuxedo stator mod install went great, but...

Got my new stator mod kit installed with a newly rebuilt stator from Tim Parrott. Stator works great !! Puts out the correct amount of pre-regulated AC voltage......unfortunately, I discovered that my brand new R/R is bad. G, B, and M contacts are all measuring open. I bought it on ebay back in September and I never thought to test it....ASSuming it was fine, being brand new. So it's been too long to get a refund, and I will be ordering another. Any advice from anyone on the best place to get an aftermarket R/R would be very kind.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Got my new stator mod kit installed with a newly rebuilt stator from Tim Parrott. Stator works great !! Puts out the correct amount of pre-regulated AC voltage......unfortunately, I discovered that my brand new R/R is bad. G, B, and M contacts are all measuring open. I bought it on ebay back in September and I never thought to test it....ASSuming it was fine, being brand new. So it's been too long to get a refund, and I will be ordering another. Any advice from anyone on the best place to get an aftermarket R/R would be very kind.
I replaced my bad aftermarket R/R with one pulled off a Ninja 600, as they share part numbers. I paid about $30 or so, and she works great.

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Want to let folks know what brand R/R it was so they can avoid the same mistake?

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Have the mod also and Tim Parrot stator and is working great, except for oil leak at bottom of outer cover... Rags, did you use two OEM gaskets, one on top of the other, and then the black silicone? I'm having no luck stopping the leak with one OEM gasket and the red silicone.....

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Any advice from anyone on the best place to get an aftermarket R/R would be very kind.
I have to say I'm exceptionally please with the mosfet I picked up. I opted for a used one from a different bike but I't working beautifully. If you chose to go this route be sure to wire it properly. The mosfet is a very efficient design.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Just a suggestion on gasket sealers.
I have been using this for a while now with great success:
http://www.permatex.com/brand_right_stuff.htm
You can literally run a bead, install the part, and fire it up.
Most parts stores carry it.
Seems to be less messy too.
Yes, I used that on my outer cover, put still getting a small leak, have to try a thicker gasket in addition to that, it was nice not having to wait a day.

Have you ever had to clean that stuff off? I have to take my cover off again and wondering how much of a nightmare the clean up is going to be....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Want to let folks know what brand R/R it was so they can avoid the same mistake?
no name on it. it was one of those that was real cheap on ebay.....made in china. seller doesn't exist anymore, at least, not under the name he had. Anyway, I found a shendegen brand R/R for $60 and i ordered it, but it turns out that it was for years 1986-1993 and my bike is a 1997. I hope to God that i can still use it or the old lady will probably kill me for wasting money. The part # is SH658-12. Does anyone know if this will work, or if there is any differences between the model years that i should know about, or can work around? BTW, thanks for all the help everyone !!
UPDATE !
Did a little digging through old emails. I bought this regulator on ebay from a seller named EMS Global. They still have a storefront, and it appears that most of what they sell is of decent quality, except for their kawasaki voltage R/R, which has no brand name that I could find. Anyways, I 'll stick with OEM, Shendegen, or perhaps a MOFSET design if I can find one. Hope this info is useful.

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
no name on it. it was one of those that was real cheap on ebay.....made in china. seller doesn't exist anymore, at least, not under the name he had. Anyway, I found a shendegen brand R/R for $60 and i ordered it, but it turns out that it was for years 1986-1993 and my bike is a 1997. I hope to God that i can still use it or the old lady will probably kill me for wasting money. The part # is SH658-12. Does anyone know if this will work, or if there is any differences between the model years that i should know about, or can work around? BTW, thanks for all the help everyone !!
I have a 94, and when I had a charging issue last year I thought maybe it was the R/R so I put a new one in, but it turned out to be the Stator.

It's the stock R/R, and as far as I know, it works fine. I'll send it out to you for free if you pay for the postage.

21 - 40 of 386 Posts